Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) - Information Thread, update: Update 2.1 "Overview" trailer and patch notes

legend

23 minutes ago, Ominous said:

FPS rpgs with a central story and branching outcomes based on your actions with side quests, crafting, and open exploration? 

Yeah you can group parts together but Starfield seems to lean much more into being a RPG while Cyberpunk leans more to being GTA. If i felt like playing one of them, playing the other certainly would not scratch the same itch for me.

• True 2
  • Halal 1

23 minutes ago, stepee said:

Yeah you can group parts together but Starfield seems to lean much more into being a RPG while Cyberpunk leans more to being GTA. If i felt like playing one of them, playing the other certainly would not scratch the same itch for me.

I'm playing both currently and the really don't feel similar at all. Like you said, Cyberpunk feels closer to a GTA game than a Bethesda style RPG especially now. I'm enjoying both but as @best3444 said, the sense of wonder, exploration and discovery is what Starfield has going for it. Same as Skyrim... just wandering through the world and stumbling across some unexpected quest or character is the true appeal of these games. Cyberpunk as good as it is doesn't really have that which is surprising considering The Witcher 3 did.

• Like 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) - Information Thread, update: Digital Foundry Cyberpunk 2077 2.0 DLSS 3.5 Deep Dive
WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Plus: has the 2.0 upgrade delivered tech improvements to the established game?

Jumping into image quality, Phantom Liberty has two modes on each current-gen consoles - a performance and ray-tracing mode on PS5 and Series X, and a performance and quality mode on Series S. Here are the pixel counts I observed on each platform, playing through an early area of the game and trying my best to push the game. Some things seemed to have changed as of the latest update. Even when looking straight up at the sky for minimal GPU load, Series S seems to have lower maximum resolutions than prior updates, and the quality mode seems to have a basically flat resolution now. It's probable that the game could go lower than the figures I've included here of course, but these numbers should be representative of the typical run of play.

However, I did notice in a few shots that the Xbox consoles sometimes had very crude edge detail as I panned the camera rapidly, specifically in dark, low-contrast areas of the screen, resolving to about half the main resolution of the image. This likely indicates the use of hardware variable rate shading on those systems to conserve GPU performance. I didn't notice the same issues on PS5, so it seems likely that VRS is absent from that version. In actual gameplay, I didn't find that the VRS was noticeable.

Outside of those key changes, the other notable tweak is a change to the basic rendering setup of the game on PS5 and Series X. In the performance mode, Cyberpunk 2077 now has an 1800p FSR 2 output resolution, down from 2160p. In stills, the game just looks a little bit less defined now, with a slightly blurrier rendition of fine details. Actually playing the game with any sort of reasonable distance from a 4K television, it seems very hard to tell the difference. The FSR 2 resolve also has very similar characteristics to before, with a mostly smooth resolve complicated by some shimmer and breakup on fine details. And in a few of the spots where the FSR 2 failed to resolve stable detail before, the exact same issue recurs on the new patch.

In terms of performance, Dogtown does seem a touch heavier than Night City. I noticed substantial frame-rate issues during open-world traversal on all current gen platforms in their respective performance modes. This was most pronounced on the Series S, which can see extended dips into the 50s, though the more powerful current-gen consoles also take some hits here. Basically any time you are walking or driving through Dogtown - especially at speed - the game can't seem to quite keep up. I suspect that these issues are primarily related to CPU performance, given the game's performance profile on PC. Combat also takes occasional hits with some momentary pockets of dropped frames, though this is less intrusive.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) - Information Thread, update: Digital Foundry PS5/Xbox Series Tech Review

I'm definitely getting back into the groove of this game. Motorcycling in first person through the city and rural areas with the radio on through the rain remains one of the most chill gaming experiences. It was enjoyable before, but the driving does feel tighter than I remember which is great. I haven't even gotten into the vehicle combat stuff yet either. This game and Spider-man are probably the only games where I don't fast travel because I enjoy the travel itself.

And dashing + double jump feels great too. I'm slowly working my way toward David Martinez's fate :p 

Haven't started PL just yet. I have the main quest open that opens it up after that, but I will probably level up a bit more before starting it.

10 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Being a Bethesda RPG in space 

I actually think it sucks really, really bad at being exactly that. Which is impressive, as that's all most people wanted. How they managed to break space into little chunks and nonstop loading screens is seriously impressive.

You know that feeling you get in Bethesda games where it's still pretty early in and the game hasn't been out very long and it can be enjoyable to explore in just about any direction? Well, I expected them to at least try to do that with space flight. You know, really compress space down a bit rather than trying to be realistic, so you could find weird shit in space. But they went with a weird menu screen instead. Hugely disappointing.

11 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I actually think it sucks really, really bad at being exactly that. Which is impressive, as that's all most people wanted. How they managed to break space into little chunks and nonstop loading screens is seriously impressive.

You know that feeling you get in Bethesda games where it's still pretty early in and the game hasn't been out very long and it can be enjoyable to explore in just about any direction? Well, I expected them to at least try to do that with space flight. You know, really compress space down a bit rather than trying to be realistic, so you could find weird shit in space. But they went with a weird menu screen instead. Hugely disappointing.

Tired Good Night GIF

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, stepee said:

Both games are video games so they are very similar and comparable.

20 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Why do Starfield and Cyberpunk Punk get compared? They are litteraly two different types game. :shameonyou:

Because they’re both first person RPGs with shooting mechanics that released/essentially re-released in the same window and people are incredibly bored (which is weird because the amount of quality games that came out in the past 3 months is insane, let alone the past 3-ish weeks)

• Halal 1

3 hours ago, best3444 said:

Why do Starfield and Cyberpunk Punk get compared? They are litteraly two different types game. :shameonyou:

Why does Bethesda get hate while CDPR get a pass even though they released a pure shit game at the start that was pulled? I’ll tell you why. Cause PC nerds love them and the eye candy they provide for their rigs. 

2 hours ago, Biggie said:

Why does Bethesda get hate while CDPR get a pass even though they released a pure shit game at the start that was pulled? I’ll tell you why. Cause PC nerds love them and the eye candy they provide for their rigs. 

And it ran well on my rig too. Game should never have come out for last gen systems, and should have waited a year for the current gen consoles so they could figure out how to downgrade enough to fit on their substandard hardware. 

oh CDPR and CP2077 definitely got shit back in 2020, but it also wasn’t as bad on PC comparatively as it was on console. And today it has had so many updates and improvements that it is far and away a better looking and performing game. To compare CP2077 to Starfield today isn’t as apples to apples. But we have short memories. It’s like people comparing SF steam review scores to FO76. Fo76 has had years to turn it around and has. So the review score has gone UP over the past 5 years. 

As for comparing the types of games CP2077 and SF are, I heard something several days ago that kind of resonated. The world off of CP2077, Night City is a character itself in the game’s story. In Bethesda RPGs and Star Field especially the game world is a sandbox. You’re not meant to have the same type experiences or invoke the same feeling from them. Depending on what you’re looking for could inform for you which has the better open world. 

• Halal 1

CDPR got an absolute ton of shit when Cyberpunk launched. It was pulled from an online store! It took WAY more shit than Starfield is taking, it’s not even close. 

The difference is that Cyberpunk just got a new coat of paint that’s going over very well and people keep running into the boundaries of Starfield, both actual and practical. 

Lol yeah, Cyberpunk was getting endlessly shit on by PC gamers when it came out (except for perhaps those who just bought a 3080/3090 which also just released at the time and didn't suffer so many bugs), to the point that it felt like people were just loving to hate it. The difference is they fixed many of their mistakes and even improved the game in areas it was already good. So naturally, people are more positive on it now. It's not that complicated.

1 minute ago, Biggie said:

Yeah I know it got shit but it also gets a pass and forgiveness. Most games don’t or wouldn’t. Not many games actually get pulled lol. 

Which games that were massively improved since release didn't get a second chance (at least in terms of opinion) with their updates? There are few games in that category. Most bad games stay bad. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is No Man's Sky, and it also got lots of good will from their continued updates.

9 minutes ago, legend said:

Which games that were massively improved since release didn't get a second chance (at least in terms of opinion) with their updates? There are few games in that category. Most bad games stay bad. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is No Man's Sky, and it also got lots of good will from their continued updates.

That and Final Fantasy XIV are the only ones that immediately come to mind. 

• True 1

1 hour ago, legend said:

You're a PC nerd, I get it.  No need to defend yourself.

There are other games that dramatically improved over time and had people more or less forgive them, including some of the biggest games of all time.

GTA:O and Fortnite both had launches that, while not disasters, were not successes. Destiny and Destiny 2 didn't really get good until at least their first expansions. I never played Sea of Thieves or Warframe, but I heard both really got better after some updates. The Master Chief Collection had broken multiplayer at launch and was missing games and really improved. AC:Unity was buggy and broken at launch, but has seen its reputation really quite positively over the years.

I'll agree that these games are the minority, and even with big games, when they suck at release they don't usually get better.

I think with Cyberpunk, the shift has been largely because so much of the issues were technical. Even at launch it was a hugely impressive game in many ways that remain outliers. The scale and density of the world, the choreography of the missions, the flexibility in the gameplay, and just the sheer amount of stuff was all there at launch, it's just that so many people couldn't experience it. Once the major bugs were squashed it was already an excellent game.

11 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I’m starting to wonder if some of you buy games to analyze them instead of playing them :raisedbrow:

I buy games to do both! I get twice as much out of my games than some nerd who just buys them to play them and wants lazy "yeah bro this is good" reactions to justify their purchase. I never feel like I need to justify purchasing, enjoying, or not enjoying a game. The game is what it is and taking anything about a corporate product as a personal slight or an attack on your fun is just weird.

If you bought a Walmart brand camping chair and it was squeaky as hell when it leaned back, everyone would think it's weird as fuck when someone said that chair squeaks and the person in the chair was like "Bro do you just buy chairs to analyze them or are you gonna SIT"

1 minute ago, Xbob42 said:

I buy games to do both! I get twice as much out of my games than some nerd who just buys them to play them and wants lazy "yeah bro this is good" reactions to justify their purchase. I never feel like I need to justify purchasing, enjoying, or not enjoying a game. The game is what it is and taking anything about a corporate product as a personal slight or an attack on your fun is just weird.

I said "play them" didn't say anything about "enjoying" them :nottalking:

I played 2 hours of the 2.0 version tonight and it's much improved to the point I'm definitely playing it. I also bought the dlc tonight as well so I look forward to playing this along with Starfield. V is growing on me and she isn't as annoying as I originally thought. The game is terrific. 

Mind main complaint is using the brain technology to analyze events to figure out different scenarios. I find it mind numbingly stupid and a waste of time. 

How the tables have turned. I put in 6 hours of Cyberpunk 2.0 in last night and this morning.

- The visuals are clearly better than Starfield 

-The city and world are much more realistic and alive feeling AND massive with no loading. They look more detailed and realistic 

- The NPC'S look VASTLY better than in Starfield and there are many more on screen, too. I don't want to ever hear the excuse that NPC'S in open world games are excusably bad looking due to the size of the game.

- The story and characters are lifelike and way more interesting than in Starfield with much better authentic dialogue 

- The gun play is better and more fun with a lot of different variety to it

- There is virtually no loading screens and this incredibly large world they created is cohesive and interconnected with no hitches.

- Most importantly the game is much more fun, interesting, and fast paced compared to Starfield. Things move fast and are really fun

I had to adjust to V but I like her now and driving around the city and seeing hundreds of detailed NPC'S is extremely impressive. I'm taking a big break from Starfield and beating 2.0 along with the Liberty dlc I bought now.

With the incredible additions to this game it's one of the better games out right now. The scores of 9's and 10's across the board for this updated version of Cyberpunk is absolutely well deserved. Driving in the incredibly detailed city and interacting with gangs is really impressive. It's like Starfield was a last gen game compared to this.

@Biggie you are missing out on a terrific game just because you think it’s "stupid af". Have you ever played this? It's an incredible game where I have a difficult time putting the controller down. 

BTW, I still really enjoy Starfield for what is but Cyberpunk completely opened my eyes in what games can do. Bethesda is extremely old school in every department and I have seen the light. I'm not giving up on Starfield but I never gave it high praise either ranking it at liken 8.5 early at release. I'm not flip flopping like you always accuse me in doing but I am just shocked what CDPR has done with this game. 

PLAY IT!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, best3444 said:

How the tables have turned. I put in 6 hours of Cyberpunk 2.0 in last night and this morning.

- The visuals are clearly better than Starfield 

-The city and world are much more realistic and alive feeling AND massive with no loading. They look more detailed and realistic 

- The NPC'S look VASTLY better than in Starfield and there are many more on screen, too. I don't want to ever hear the excuse that NPC'S in open world games are excusably bad looking due to the size of the game.

- The story and characters are lifelike and way more interesting than in Starfield with much better authentic dialogue 

- The gun play is better and more fun with a lot of different variety to it

- There is virtually no loading screens and this incredibly large world they created is cohesive and interconnected with no hitches.

- Most importantly the game is much more fun, interesting, and fast paced compared to Starfield. Things move fast and are really fun

I had to adjust to V but I like her now and driving around the city and seeing hundreds of detailed NPC'S is extremely impressive. I'm taking a big break from Starfield and beating 2.0 along with the Liberty dlc I bought now.

With the incredible additions to this game it's one of the better games out right now. The scores of 9's and 10's across the board for this updated version of Cyberpunk is absolutely well deserved. Driving in the incredibly detailed city and interacting with gangs is really impressive. It's like Starfield was a last gen game compared to this.

@Biggie you are missing out on a terrific game just because you think it’s "stupid af". Have you ever played this? It's an incredible game where I have a difficult time putting the controller down. 

BTW, I still really enjoy Starfield for what is but Cyberpunk completely opened my eyes in what games can do. Bethesda is extremely old school in every department and I have seen the light. I'm not giving up on Starfield but I never gave it high praise either ranking it at liken 8.5 early at release. I'm not flip flopping like you always accuse me in doing but I am just shocked what CDPR has done with this game. 

PLAY IT!

You’re dead to me

• Haha 2