Star Wars will take a break after Episode IX

SFLUFAN posted this in the Celebration thread, but I wanted to post it in general to those not following that thread. :) 

“We have not announced any specific plans for movies thereafter,” Iger said in a Bloomberg Television interview Thursday. “There are movies in development, but we have not announced them.”

The upcoming film, which doesn’t yet have a title, is the ninth in the so-called Skywalker saga and slated for release on Dec. 20. It’s the third installment of a film trilogy that Disney began with “The Force Awakens” in 2015.

After that, the franchise will focus more on TV projects, Iger said.

“We will take a pause, some time, and reset,” he said, “because the Skywalker saga comes to an end with this ninth movie. There will be other Stars Wars movies, but there will be a bit of a hiatus.”

14 hours ago, number305 said:

Sorry, I was informed in the other sw thread that planning a coherent story arc is over rated. 

Most of the best narrative series you’ve enjoyed didn’t, so, overrated indeed.

On one hand this is sad because I want more Star Wars movies, and I hope this isn't an overreaction to Solo underperforming (which was a good, fun movie), but on the other I don't want to be over saturated with Star Wars movies, and want to make sure each one feels special, so if this improves quality, then I'll take it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brick said:

On one hand this is sad because I want more Star Wars movies, and I hope this isn't an overreaction to Solo underperforming (which was a good, fun movie), but on the other I don't want to be over saturated with Star Wars movies, and want to make sure each one feels special, so if this improves quality, then I'll take it. 

It's not an overreaction to Solo - it's the reality that none of the other film trilogies are anywhere near to being in production.

19 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

It's not an overreaction to Solo - it's the reality that none of the other film trilogies are anywhere near to being in production.

And Disney+. The investment, not even financially,  but in terms of production pipeline capacity is massive. They will be rebalancing their entire production apparatus over the next 5 yearns as they build their original streaming content library to compliment their theatrical originated content.

Marvel has already been playing in both spaces, but Disney is really ramping up that side in a major way.

4 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

Well the new trilogies of course are a ways off, but I thought maybe we'd get a couple more standalone films. 

26 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Oh those!  Disney announced last year that they were canning plans for those because they correctly surmised after Solo that no one really wanted them to begin with :p

I thought that was just a rumour/speculation.

2 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

Oh those!  Disney announced last year that they were canning plans for those because they correctly surmised after Solo that no one really wanted them to begin with :p

LOL, people just didn't want Solo, I think they would have had an audience for more Rogue Ones. 

http://collider.com/upcoming-star-wars-movies-rian-johnson/#images

“We’re not just looking at what the next three movies might be, or talking about this in terms of a trilogy. We’re looking at: What is the next decade of storytelling?”

Kennedy said the creative braintrust will be mapping out a strategy, and central to that strategy are new film series from Star Wars: The Last Jedi writer/director Rian Johnson and Game of Thrones showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss. We previously learned that Johnson was creating a new trilogy of Star Wars films focusing on new characters in a new setting, and Benioff and Weiss were separately hired to create their own new series of films. But Kennedy tells EW that Benioff and Weiss are actually working together with Johnson to plan out the future of the franchise:

“As they finish Game of Thrones, they’re going to segue into Star Wars,” Kennedy said. “They’re working very closely with Rian.”

However, when it comes to the timeline, that “a long time ago” part could be altered either way—a longer time ago, or a shorter time ago—with this next phase of Star Wars filmmaking, says Kennedy:

“Yes, absolutely. I think that that’s absolutely on the horizon,” she said. “We’re looking at whether we can move massively in one direction of the other. It’s still Star Wars, and holding on to the DNA of what George Lucas created is still very important to us. I think this is a huge opportunity to step into the galaxy in a little bit different part of the timeline.”

Just now, Alpha1Cowboy said:

The only one I really fully wanted was an Obi Wan movie with Ewan McGregor.  That would have fit in perfectly with the age of the actor and a period of time that was interesting.   

But...we've got Star Wars related TV series so thats good.

We’ve had enough Obi-Wan in Clone Wars. He became the cattiest Jedi in the galaxy. 

9 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

We’ve had enough Obi-Wan in Clone Wars. He became the cattiest Jedi in the galaxy. 

What I'm curious about is really his own reflection on his failure with Anakin....I feel he really failed Qui Gon Jinn.....and the Jedi at large.   (Begin Nerd Talk)  I feel that Qui Gon understanding of the Living Force versus the Will of the Force would have prevented Anakin from falling to Palpatine's emotional manipulation and exposed the Sith.   Both Yoda and Obi-Wan seemed to have changed their views in that timeframe to more closely match Qui Gonn Jinns.

On 4/13/2019 at 12:49 PM, sblfilms said:

Most of the best narrative series you’ve enjoyed didn’t, so, overrated indeed.

13 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

http://collider.com/upcoming-star-wars-movies-rian-johnson/#images

“We’re not just looking at what the next three movies might be, or talking about this in terms of a trilogy. We’re looking at: What is the next decade of storytelling?”

Kennedy said the creative braintrust will be mapping out a strategy, and central to that strategy are new film series from Star Wars: The Last Jedi writer/director Rian Johnson and Game of Thrones showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss. We previously learned that Johnson was creating a new trilogy of Star Wars films focusing on new characters in a new setting, and Benioff and Weiss were separately hired to create their own new series of films. But Kennedy tells EW that Benioff and Weiss are actually working together with Johnson to plan out the future of the franchise:

“As they finish Game of Thrones, they’re going to segue into Star Wars,” Kennedy said. “They’re working very closely with Rian.”

However, when it comes to the timeline, that “a long time ago” part could be altered either way—a longer time ago, or a shorter time ago—with this next phase of Star Wars filmmaking, says Kennedy:

“Yes, absolutely. I think that that’s absolutely on the horizon,” she said. “We’re looking at whether we can move massively in one direction of the other. It’s still Star Wars, and holding on to the DNA of what George Lucas created is still very important to us. I think this is a huge opportunity to step into the galaxy in a little bit different part of the timeline.”

Uh oh.  I guess star wars is going to suck now.  They are thinking ahead and planning.  Maybe even letting a single director be in charge of en entire trilogy.  These movies are doomed.  Only by blindly throwing random shit at the screen can greatness be achieved.  

13 minutes ago, Alpha1Cowboy said:

What I'm curious about is really his own reflection on his failure with Anakin....I feel he really failed Qui Gon Jinn.....and the Jedi at large.   (Begin Nerd Talk)  I feel that Qui Gon understanding of the Living Force versus the Will of the Force would have prevented Anakin from falling to Palpatine's emotional manipulation and exposed the Sith.   Both Yoda and Obi-Wan seemed to have changed their views in that timeframe to more closely match Qui Gonn Jinns.

It's pretty clear in A Phantom Menace that Obi-Wan wasn't ready to be a Jedi Master, and he certainly had no interest in raising Anakin as a padawan, someone he felt was too old already. He obviously did it just to honor Qui-Gonn's last wish and that's never a good enough reason on its own to do anything, especially something you were disinclined to do from the start. Qui-Gonn was always the more rebellious Jedi Master, Obi-Wan by comparison you could tell in The Phantom Menace due to both inexperience and watching Qui-Gonn get chewed out all the time that Obi-Wan was always a more conservative Jedi Master, when Anakin probably needed someone who didn't resist his instincts and natural inclinations all the time (Qui-Gonn would have been better about handling that). So yeah, Obi-Wan fucked up, and he knows it. I mean, he banished himself for 20 years because of it, so that's something.

11 minutes ago, number305 said:

Uh oh.  I guess star wars is going to suck now.  They are thinking ahead and planning.  Maybe even letting a single director be in charge of en entire trilogy.  These movies are doomed.  Only by blindly throwing random shit at the screen can greatness be achieved.  

I agree planning is better, but let's not forget there was no plan when the OT was made either. Vader being Luke's father, the classic line of "I love you" and "I know" and Leia being Luke's sister were all done whilst the films were being made. Lucas changed plenty throughout the OT. So it's not impossible to do Star Wars that way.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, number305 said:

Well this is the worst strawman I’ve seen in a while. 

2 hours ago, number305 said:

That is neither what I said, nor was it inferred. Planning ahead or not planning ahead simply have no bearing on whether a story is good or not. Great story telling happens both ways, and really awful storytelling happens both ways.

The thing here though is that it’s hard enough to get one story made into a movie in Hollywood that the notion of planning out in any detail the plot of a multi-movie series ahead of time was nearly non-existent for the vast majority of the history of Hollywood.