Update: administration readying ban on non-tobacco flavored e-cigarettes

On 9/6/2019 at 10:42 AM, silentbob said:

Glad I just use the dry flower for vaping my marijuana. I take it that all the vaping issues being discussed are for the liquid vaping forms only?

Black market marijuana vape cartridges specifically. I don't think this is really a concern if you live someplace where marijuana is legal and regulated.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Black market marijuana vape cartridges specifically. I don't think this is really a concern if you live someplace where marijuana is legal and regulated.

Good to know :sun:

I’m wondering how the GOP and the general public will respond to this issue with respect to marijuana legalization. To me, this strengthens the urgency of Federal legalization and regulation of all cannabis products. The FDA cannot act when cannabis is schedule 1. But I imagine some are going to spin this as ‘I told you so! We need to prohibit it in every state since it’s dangerous!’ 

This situation isn’t really shocking. What we have is a patchwork of state regulations and a massive black market. The state programs unleashed a bunch of cannabis products that go well beyond the flower of the plant. Now it’s not much different than a black market for booze or pharmaceuticals with respect to extracts and cartridges. 

1 minute ago, Massdriver said:

I’m wondering how the GOP and the general public will respond to this issue with respect to marijuana legalization. To me, this strengthens the urgency of Federal legalization and regulation of all cannabis products. The FDA cannot act when cannabis is schedule 1. But I imagine some are going to spin this as ‘I told you so! We need to prohibit it in every state since it’s dangerous!’ 

This situation isn’t really shocking. What we have is a patchwork of state regulations and a massive black market. The state programs unleashed a bunch of cannabis products that go well beyond the flower of the plant. Now it’s not much different than a black marker for booze or pharmaceuticals with respect to extracts and cartridges. 

Innovation has led to tinctures and edibles, etc. that open the door to people who may be put off by smoking marijuana, which is a good thing.  They may want (or need, in the cases of medicinal reasons) the benefits of THC and CBD without the smoke/smell.

12 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

This situation isn’t really shocking. What we have is a patchwork of state regulations and a massive black market. The state programs unleashed a bunch of cannabis products that go well beyond the flower of the plant. Now it’s not much different than a black marker for booze or pharmaceuticals with respect to extracts and cartridges. 

If the FDA comes back and says it's unregulated THC vapes doing this, it will be all the pretence needed to crack down on legalization states (but mostly just CA, OR, and WA. Not NV or MI)

12 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Innovation has led to tinctures and edibles, etc. that open the door to people who may be put off by smoking marijuana, which is a good thing.  They may want (or need, in the cases of medicinal reasons) the benefits of THC and CBD without the smoke/smell.

I’m perfectly fine with these innovations as long as they are safe and regulated. 

16 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

From the comments:

There is no reason to think it will have any effect. This had nothing to do with nicotine or flavoring, and it is infuriating to watch those things be conflated with this. They are literally unrelated. It's like someone getting sick on methenol poisoning from moonshine, and everyone freaking out by writing about how bad and evil Four Loco is for mixing caffeine and alcohol in response. Un-fucking-related. Likewise, this is just a report of a random black market marijuana bust. This is also unrelated to the poisonings as far as anyone knows; black market marijuana production has existed since we made a black market by banning the stuff. This article is literally two stories pretending to be one. One story is about a random, boring, and normal black market bust, the other story is about an unrelated black market contamination. It's weasily to put the two stories together in the same article under the implication that they are related (despite saying that there was no evidence that they are), but at least this is a vaguely related problem (black market weed), unlike flavors in nicotine vapes.

It's really frustrating to watch the amazing amount of bullshit reporting that is going on around this issue. We have a black market contaminate. New York has proven about as conclusively as you possibly can that it is black market contamination. Stop dragging in other unrelated issues. Bad stuff got into the black market supply; that's the entire story. We can talk about why there is a black market, why black markets result in dangerous products, how to keep black market goods out of white markets, and how to crush the black market down to an insignificant sector like we did with alcohol, but this has not a god damn thing to do with nicotine vapes, flavoring, regulation on THC, or regulation in general. People need to stop bringing that stuff up in relation to this story, because it isn't related.

Black market shit in unregulated black markets has nothing to do with nicotine, flavoring, regulations on THC vapes, or anything else like that.

• 1 month later...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2019/11/08/vaping-legal-age-go-up-expected-part-flavor-ban-next-week/2529259001/

Federal officials announced Friday they discovered an oily derivative of vitamin E in the lungs of patients hospitalized with vaping-related illnesses, a finding the principal deputy director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention called a "breakthrough."

The additive, vitamin E acetate, is sometimes used to dilute THC oil, particularly by street dealers. THC is the compound in marijuana that produces a “high."

Of 29 lung tissue samples from 10 states tested for the additive, all contained vitamin E acetate. 

"These new findings are significant because for the first time we have detected a potential toxin of concern — vitamin E acetate — in biologic samples from patients with lung injuries associated with the use of e-cigarette or vaping products," said the CDC's Dr. Anne Schuchat on a call with reporters.

She described it as a "breakthrough" that the additive was found "at the primary site of injury within the lung." 

The CDC reported as of Tuesday, the outbreak has sickened 2,051 people and resulted in 39 confirmed deaths. Schuchat noted the "trend in cases appears to be downward, but some states are still being hard hit."

The announcement of a possible cause of the lung injuries came soon after President Trump told reporters Friday morning the administration would raise the legal age to purchase electronic cigarettes nationally, likely to 21. The move is tied to a much-anticipated rule on flavored vaping products Trump said would be announced next week.

The legal age for vaping now varies by state with many allowing it at 18 and more increasing it to 21.

“We’re going to be coming out with a very important position on vaping," said Trump, speaking on the White House lawn. "We have to take care of our kids, most importantly, so we're going to have an age limit of 21, or so."