~*Colin Trevorrow's Star Wars: Episode IX - Duel of the Fates OT*~

18 minutes ago, 69los said:

I wasn't a fan of Rose or Canto Bight but what happened to her character is unforgivable.

People actually celebrating that she was cut from the movie is what makes me upset. The answer to not being happy with her role is to simply write her a better role, not to cut her. This of course would involve JJ creating a character arc for her...which we know he is incapable of doing. In JJ's mind characters are one-dimensional, comprising no more than two traits, at least one of which must be either Yelling or Running.

The ONLY thing that would make it “okay” is Tran wanting a reduced role to not have to deal with fan nonsense. Okay in quotes because that’s obviously not okay generally, but I wouldn’t blame her for wanting that. 

If JJ just wrote her that way, FUCK that cowardly bullshit. 

23 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

So what's next for Star Wars in terms of movies? Will there be more "Episodes?" X, XI, etc? The end to this movie made things seem final but also kind of cleaned the slate so that things could theoretically start fresh. But that could also mean that it's just done with the Episodes and will go in other directions. As a huge fan I'd prefer both episodes with these characters going forward and other adventures instead of just the latter.

I hope Rian Johnson gets to do his trilogy. I know Kathleen Kennedy said they were moving away from doing trilogies just to do them, but if he has a story he wants to tell that can be done in a trilogy, I'd love it.

Either that, or maybe he has a story he can tell in two films or four or whatever. I just hope they let him do his thing.

23 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

So what's next for Star Wars in terms of movies? Will there be more "Episodes?" X, XI, etc? The end to this movie made things seem final but also kind of cleaned the slate so that things could theoretically start fresh. But that could also mean that it's just done with the Episodes and will go in other directions. As a huge fan I'd prefer both episodes with these characters going forward and other adventures instead of just the latter.

It all depends on what lessons Lucasfilm and Disney take from this. The chatter (and info from interviews) over the last few months is that they will be doing the following:

• Moving away from trilogies
  • NOT abandoning the new characters from the ST

However, I hope the second point changes. There were rumours that Rian Johnson was not doing his movie(s), but he fairly recently confirmed that he is still in talks with Disney, but is waiting for the go-ahead in terms of a timeline, or what they want. 

On 12/23/2019 at 11:19 AM, SaysWho? said:

:clap:

On 12/23/2019 at 11:37 AM, SaysWho? said:

:( 

:angry:

On 12/23/2019 at 11:13 AM, SaysWho? said:

Nah, even Han Solo made fun of it in Episode 7 ("So it's bigger."). But the fact that

he went back to that well AGAIN, after TFA was kind of a "soft reboot" that had the next-gen Death Star after the first two, but this time every Star Destroyer could do the same thing (something that I don't think was really used for dramatic purposes in the climax?), versus the phenomenal climax of The Last Jedi... shit, give Rian Johnson the reigns. I didn't mind Starkiller Base being another Death Star because it was the familiar part, I felt, contrasted to the Finn-Rey-Kylo fight. There really wasn't a reason to do it again

I didn't mind the whole, "Mini-Death Star canons" on a Star Destroyer thing especially seeing as how they came from Palpatine and the Sith planet. One, what more effective way could they control the galaxy if every Star Destroyer was outfitted with planet killing tech (think of it like going from big nuclear bombs to nuclear missiles that could be launched from battle ships and mobile subs) It's the empire's most fearsome weapon and putting it on a smaller more mobile delivery system make sense considering they kept losing the big planet sized versions.

Two, Rian Johnson set THIS up too because in The Last Jedi, that canon The First Order was using at the end to break into the Resistance's hideout was a less powerful version of the canon's seen on the Star Destroyers in THIS movie. Finn tells them that it's "miniaturized Death Star tech." Of COURSE the First Order would want to improve on their most powerful and terrifying weapon. That didn't bother me.

Two nitpicky questions:

1- Hyperspace skipping. What is it exactly? Is he just hitting lightspeed without all the proper calculations? How are the TIEs able to follow him through each jump? It looked cool, but I couldn't make sense of how this is supposed to be working given what we know about light speed in Star Wars.

2- So the Emperor's plan was to get Rey to kill him and basically take over her body (it was slightly unclear to me if it was like an Avatar thing where he'd be in there a little bit as a past life, or if it would literally be him in control), but either way I'm pretty sure the basic idea was her killing him makes her a Sith. She then kills him and nothing happens. I can come up with a lot of potential reasons she didn't immediately turn, but did anyone feel like the movie was giving us a direct answer? I feel like we're just mean to forget that part of his plan, but it's not clear why it didn't work.

23 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Two nitpicky questions:

1- Hyperspace skipping. What is it exactly? Is he just hitting lightspeed without all the proper calculations? How are the TIEs able to follow him through each jump? It looked cool, but I couldn't make sense of how this is supposed to be working given what we know about light speed in Star Wars.

2- So the Emperor's plan was to get Rey to kill him and basically take over her body (it was slightly unclear to me if it was like an Avatar thing where he'd be in there a little bit as a past life, or if it would literally be him in control), but either way I'm pretty sure the basic idea was her killing him makes her a Sith. She then kills him and nothing happens. I can come up with a lot of potential reasons she didn't immediately turn, but did anyone feel like the movie was giving us a direct answer? I feel like we're just mean to forget that part of his plan, but it's not clear why it didn't work.

I guess because she didn't kill him in anger?

It's confusing to me as well because when he's shooting lightning at the ships, he could be freaking out Rey and forcing her to kill him and take his place, basically.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

The ONLY thing that would make it “okay” is Tran wanting a reduced role to not have to deal with fan nonsense. Okay in quotes because that’s obviously not okay generally, but I wouldn’t blame her for wanting that. 

If JJ just wrote her that way, FUCK that cowardly bullshit. 

No actor tells a director or filmmaker "Hey, give me LESS lines and screentime! That would make my life SO much easier." That just has never happened.

Two nitpicky questions:

1. My guess is just making short lightspeed jumps location to location. This is the first time it has every been introduced in Star Wars though. I read somewhere that Tie Fighters are equipped with the same hypersace tracking tech as the First Order capital ship in TLJ.

2. Definitely no direct answer. I think the fact that Emperor completely disintegrates from his own lightning might be part of it. He couldn't transfer his essence into her body because of that.

Two nitpicky questions:

Yeah, I think Hyperspace skipping is jumping in and out of hyperspace quickly. It may involve not plotting hyperspace coordinates, so part of the danger is they could come out anywhere. 

New Tie Fighters with hyperspace engines. The Empire was working on prototypes. It only makes sense they could make it into normal production. They may not be 100% implemented in the fleet due to higher cost per ship.

I think Rey has to kill Palpatine in a way that would draw her to the dark side. Kill him for power. Kill him out of anger or hatred. But once Palp could heal himself he was not longer concerned with needing a successor or vessel.

Two nitpicky questions:

It really bugged me that a major plot point in the last movie was "how are they following us through lightspeed" and here it just happens multiple times in a minute and nobody brings it up. 

23 hours ago, Pikachu said:

1. My guess is just making short lightspeed jumps location to location. This is the first time it has every been introduced in Star Wars though. I read somewhere that Tie Fighters are equipped with the same hypersace tracking tech as the First Order capital ship in TLJ.

2. Definitely no direct answer. I think the fact that Emperor completely disintegrates from his own lightning might be part of it. He couldn't transfer his essence into her body because of that.

23 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Yeah, I think Hyperspace skipping is jumping in and out of hyperspace quickly. It may involve not plotting hyperspace coordinates, so part of the danger is they could come out anywhere. 

New Tie Fighters with hyperspace engines. The Empire was working on prototypes. It only makes sense they could make it into normal production. They may not be 100% implemented in the fleet due to higher cost per ship.

I thought the Hyperspace tracking they used in TLJ required an active tracker, it wasn't just a "we can track anyone through hyperspace now" or the Falcon wouldn't have been able to get away at the end. Also, the Falcon does plenty of jumping later in the film where they're obviously not being tracked.

While not stated, it felt to me like there was something about skipping that allowed the TIEs to follow, like their hyperspace tunnel was still open or something, but it was all so vague and fast that may or may not be the case.

It's never particularly useful to get too into the weeds on "how does this Sci-Fi fantasy ship work," so I guess I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something that the film actually made clear. 

Two nitpicky questions:

Hyperspace skipping was Poe doing very short, damn near random hyperspace jumps in order to throw off the tie fighters which for some reason in this movie, were not only able to make hyper space jumps themselves (I always thought they were short range fighters) and were able to track the Falcon through hyperspace. I didn't mind this as a concept as I thought it was a cool idea and it fits Poe's character to do something crazy like that... he's a genius pilot after all, probably the best we've seen in the series, but the execution wasn't as good as it could have been because JJ Abrams.

As far as The Emperor... I think that whenever a Sith Apprentice strikes down their Master in anger, they fully succumb to The Dark Side and all of those Sith Lords over the millenium become part of that person's personality, essentially enabling the continuation of The Sith lineage. That person still exists, but also is a somewhat of a Hive mind with the accumulated power and experience of the generations of Sith Lords that came before them. I suspect that Palp had a way of essentially possessing Rey, possibly because she was a blood relation and this would ensure his continued existence. Again, not a bad concept or idea. Just not fully realized or executed because JJ.

One thing nobody is talking about though

The concept of a Force Dyad and that Rey and Kylo are The Force's latest attempts to achieve balance. When Kylo started his Force training at ten years old, Rey was born and when Kylo went full Dark Side, Rey was awakened and started to shift to the light. I LOVE this concept and hope future movies explore it more fully. The Emperor recognizes it and tries to take their power for himself and nearly succeeds. Now that Rey is arguably the most powerful Force user to right now and is solidly in the light, it makes sense that to balance her out, The Force would create a Dark side user that is just as powerful. This person would NOT have to be a Sith... The Jedi and Sith are religions. They are not the end all be all of The Force and it would be awesome if future Star Wars movies made this more clear.

23 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The concept of a Force Dyad and that Rey and Kylo are The Force's latest attempts to achieve balance. When Kylo started his Force training at ten years old, Rey was born and when Kylo went full Dark Side, Rey was awakened and started to shift to the light. I LOVE this concept and hope future movies explore it more fully. The Emperor recognizes it and tries to take their power for himself and nearly succeeds. Now that Rey is arguably the most powerful Force user to right now and is solidly in the light, it makes sense that to balance her out, The Force would create a Dark side user that is just as powerful. This person would NOT have to be a Sith... The Jedi and Sith are religions. They are not the end all be all of The Force and it would be awesome if future Star Wars movies made this more clear.

I am so fucking irate that this wasn't explored more. 8 set it up SO WELL! 

GOD JJ is a fucking simpleton.

I think it's an interesting concept, but I didn't enjoy the execution in this movie. I think the important thing emotionally is that they are linked by the force. The idea that the force is balancing itself out through them is fine, but the sequence amounted to a bit of exposition and little else. We already knew they were connected, putting a special name on it didn't raise the importance of that connection for me.

Still, what stuck out to me was that this was somehow news to the Emperor. He's been remotely managing the galaxy for decades, his puppet Snoke bridged Rey and Kylo. The strength of their connection shouldn't be a surprise to him, and it definitely wasn't to us. It felt like a pretty weak excuse for Palp to suddenly have a plan B that didn't require Rey to kill him.

Hyperspace skipping was Poe doing very short, damn near random hyperspace jumps in order to throw off the tie fighters which for some reason in this movie, were not only able to make hyper space jumps themselves (I always thought they were short range fighters) and were able to track the Falcon through hyperspace. I didn't mind this as a concept as I thought it was a cool idea and it fits Poe's character to do something crazy like that... he's a genius pilot after all, probably the best we've seen in the series, but the execution wasn't as good as it could have been because JJ Abrams.

As far as The Emperor... I think that whenever a Sith Apprentice strikes down their Master in anger, they fully succumb to The Dark Side and all of those Sith Lords over the millenium become part of that person's personality, essentially enabling the continuation of The Sith lineage. That person still exists, but also is a somewhat of a Hive mind with the accumulated power and experience of the generations of Sith Lords that came before them. I suspect that Palp had a way of essentially possessing Rey, possibly because she was a blood relation and this would ensure his continued existence. Again, not a bad concept or idea. Just not fully realized or executed because JJ.

That is assuming Rey is full to the light. She may be balanced, in the middle. Where Luke was when he died, where Yoda was when he died. If Rey is balanced then there is nothing for the Force to correct with the Dark Side.