~*Colin Trevorrow's Star Wars: Episode IX - Duel of the Fates OT*~

3 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Not dumb. I am also wondering this. I am also wondering

Hide contents

what she did to make Ben turn? Like, he was in the middle of that fight and then was just like "Wait... I'm good now, actually." after a brief cut to Leia.

Spoiler

Did...she possess him? :shrug:

6 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Not dumb. I am also wondering this. I am also wondering

Reveal hidden contents

what she did to make Ben turn? Like, he was in the middle of that fight and then was just like "Wait... I'm good now, actually." after a brief cut to Leia.

My read on that was basically

Spoiler

Oh shit my mom still loves me after all this nonsense, that's distracting. Fuck I got stabbed I'm going to die before I ever touched a boob. Shit I'm getting healed and I could have had a girlfriend this whole time? Dad memories activate I need to role play my emotional healing because my therapist said so. Ah fuck I fell down a hole, let me heal you Rey. My god I'm such a virgin that my lips touching a girl's lips mean I Force cum my way to being a ghost, goodbye cruel world...

Kidding aside...

Spoiler

The moment with Rey and Ben at the end with Driver smiling at Rey... that's good acting from both of them. Yes I will forgive you for a genocide because I want to sail on the good ship Reylo oh fuck he's dead but if ghost Luke can hold a lightsaber maybe ghost Ben can fuck.

Maybe not kidding aside in hindsight.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

He was slowly over powering her at the end there, I took the slowness as dramatic effect to highlight how much more powerful he was than her in that moment. 

5 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Man reading this thread is reminding me that this movie was . . . not good. Just good enough, maybe. It felt like a YA adaptation. Abrams' editing was atrocious in this. 

The editing is the worst part of the craft on display in the film. Really poor.

Remember when

Spoiler

Palpatine had to explain the concept of Force slurp out loud as he was doing it? And that he was surprised that Kylo and Rey were linked via the Force? Even though Snoke did the linking? And it was Palpatine that made Snoke? So he shouldn't have been surprised at all, since he did that? Great writing, you hacks.

• Haha 3

I am surprised that some of you had a lot of groaning when my audience had none except for that one guy at the end. My audience in particular loved and squealed out in girlish delight when 

Spoiler

Rey and Kylo kissed, but that might just be because over half of the audiance was chicks. There were loads of chicks at my viewing. I was very surprised. 

There were also people that clapped when

Spoiler

Force Ghost Luke caught the Lightsaber and said that one liner in response to TLJ. 

I will say that while I think overall this movie was trying to undo TLJ, it did build on it in some cool ways too.

Spoiler

Force Time in this movie was so good. TLJ established that physical things can be moved this way too. The necklace was a good reminder with the lightsaber being a great payoff.

Luke learned from his mistakes; a continuation on the theme of that movie.

41 minutes ago, Anzo said:
  Hide contents

“What about a Holdo maneuver?”

”that was a 1 in a million shot, won’t work”

Finale: Shot of a Final Order destroyer being taken down by the Holdo maneuver over Endor.

Spoiler

I don't think that was the Holdo maneuver - I honestly believe that all of the Sith Fleet destroyers were taken down because they no longer being "powered" the Emperor's dark side Sith power.

Just now, SFLUFAN said:
  Hide contents

I don't think that was the Holdo maneuver - I honestly believe that all of the Sith Fleet destroyers were taken down because they no longer being "powered" the Emperor's dark side Sith power.

Spoiler

Pretty sure most of the ships outside the Unknown Regions were NOT the Sith fleet. It was the First Order fleet. Couldn't tell you why they blew up.

4 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I will say that while I think overall this movie was trying to undo TLJ, it did build on it in some cool ways too.

Hide contents

Force Time in this movie was so good. TLJ established that physical things can be moved this way too. The necklace was a good reminder with the lightsaber being a great payoff.

Luke learned from his mistakes; a continuation on the theme of that movie.

I'm really glad to hear this. 

Seeing all the negative reacts is one thing. But seeing a positive development that built on the story/character trajectory is really good. At least it all won't be thrown away. 

What became really clear in this film:

Spoiler

The First Order's military REALLY didn't seem to be that large at all, certainly not compared to the Galactic Empire.  The impression I now have is that the First Order was more of a well-funded terrorist organization rather than an actual military state.

5 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

Maybe so but it sure looked like this 

spacer.png

but from the viewpoint of the planets surface. 

Spoiler

There were a couple different shots of destroyers falling, one or two were clearly what you are describing. I’m just saying that the one the Ewoks were looking at looked like the above. 

54 minutes ago, 2user1cup said:

That doesn't mean there isn't a group above them dictating the content 

Content isn’t direction, and direction is explicitly what Skillz was speaking to. Nobody was telling JJ to have characters run up to the camera and yell their lines, over, and over, and over, like in all his movies :p 

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Content isn’t direction, and direction is explicitly what Skillz was speaking to. Nobody was telling JJ to have characters run up to the camera and yell their lines, over, and over, and over, like in all his movies :p 

Exactly right. They're not micro-managing these movies to that degree. There would be absolutely nor point in hiring and paying these directors so much if they were. That's not how the industry works.

42 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The editing is the worst part of the craft on display in the film. Really poor.

Agreed. It was really bad. After seeing TFA and how tight the film was despite its go-go-go pacing, I at least expected lots of money shots and good editing, but no (there didn't appear to be any of the cinematography growth Abrams showed from TFA in this for the most part). 

32 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Remember when

Hide contents

Palpatine had to explain the concept of Force slurp out loud as he was doing it? And that he was surprised that Kylo and Rey were linked via the Force? Even though Snoke did the linking? And it was Palpatine that made Snoke? So he shouldn't have been surprised at all, since he did that? Great writing, you hacks.

I'm with you, but I think the idea was:

That Palpatine didn't expect the connection he was having them make become a "force bond" (as that's unique) as opposed to something that simply fucked with both of them to lure one to at least come completely to the dark side. They were "force bonding" on their own in TROS compared to TLJ, which was Snoke. Lame explanation at best, I know.

22 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I am surprised that some of you had a lot of groaning when my audience had none except for that one guy at the end. My audience in particular loved and squealed out in girlish delight when 

Hide contents

Rey and Kylo kissed, but that might just be because over half of the audiance was chicks. There were loads of chicks at my viewing. I was very surprised. 

There were also people that clapped when

Hide contents

Force Ghost Luke caught the Lightsaber and said that one liner in response to TLJ. 

Sure, there were good moments in the film, no doubt, but good individual fan-service-y moments don't make a good movie. They make a good movie better, but when the basics of your film are falling apart as we zoom from one set piece to another with hardly a breath, with chemistry and fun dialogue replacing investment into character and emotional building, then it doesn't matter. :)

The editing was REALLY bad especially in the beginning of the movie. No pacing and just some really awkward cuts. There was one sequence in particular that jumped out to me

Spoiler

After Kylo heals Rey and collapses, he starts to fade away RIGHT as the camera cuts back to her reaction. You see the beginning of him fading for like a couple of frames before it cuts to her, then it cuts back to him and we see him fade away. So sloppy.

My guess is they were sprinting to the finish and don't be surprised to see that instance fixed by the time the movie comes out on DVD and streaming. Remember I said it. That's just really bad craft. 

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

Also does anyone else get the sense that

Hide contents

Finn is at the very least Force sensitive? It would make sense to be honest... he seems pretty comfortable with a light saber and could sense Rey like Leah could sense Luke in the OT.

They practically slapped us in the face with it :p