~*Colin Trevorrow's Star Wars: Episode IX - Duel of the Fates OT*~

32 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Click the picture to see the quote below it. Holy smokes, what a goober JJ is.

That's the type of director a lot of these techie guys are. That's how you get bad performances from good actors. Because the director isn't interested in character or performance. He's interested in getting his shots and cobbling something together in post. See George Lucas, Michael Bay, JJ Abrams etc...

• Thanks 1

Spoiler

Solo was a failure because it tried to makes us care about what was happening by simply reminding us of Star Wars. It was weaponized nostalgia with no real weight or purpose. Each morsel of Star Wars trivia dealt to the audience with a wink and a nod, a self aware notion that this thing must be good because it is Star Wars.

Rise of Skywalker fails in an opposite way for the same reason. It doesn’t only want to wink and nod at every moment from the other films (though it does plenty of that). Its hyper concerned about purpose and plot, and it wants to play the greatest hits. Bloodline revelations, superweapons, turning from the dark side, the Falcon saves the day! What it fails to do though, is to deliver any of the emotion that made us care for those things in the first place. It again assumes that those moments must be good because they’re Star Wars.

I just got back from the theater, but I have the feeling that the more I sit with this movie, the less I’m going to like it.

19 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

That's the type of director a lot of these techie guys are. That's how you get bad performances from good actors. Because the director isn't interested in character or performance. He's interested in getting his shots and cobbling something together in post. See George Lucas, Michael Bay, JJ Abrams etc...

I read an interview where JJ said he doesn’t shoot action scenes where there are things like large scale fights with any pre-planning, and actually often has shots of people shooting and then finds the scene in the edit bay. That’s why there is so little wides in his action sequences, it would require there to be more consistent geographical locations to the characters for continuity.

19 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I read an interview where JJ said he doesn’t shoot action scenes where there are things like large scale fights with any pre-planning, and actually often has shots of people shooting and then finds the scene in the edit bay. That’s why there is so little wides in his action sequences, it would require there to be more consistent geographical locations to the characters for continuity.

He's a "fix it in post" guy for sure. That's probably why producers love him... he probably makes all his days and rarely goes over schedule. The problem with that is the actors get short changed and the editor is driven INSANE. That "style" of directing isn't directing... that's shooting home movies.

The Emperor Only Has Groove (Film Crit Hulk essay)

I’m so tired of writing about J.J. Abrams.

It feels like from minute one of the LOSTaissance, we’ve been on our heels reacting to his unique brand of storytelling, one best embodied by his now infamous Ted Talk on the mystery box. Even then, many understood that the mystery box is 1) just a cheap, but effective method of marketing and 2) something making people curious about what will happen next (I even referenced this when I saw the talk ), but once you get past the initial allure, it ultimately leads to complete dissatisfaction. His career has been full of this kind of ultimate let down. That’s because the vagaries of the mystery box have nothing to with tried and true notions of set ups and payoffs, nor the construction of mysteries with their purposeful evolution of information, but instead simply “hide and tease” the story until it’s practically ripped out by sheer demand. And when ripped, the sad, disappointing truth of what was really in the box is laid bare. But maybe we should expect this of someone who literally told us, “the answer doesn’t matter.” 

The Emperor Only Has Groove (Film Crit Hulk essay - there may be spoilers!)

I’m so tired of writing about J.J. Abrams.

It feels like from minute one of the LOSTaissance, we’ve been on our heels reacting to his unique brand of storytelling, one best embodied by his now infamous Ted Talk on the mystery box. Even then, many understood that the mystery box is 1) just a cheap, but effective method of marketing and 2) something making people curious about what will happen next (I even referenced this when I saw the talk ), but once you get past the initial allure, it ultimately leads to complete dissatisfaction. His career has been full of this kind of ultimate let down. That’s because the vagaries of the mystery box have nothing to with tried and true notions of set ups and payoffs, nor the construction of mysteries with their purposeful evolution of information, but instead simply “hide and tease” the story until it’s practically ripped out by sheer demand. And when ripped, the sad, disappointing truth of what was really in the box is laid bare. But maybe we should expect this of someone who literally told us, “the answer doesn’t matter.” 

The movie just isn't that good. It's mildly entertaining. The prequels killed any expectation for me that we'd ever get the OT again, and when I walked out of TFA I was like: "that was a fun, quippy, Pirates of the Carribbean-style adventure movie" but never did I feel the grandeur of something truly new like the OT. It was just a movie. After TFA, I just figured we will never get OT-level movies again, and we haven't. Even TLJ, as entertaining as it is, isn't the OT and what the OT trilogy created in a legion of fans. I wanted that again - TFA showed me we were gonna get more MCU style films and that was that.

And here we are. At least the hope is we can finally get some planning and some real auteurs in for spin-offs and maybe someone will strike that OT-level quality again.

The internet is making me feel like I’m crazy. 

I liked the movie. It felt like it was moving as breakneck speed, and could have used a bit more down time so we could “savor” moments more. 

It felt like in few moments JJ was doing something just to “fix” TLJ. As a fan of TLJ I did not feel these moments were necessary. 

But I liked the movie.  As a fan of not just the movies, but also shows, games, and comics. It felt like a good pay off. I felt very satisfied. 

since seeing it this morning I've been busy as hell running around doing errands, but I've continued to think on the film and the more I think about it the more I just shake my head. This entire trilogy was one hell of a mess, and this movie in particular....wow..just have to shake my head. As I said earlier, visually it's a sight to behold, but beyond that it's a damn train wreck. 

I felt disconnected from all the characters except Rey and Kylo. Everyone else could die and I could just watch with no connection or care. They had some minor characters die that had been in all the movies, but I felt no connection to them. When Biggs died in ep4, I barely knew him, but I felt it. This space battle just happened on the screen and it was a nice light show, but I felt the characters were just sitting along for a ride.  The plot doesn’t come organically from the characters. The characters are on the screen as a necessity as the plot moves along. And talk about choppy pacing and scene transitions. I didn’t get a chance to even breath a real moment with anyone. 

Disney needs to approach this differently and plan ahead. I don’t expect the second coming, but this is pretty damn lazy. I even liked some of the scenes, but everything felt rushed. There’s so much potential and it feels wasted. 

To be clear, it wasn’t terrible. I was entertained at  a par level, but that’s it and I’ll likely never watch it again and forget about it. 

One last thing I noticed that is a more insidious response to the toxic internet uproar generated by the first two films in the sequel trilogy.

Spoiler

I don't know if they were ever seriously going to create a romance between Rey and Finn, but after the first film they definitely seemed to make pains to pair Finn up with a woman of color. Rose in The Last Jedi and then after racist backlash to HER, they said fuck it and let's pair him up with a black woman.

Am i reading too much into that?

8 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

One last thing I noticed that is a more insidious response to the toxic internet uproar generated by the first two films in the sequel trilogy.

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

honestly I think you are reading too much into it. Rose was such a boring character, IMO, and that 'romance' in TLJ if you want to call it that was pretty much nonexistent and seemed to come out of nowhere. Definitely didn't seem like a storyline worth following up on, and certainly not worth wasting screen time on. Of course given how ridiculous the story was, I suppose a Finn/Rose romance plot point would have felt right at home. :silly:

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Hide contents

I don't know if they were ever seriously going to create a romance between Rey and Finn, but after the first film they definitely seemed to make pains to pair Finn up with a woman of color. Rose in The Last Jedi and then after racist backlash to HER, they said fuck it and let's pair him up with a black woman.

In RoS, I could buy it.

In TLJ, I see Finn as Han in ANH. His motivation in TFA and when he wakes up is Rey. By the end of the movie, he's sacrificing himself to the cause. The set up for Rose and Finn was there but left open enough to interpretation in future stories. I'd be more concerned if

Spoiler

Jannah was substituted in for Rose.

14 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Racists on white supremacist websites were losing their shit over The Force Awakens and the "evil Hollywood Jew" JJ Abrams forcing integration by paring up the "Buck Black Dude with the virginal Mary Sue White Girl". There were memes all over the place and I'm sure Disney saw them. Then in The Last Jedi, They paired Finn with a Woman of color, Rose. Fans disliked Rose for whatever reason... you say it was because she was boring, but I don't think being called boring is what chased her off of Twitter. Lastly in ROS, not only do they leave Finn and Rey's relationship in Limbo (they set it up for Finn to tell her how he obviously feels about her but never follow it up for whatever reason) They also make pains to pair Finn up with a very strong and attractive Black woman who immediately seems drawn to him as well, and they pair Rey up with bad boy Kylo Ren... I'm open to being wrong about this, but this move seemed to want to play it SO safe in order to save the franchise that I wouldn't be surprised if there was a mandate that said, "Be as inoffensive and uncontroversial as possible to as many groups as possible"  and that is something that I DON'T think came from JJ Abrams. 

22 minutes ago, 69los said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Essentially she was.

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

right there is your problem 

Spoiler

stay off of white supremacist websites :p And Rose WAS boring as shit. She had the personality of a tree stump. It's not the actress's fault. The character was written boring. 

• Haha 1