Microsoft E3 2019 Briefing: Viewing and Discussion Thread

Aside from the Double Fine acquisition, this was the same conference they’ve given numerous times before.  All the same flaws as normal. 

Microsoft needs to grow the confidence to demo their games.  We didn’t need a lavishly produced trailer for a Gears multiplayer mode.  And as our first official look at the next generation, the Halo cutscene wasn’t even as magical as last year’s teaser.

Excellent indie game selections though, as always.  And it’s a positive that Games Pass doesn’t need Gold.  I hope they’re not pulling a fast one there.  There’s still the issue of it costing $5 more a month (online play included) you’re a console gamer.  And I want to know if they’d let you use your PC as an xCloud server.  (Doesn’t Steam do this now essentially?)

No Gears Tactics.  No Fable.  No talk about Scarlett other than the bare minimum to answer Sony.  (Well, other than a date)

Starting with Obsidion’s multi-platform game was probably a bad sign for this conference as a whole.

Game Pass will be the reason that I get an Xbox instead of a Playstation the next time I buy a console.  Most of my favorite games are third party, so exclusive games don't do a lot for me, and I usually only play through games once before selling/trading them.  Being able to drop $10 a month to play one or two games that might cost $30 or $60 if I purchased them at retail is a no-brainer, and the influx of interesting indie games is a huge plus - that's what I primarily play anyway.

1 minute ago, Firewithin said:

anyone know if you converted your game pass to ultimate why the new PC app doesnt show ?  is that for strictly PC game pass right now?

I had Xbox gold and console game pass and upgrade to ultimate. You will then have ultimate and it will cancel the other two as they are a part of the ultimate service. It will carry your current time on each of those services that you've already paid for, but I'm not honestly sure how? 

Well, I don't know what next gen console I will get. I hope I don't have to get any.  It use to be that I had to eventually go Sony to get some exclusive JRPGs, but Sony hasn't been that great in that department anymore. Or rather, PC has started getting everything Sony got. Sony is also implementing changes to their philosophy that I don't agree with. But MS has been having a strong showing. The issue is that I don't know if I'll ever have to get an Xbox since I have a PC. I mean, that isn't an issue at all as that is great. I use to be be in favor of console and their exclusives, especially in regard to Nintendo, but now I just wish everything would come to PC. 

19 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Well, I don't know what next gen console I will get. I hope I don't have to get any.  It use to be that I had to eventually go Sony to get some exclusive JRPGs, but Sony hasn't been that great in that department anymore. Or rather, PC has started getting everything Sony got. Sony is also implementing changes to their philosophy that I don't agree with. But MS has been having a strong showing. The issue is that I don't know if I'll ever have to get an Xbox since I have a PC. I mean, that isn't an issue at all as that is great. I use to be be in favor of console and their exclusives, especially in regard to Nintendo, but now I just wish everything would come to PC. 

The best reasons to buy consoles anymore are exclusives.  Only Nintendo and Sony have those.

IMO, a strong or weak Microsoft matters more in the way an Ubisoft or EA having a good conference does.

I’m happy to cheer their studios on, and play several of those games.  But they de facto made me uninterested in their hardware when they dropped their best reasons to get one.

1 minute ago, SoberChef said:

So according to Major Nelson, the Elite 2.0 Controller will launch in November with a $179.99 price tag (OUCH!)

ROFL.

7 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

The best reasons to buy consoles anymore are exclusives.  Only Nintendo and Sony have those.

IMO, a strong or weak Microsoft matters more in the way an Ubisoft or EA having a good conference does.

I’m happy to cheer their studios on, and play several of those games.  But they de facto made me uninterested in their hardware when they dropped their best reasons to get one.

Ayup.

7 minutes ago, SoberChef said:

So according to Major Nelson, the Elite 2.0 Controller will launch in November with a $179.99 price tag (OUCH!)

$30 more than the OG Elite. 

I'll say if you have the money to spend its a worthy investment and is a great gaming pad (the OG anyways)

If you are happily fine with the regular gamepad then there is no reason to worry about it. 

• Haha 1

I was really underwhelmed by Gears 4.  By the numbers gameplay and annoying new characters.  Hope Gears 5 is better and the characters are more tolerable now that they've grown up.  

The fucking game comes out this year. .  WHY no gameplay?!

28 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Oh, the things I could spend $180 on...

A fucking controller is not one of them. JFC.

Cool, good for you. 

Its like no one acknowledges that there is a market for these controllers. Scuf has been selling controllers since the 360 days for $250+. 

Xbox releases a first party controller that isn't someone drilling holes into an xbox controller for $150 - $180 that is much better quality and everyone flips. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nokt said:

Cool, good for you. 

Its like no one acknowledges that there is a market for these controllers. Scuf has been selling controllers since the 360 days for $250+. 

Xbox releases a first party controller that isn't someone drilling holes into an xbox controller for $150 - $180 that is much better quality and everyone flips. 

Sure there's a market for people to blow money on bullshit. We all know this. 

Just now, Nokt said:

https://www.polygon.com/2016/6/28/12054686/microsoft-1-million-xbox-one-elite-controllers

Sold a million in 8 months. Maybe a little more popular than people just blowing money. 

I can see it if you're one of those professional gamers who has to have everything just perfect. 

But for most people, yeah, it's blowing money. We all do it to some extent. Doesn't mean it's worth it or it's smart.