NBC is removing 'The Office' from Netflix in 2021 and putting it on its new streaming service

3 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

<---- Never got rid of cable, feeling pretty smug right about now :p

3 hours ago, ort said:

I also have cable. The experience of watching shows recorded off of cable onto a TiVo is still 10 times better than streaming.

lol.  Nah.

Just because the new system is still all getting worked out does not mean that a caveman setup is preferable.  

A good setup with cable or DirecTV is going to run you about $140 per month (a setup with a healthy package of channels, HD, multiple tuners etc)  You can pay for LOTS of streaming services with that money.

17 hours ago, John said:

I'm talking about everybody saying NBC doesn't have anything worth watching yet Brooklyn Nine-Nine was saved by NBC. Sounds like nobody here plans on watching it.

I’ll watch it as it airs. Same with the final season of The Good Place. 

On 6/27/2019 at 1:45 PM, Spork3245 said:

How is it better than the DVRs built into cable/satellite boxes these days? (Honestly asking, not being sarcastic)

Well, I don't have a ton of experience with those other systems, so it's hard to say... in my limited time messing with my parents and brothers setups, I feel pretty good. Mine are on lifetime service, so it's a sunk cost at this point.

Word on the street is that as far as DVRs go, TiVo is still king. I don't know for sure, but I do know that this won't last forever...

On 6/27/2019 at 11:00 AM, SFLUFAN said:

<---- Never got rid of cable, feeling pretty smug right about now :p

Except...does CBS even show Star Trek:Discovery on it's regular Cable Channel?  It looks like networks are looking to paywall some of their better content to make extra money.

4 hours ago, Alpha1Cowboy said:

Except...does CBS even show Star Trek:Discovery on it's regular Cable Channel?  It looks like networks are looking to paywall some of their better content to make extra money.

Not always “better”. In the case of CBS they’re just trying to exploit the fans of Star Trek, because they feel it is too niche for broadcast tv where they would have to sell the show to sponsors. 

16 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Today it's even worse. All the gay and sexist jokes really haven't helped it stand the test of time.

Everything of that era has already aged super poorly in this regard. There’s just so much material that involves tricking women into sex, casual homophobia, etc.

34 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Everything of that era has already aged super poorly in this regard. There’s just so much material that involves tricking women into sex, casual homophobia, etc.

Definitely true. But I think Friends is one of the worst in that sense. Its competition for "best 90s sitcom" holds up somewhat well in that regard as the characters in Seinfeld are routinely punished for their exploits.

36 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

For many of those shows, the guys get screwed, but not how they wanted. I feel for a lot of the quality shows shows, the homosexual was displayed in a positive light, while the scared straight guy looked silly. Frasier did it three times, though the third time the drama was more simply why Frasier was OK with being in a "power couple." But the first two times, Frasier and his dad end up looking silly with how they overcompensate because the gay character is easily accepting and isn't try to force anything.

Seinfeld was great at this because George looked ridiculous anytime he was worried that he might be gay. The episode where Jerry starts to express his feelings, George is nervous, but Kramer's just like, "I love you too, buddy." 

Side note: In Seinfeld, The Limo may have aged poorly because there weren't people trying to "both sides" George at the end during the protests. :shock: 

24 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Definitely true. But I think Friends is one of the worst in that sense. Its competition for "best 90s sitcom" holds up somewhat well in that regard as the characters in Seinfeld are routinely punished for their exploits.

Friends is an interesting case because I have to assume that the writers thought they were being progressive. Ross’s ex (I cannot recall the character’s name) is gay, Ross is generally supportive of her, etc. 

There’s (hopefully) a huge extent to which the “no homo” through Superbad era ages badly.

I’d challenge the notion that anyone on Seinfeld is meaningfully punished for the antics of the main cast aside from Susan. :p  Somewhat more seriously, Seinfeld does pretty well for its time aside from the whole, “not that there’s anything wrong with that” screed which was no homo before no homo was a thing. 

21 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

For many of those shows, the guys get screwed, but not how they wanted. I feel for a lot of the quality shows shows, the homosexual was displayed in a positive light, while the scared straight guy looked silly. Frasier did it three times, though the third time the drama was more simply why Frasier was OK with being in a "power couple." But the first two times, Frasier and his dad end up looking silly with how they overcompensate because the gay character is easily accepting and isn't try to force anything.

Seinfeld was great at this because George looked ridiculous anytime he was worried that he might be gay. The episode where Jerry starts to express his feelings, George is nervous, but Kramer's just like, "I love you too, buddy." 

Side note: In Seinfeld, The Limo may have aged poorly because there weren't people trying to "both sides" George at the end during the protests. :shock: 

Frasier is kind of an interesting case as well. I dunno that you could have a show today where a non trivial part of the humor is derived from a woman who is so shrewish, frail, and frigid that she could not possibly be shown on screen. :p  

David Hyde Pierce wasn’t out at the time Frasier was on, I think. I don’t know if he was out privately. I’d assume you’re less likely to get gay characters as caricature on a show if one of the main stars is out, but who knows. 

Just now, Kal-El814 said:

Friends is an interesting case because I have to assume that the writers thought they were being progressive. Ross’s ex (I cannot recall the character’s name) is gay, Ross is generally supportive of her, etc.

Even with her though, there was always some Ross line where he talks about her. "I should have known because she liked this one action movie. I should have known because she drank this one redneck beer." And shit like that constantly.

7 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Even with her though, there was always some Ross line where he talks about her. "I should have known because she liked this one action movie. I should have known because she drank this one redneck beer." And shit like that constantly.

Oh yeah, absolutely. I just have to assume the mentality was that because they were inclusive enough to have her character on the show at all, any kind of reaction to it was fine. 

Which is silly because there’s plenty of fertile ground to cover if a dude ends up getting bailed on by a partner he assumed was straight, who was closeted, who realized they were queer late, etc. They cover some of it but a lot of it is the lowest hanging fruit on the tree.  

EDIT - which is all why representation is so important. Not every gay dude shits glitter, not every lesbian has a dog and a Subaru. Those people exist and deserve to be represented but when the portrayals are few and far between every one of them has to do so much heavy lifting which is just lousy. 

59 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Frasier is kind of an interesting case as well. I dunno that you could have a show today where a non trivial part of the humor is derived from a woman who is so shrewish, frail, and frigid that she could not possibly be shown on screen. :p  

David Hyde Pierce wasn’t out at the time Frasier was on, I think. I don’t know if he was out privately. I’d assume you’re less likely to get gay characters as caricature on a show if one of the main stars is out, but who knows. 

I don't see the problem in the former, honestly. For the latter, I'm pretty sure they made him like Frasier when you first met him in Cheers, not someone who's supposed to be like a gay guy. Unless I'm totally misreading you. :p 

5 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

For the latter, I'm pretty sure they made him like Frasier when you first met him in Cheers, not someone who's supposed to be like a gay guy. Unless I'm totally misreading you. :p 

I don't think I wrote my thoughts especially well... I was trying to speculate about whether or not DHP was out amongst friends while Frasier was on the air, and if so, whether or not having a gay man in the cast made people less likely to write shitty gay characters / reactions to them.

On 6/30/2019 at 5:45 PM, GeneticBlueprint said:

Today it's even worse. All the gay and sexist jokes really haven't helped it stand the test of time.

This affects more than some might think. I’ve recently rewatched some 90s Disney animated movies with scenes that of in movies today would be called out for being homophobic. 

What was was funny and acceptable 20-30 years ago, even in your more “wholesome family entertainment”,  gets you blasted on social media to if attempted today. 

I think we’ve moved faster socially in the past 10 years than in the previous 100 years. 

2 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

This affects more than some might think. I’ve recently rewatched some 90s Disney animated movies with scenes that of in movies today would be called out for being homophobic. 

What was was funny and acceptable 20-30 years ago, even in your more “wholesome family entertainment”,  gets you blasted on social media to if attempted today. 

I think we’ve moved faster socially in the past 10 years than in the previous 100 years. 

At the same time, you'd NEVER get a show like All in the Family which addressed serious social issues in the 1970s on network television today.  If anything, in many aspects, network television was more "progressive" (God, I DESPISE that word!) in the 1970s than it is today.

5 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

At the same time, you'd NEVER get a show like All in the Family which addressed serious social issues in the 1970s on network television today.  If anything, in many aspects, network television was more "progressive" (God, I DESPISE that word!) in the 1970s than it is today.

This is a very progressive viewpoint and I respect it.

On 7/3/2019 at 9:44 AM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I just sat up too late watching The Office. Nellie isn't as annoying as I remember, or maybe I just haven't seen enough of her yet. 

I was annoyed by both Nellie and Robert California when the show originally aired but I've definitely come around on them.