Update: administration readying ban on non-tobacco flavored e-cigarettes

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/other/utah-lung-disease-cases-from-vaping-quadruple-after-one-week/ar-AAGplZZ?ocid=AMZN

The number of lung disease cases related to people using e-cigarettes in Utah has quadrupled in the past week, the state's health department confirmed. The news comes on the heels of nearly 200 cases of severe lung illnesses among e-cigarette users nationwide. 

My wife works for a lung doctor, and while they don't have any particular expertise when it comes to vapes, one thing always holds true: putting anything in your lungs is bad for you.

I imagine there are a lot of potential variables that this could be related to; specific flavor/drug/other additives, temperature, or simply the the aerosol itself.

36 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

My wife works for a lung doctor, and while they don't have any particular expertise when it comes to vapes, one thing always holds true: putting anything in your lungs is bad for you.

I imagine there are a lot of potential variables that this could be related to; specific flavor/drug/other additives, temperature, or simply the the aerosol itself.

Almost like this shit should be regulated or something.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

Almost like this shit should be regulated or something.

In 2016, FDA finalized a rule extending CTP's regulatory authority to cover all tobacco products, including electronic nicotine delivery systems (ENDS) that meet the definition of a tobacco product. FDA regulates the manufacture, import, packaging, labeling, advertising, promotion, sale, and distribution of ENDS, including components and parts of ENDS but excluding accessories. 

https://www.fda.gov/tobacco-products/products-ingredients-components/vaporizers-e-cigarettes-and-other-electronic-nicotine-delivery-systems-ends

Some state health department and news reports suggest many of the cases of lung problems involve tetrahydrocannabinol, known as THC, the chemical in marijuana that causes psychological effects.

Boston University public health professor Michael Siegel said the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is being “unnecessarily vague” about describing the injuries as simply vaping-related when many people might have been injured by vaping THC oil. 

“Based on what we know now, I think there’s enough to tell people: Don’t vape THC oils – especially products that are bought off the street,” Siegel said. "There are certain things the agency could be recommending right now that could potentially save lives and prevent this from happening by being much more specific.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2019/08/28/critics-cdc-silent-vaping-thc-injuries-mount/2121523001/

tldr: THC vaping cartridges may be to blame, but it's too early to tell.  

52 minutes ago, TheGreatGamble said:

Cigarettes should be banned and removed from every store shelf. If we’re concerned about the deaths of Americans, we should be looking at more than just weapons. The health costs of nicotine are ridiculous.

I don't think it' the nicotine in and of itself but the delivery method.

2 hours ago, TheGreatGamble said:

Cigarettes should be banned and removed from every store shelf. If we’re concerned about the deaths of Americans, we should be looking at more than just weapons. The health costs of nicotine are ridiculous.

But higher sickness rates result in higher revenue for insurance companies and hospitals. Really, the most patriotic thing to do is eliminate all regulations and boost the American economy through massive waves of illnesses.

29 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

But higher sickness rates result in higher revenue for insurance companies and hospitals. Really, the most patriotic thing to do is eliminate all regulations and boost the American economy through massive waves of illnesses.

Iirc smokers cost less than nonsmoker's because they die more quickly, and earlier in life.

5 hours ago, TheGreatGamble said:

No they should not. That’s prohibition which has tons of negative consequences.They should be fully legal to possess, sell, and purchase, but they should only be allowed in stores which only sell tobacco products, not available at every gas station. It should be 21 to buy or possess and excise taxes should remain elevated to discourage over consumption. Taxing and further regulating and educating people on their negative health effects has been working quite well without resorting to turning over a multi billion dollar industry to cartels. 

On 8/27/2019 at 4:38 PM, Massdriver said:

Vaporizers, all vape liquids, and all cannabis extracts should be regulated at the Federal level. 

And, go fucking figure, I was just reading an article that at least in New York, it was all from marijuana vapes, not from nicotine vapes. 

Well, it certainly makes sense. Take an oil, turn it into a vapor, get it into your lungs, vapor turns back to oil, now you have oil in your lungs.

It does make me wonder if there are other, non-cannabis vape solutions that use vitamin E acetate or any other oils. I'm sure someone at the FDA is trying to figure that out right now.

On 8/29/2019 at 4:41 PM, Massdriver said:

No they should not. That’s prohibition which has tons of negative consequences.They should be fully legal to possess, sell, and purchase, but they should only be allowed in stores which only sell tobacco products, not available at every gas station. It should be 21 to buy or possess and excise taxes should remain elevated to discourage over consumption. Taxing and further regulating and educating people on their negative health effects has been working quite well without resorting to turning over a multi billion dollar industry to cartels. 

It should stay at 18 which is old enough.