~*Colin Trevorrow's Star Wars: Episode IX - Duel of the Fates OT*~

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

This movie was written and made with a checklist that JJ made to himself... for example

Hide contents

When Leah died he made SURE we got an extended reaction shot from Chewie... you know, the one he DIDN'T GET in TFA. It was a great moment from Chewie and felt right, but it did make me think that it was in response to him not getting the Chewie shot in TFA

I'm not gonna rag on the movie too much more because I did like a lot of stuff too, mostly the acting and character interactions.

Hide contents

Rel and Kylo's Saber battle on the death star wreckage was pretty cool too mostly because of the performances by the actors. JJ's directing was meh.

Spoiler

Yes, the Chewie moment was actually the only point in the movie where I felt emotional. But it was a checklist item for sure.

The saber battle on the DSII was bad for me because the choreographer was overall poor (EXCEPT for the jumping, which was nice), and there was almost no music for the entire fight. I get that it was likely a choice...but it was a bad one, since there was no weight or tension to begin with.

Fuck, I'm just so mad and disappointed how this movie shat all over the character development in TLJ. In the last Jedi, each of the main three had to face their biggest flaw/trait and realize they were wrong:

• Rey had to face the fact that she was no one, and had to make her own place in the story, even though she craved belonging.
  • Finn had to face the fact that you can't run from the bad guys, but you also can't take the easy way out and sacrifice yourself, you need to stay alive to save the things that matter.
  • Poe had to face the fact that  you can't blast your way out of every situation, that there is a time for retreat to live another day, and to set an example for others.
  • Ben had to face the fact that you can't be something you are not, no matter how hard you want it to be true, just because you are born into it.
  • Luke had to face the fact that you can't throw away everything just because some of it was bad, and that it's okay to fail as long as you keep trying.

Fuck all of the "fans" who said that TLJ 'did nothing to move the plot forward' or 'left no where for the story to go.' It moved the characters forward in amazing ways and set up amazing arcs for conclusion by a competent writer. Unfortunately TROS got Batman v Superman, Into Darkness, and Monster Trucks writers to finish 42 years of work.

Again, let's go through the list of shitty fan takes on TLJ and RoS's response to them:

Spoiler

Rose sucks and I have sent death threats to Kelly Marie Tran: We apologize she's essentially not in the movie. Also she and Finn will barely acknowledge one another

I thought Luke would flip out and savagely dunk on the First Order troops, I thought Jedi were badasses: Sorry about that Rey one shot a TIE

Who's Snoke: Clone / puppet

Why doesn't the resistance just Holdo everything all the time: It's hard

Why would anyone take orders from Hux, he got prank called in front of everyone: Don't worry we'll kill him and also despite him being the one giving the speech to the whole First Order on Starkiller base he had a boss this whole time

Who's Rey: Palpatine's granddaughter

Her parents were really nobody? From a certain point of view get it it's like that other movie that you like

So just anyone can be dank with the Force that's awfully convenient: Agreed, we're back to dynastic succession and genetics, but we won't mention midichlorians because we know you all hate that

Why did you cuck Poe: Good point he's back to just wanting to blow shit up despite what he learned in TLJ. In fact he will need to learn that exact lesson again here. Also he asked for consent to kiss a woman please do not hate us for this

So Leia can just use Force pull on herself that's awfully convenient: Great point turns out she had Jedi training

Winning by saving what we love is a bullshit line and concept: Agreed, the resistance will win by literally destroying what they hate, sorry about that. As we have established, we apologize for Rose and everything about her. Look at how much stuff the good guys blew up in this movie pew pew pew

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

So question about The First Order:

Hide contents

They're still around, right??? Most of what blew up was the Sith fleet and the one FO ship that was going to guide them out. Did I miss something?

Spoiler

There was a throwaway line near the end about how the galaxy is uprising and overthrowing them. Then in the shots of Bespin and Endor it showed FO SSDs crashing...somehow.

6 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Shit you're right I forgot about that. Huh.

Spoiler

But it didn't even make sense because it just showed the ships crashing without any other ships around. Like, first off, there wasn't even a FO SSD above Endor when Rey was just there. So who was taking it down? Did the Ewoks launch logs into space?

I'm kind of surprised they didn't include a line like "that beacon tower is now controlling every single ship in the galaxy! Take it out and the First/Final Order crumbles!" That would have been equally as dumb as what they used the tower for, but it would have explained why ships are crashing.

56 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Ways the ending scene of the movie would have been better:

Reveal hidden contents

The ending was so fucking bad. You know JJ was patting himself on the back for that one and it’s just so terrible. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Hide contents

I don't mind him being redeemed in the sense that he can die at peace. But Vader wasn't immediately kissed by someone. His saving Luke was the first step, but it wasn't final. Actually, my gf made a joke that it seems the force is like space catholicism - as long as you accept space jesus into your heart in your final moment, you are saved. lol.

Spoiler

Its not like they weren't OBVIOUSLY attracted to each other in part 8, so the kiss is one of the things I don't have a problem with in this movie. 

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Fuck, I'm just so mad and disappointed how this movie shat all over the character development in TLJ. In the last Jedi, each of the main three had to face their biggest flaw/trait and realize they were wrong:

• Rey had to face the fact that she was no one, and had to make her own place in the story, even though she craved belonging.
  • Finn had to face the fact that you can't run from the bad guys, but you also can't take the easy way out and sacrifice yourself, you need to stay alive to save the things that matter.
  • Poe had to face the fact that  you can't blast your way out of every situation, that there is a time for retreat to live another day, and to set an example for others.
  • Ben had to face the fact that you can't be something you are not, no matter how hard you want it to be true, just because you are born into it.
  • Luke had to face the fact that you can't throw away everything just because some of it was bad, and that it's okay to fail as long as you keep trying.

Fuck all of the "fans" who said that TLJ 'did nothing to move the plot forward' or 'left no where for the story to go.' It moved the characters forward in amazing ways and set up amazing arcs for conclusion by a competent writer. Unfortunately TROS got Batman v Superman, Into Darkness, and Monster Trucks writers to finish 42 years of work.

Spoiler

I mean, im sure it was Disney who wanted to make TLJ almost irrelevant, but the movie really isn't bad. It isn't great either, but it really didn't shit on TLJ, it just moved past it. I have no problem with Rey being a palpatine (In the EU he DID have a wife and daughter, so it isn't crazy to be that the Emperor has a grandchild, even if it's Canon), and I think the characters all connecting to the Skywalker history was fine for me. But I still agree that there are glaring holes and missing connective tissue in the plot. 

Mark spoilers plz thx - GB

JJ can't commit to any heavy blows in this movie either. He reverses all the heavy hits two minutes after they're shown.

Spoiler

Chewbacca is dead. Wait no he's not. How powerful would that moment have been if he actually stayed dead? Rey's scream after she thinks she has killed him... I bought that. It hit me. C-3P0 says goodbye to his friends. But not really because R2 has a backup of his memory (even after they said specifically that he doesn't).

With regard to the end...

Spoiler

Rey Skywalker was... fine. So much fantasy or fiction in general is about the family a character chooses as opposed to the one they're born into. So that ground is well trod. Was is a bit corny, sure, yes. And will it let us move past the Skywalkers literally, I suppose not. But it's fine.

Would it have been more powerful to have her say just Rey, or Rey from nowhere, yes. But whatever, this is the smallest of this movie's many sins.

29 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Rey Skywalker was... fine. So much fantasy or fiction in general is about the family a character chooses as opposed to the one they're born into. So that ground is well trod. Was is a bit corny, sure, yes. And will it let us move past the Skywalkers literally, I suppose not. But it's fine.

Would it have been more powerful to have her say just Rey, or Rey from nowhere, yes. But whatever, this is the smallest of this movie's many sins.

Spoiler

I also feel that Rey saying "Skywalker" was fair. Luke and Leia were more parents to her than anybody else. At least from what we see onscreen in this trilogy.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

Rey has more connection on screen with Leia, but doesn’t take her name! Shoulda been Rey Organa ;) 

54 minutes ago, 2user1cup said:

It's amusing that you think they have real control. 

Given that TLJ feels like an RJ movie and TFA/ROS feel like JJ movies, I’d say they have a lot of control on set.

54 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

JJ can't commit to any heavy blows in this movie either. He reverses all the heavy hits two minutes after they're shown.

Hide contents

Chewbacca is dead. Wait no he's not. How powerful would that moment have been if he actually stayed dead? Rey's scream after she thinks she has killed him... I bought that. It hit me. C-3P0 says goodbye to his friends. But not really because R2 has a backup of his memory (even after they said specifically that he doesn't).

So much this. 

2 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Not dumb. I am also wondering this. I am also wondering

Hide contents

what she did to make Ben turn? Like, he was in the middle of that fight and then was just like "Wait... I'm good now, actually." after a brief cut to Leia.

Spoiler

I don’t think anything she did made Ben turn good. It was Rey healing him and saying “I do want to take your hand...Ben’s hand.”