~*Colin Trevorrow's Star Wars: Episode IX - Duel of the Fates OT*~

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The editing was REALLY bad especially in the beginning of the movie. No pacing and just some really awkward cuts. There was one sequence in particular that jumped out to me

Hide contents

After Kylo heals Rey and collapses, he starts to fade away RIGHT as the camera cuts back to her reaction. You see the beginning of him fading for like a couple of frames before it cuts to her, then it cuts back to him and we see him fade away. So sloppy.

My guess is they were sprinting to the finish and don't be surprised to see that instance fixed by the time the movie comes out on DVD and streaming. Remember I said it. That's just really bad craft. 

This is why I tagged you the other day about your thoughts on the editing! That’s a good catch on your part. Pretty much every aspect of the film fees like it needed another pass or two to be much better. It also tells me a full three year gap would likely have done TLJ and ROS some favors.

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Also does anyone else get the sense that

Hide contents

Finn is at the very least Force sensitive? It would make sense to be honest... he seems pretty comfortable with a light saber and could sense Rey like Leah could sense Luke in the OT.

Spoiler

He was either that, horny for Rey, or a little or both regarding his secret

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Also does anyone else get the sense that

Reveal hidden contents

Yes. Further proof he should have been the MC

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

This is why I tagged you the other day about your thoughts on the editing! That’s a good catch on your part. Pretty much every aspect of the film fees like it needed another pass or two to be much better. It also tells me a full three year gap would likely have done TLJ and ROS some favors.

Reveal hidden contents

I'm REALLY sensitive to shit like that because I have to be. Like it HONESTLY seemed like a mistake and I'm sure somebody caught it and were told to just let it go because most audience members wouldn't notice or care. That shit happens all the time.

1 minute ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Another thing I liked about this movie:

3P0 was really close to being at his best in this movie. And Babu Frick. I loved them.

3P0 hasn't been this entertaining since the O.T. and Babu Frick legit gives Baby Yoda a run for his money :p

5 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Yes. Further proof he should have been the MC

I don't know if I'd go THAT far. I LIKE Rey... always have. I like ALL of the S.T. characters and

Spoiler

I think all of them completed their arcs except for Poe maybe. It seems like they really tried to retcon him into being Han Solo part 2 in this one complete with a shady past.

I don't think that was a necessary element of his character to be honest.

THIS PISSES ME OFF (potential spoilers in link... click with caution)

Spoiler

The knives have been out for Rian Johnson again as Star Wars fans react to the release of Disney-owned Fox’s The Rise of Skywalker by revisiting the debate over the space saga’s preceding installment, Johnson’s polarizing The Last Jedi from 2017. Today, Johnson defended himself and his version of the franchise’s central protagonist, Luke Skywalker. When a fan moaned that Johnson  “completely destroys the character” of Luke in his film and “almost derailed the franchise” in the process, the director of Knives Out, Looper and Brick replied with a public explanation that suggested the greater danger to the hero is portrayals that reduce him to an action figure on screen.“I understand that point of view but I completely disagree with it,” Johnson wrote in a tweet that went out to his 976,000 followers on the social media platform. “In fact I think it disrespects the character of Luke by treating him not as a true mythic hero overcoming recurring wounds & flaws, but as a video game character who has achieved a binary, permanent power-up.”

This part in particular really gets me

Spoiler

Johnson’s film won over many critics by veering away from the franchise’s long-familiar rhythms and narrative choices but, no surprise, that flew in the face of traditions that may Star Wars fans embrace as something that almost rises to the level of pop-culture religion. If Johnson’s film was framed as heretical filmmaking, the just-release J.J. Abrams sequel, The Rise of Skywalker, is a course-correcting return to the familiar tonalities that jettisons some key story aspects along the way. And (again, no surprise) fans have been embracing the new film while many critics have cited its checklist approach to fan service as an artistic setback for the Jedi mythology

• Guillotine 1

33 minutes ago, johnny said:

My audience was pretty mild to the fan service. Some cheers but you could tell it wasnt that many people. 

You know what I overheard as I was walking out of the theater? "Maybe they'll give the next trilogy to Jon Favreau." :lol: My audience did NOT seem pleased. I'm in NY so... take that into account.

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

You know what I overheard as I was walking out of the theater? "Maybe they'll give the next trilogy to Jon Favreau." :lol: My audience did NOT seem pleased. I'm in NY so... take that into account.

i was one of the first people out of the theatre (i think people are conditioned to stay through the credits now lol) so i only heard one person say "eh, i  liked it... but this movie was like 2 in 1"

1 hour ago, SFLUFAN said:

Someone PLEASE explain to me...

Hide contents

HOW THE HELL IS THERE ANY WRECKAGE LEFT FROM THIS?!?!?

Disney will release The Super Special Edition of ROTJ with a few edits:

Spoiler
  • In the throne room scenes, you will see one of his purple-dress attendants carrying around a baby, and later putting it in a crib in the background
  • When the DSII explodes, you will see a tiny palpatine flying away with lightning shooting everywhere

11 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

To be fair it does slow down a little TOO much if you ask me. This movie has it's own Canto Blight sequence in my opinion.

I don't think you're talking about the same thing. When most people are talking about it not slowing down, I think they mean the yelling, running, and shooting (not the overall plot movement...of which there was very little in the movie anyway).

I would be curious if you took the three ST movies and studied them, what the longest time between someone either:

• Running
  • Yelling
  • Shooting/being shot at

Would be for each movie. TFA and especially the TROS have basically no moments where people just sit around and be themselves. TLJ had large spans of very little action, which was really nice (like ESB). Honestly, out of the 9 movies we effectively got 2 that were character dramas, and I think those 2 are in the top 3.

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

There were also people that clapped when

Reveal hidden contents

I see people online saying that this was a shot at TLJ as well...but that's wrong:

Spoiler

Luke's arc in TLJ was that he started out thinking that the Jedi (and everything they do) didn't matter. But by the end he has come around and believes in them once again, even if a little differently (that they can be used as an idea of hope and inspiration, even if their ways change to learn from their failures). By the end of TLJ he would have caught the saber as well. That was one of the few things that JJ actually continued from TLJ (although Luke didn't even really say anything important anyway, he was kind of wasted in TROS).

1 hour ago, SFLUFAN said:
  Hide contents

I don't think that was the Holdo maneuver - I honestly believe that all of the Sith Fleet destroyers were taken down because they no longer being "powered" the Emperor's dark side Sith power.

Spoiler

The ships were quite clearly FO destroyers, though I agree that it didn't look like a Holdo maneauver, it looked to me like it was entering the atmosphere. But there is still no explanation as to how the ships were destroyed since there are clearly no other ships fighting them!

2 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

But there really was nothing visually that made me stop and say "WOW!" like several scenes in TLJ.

I really liked the intro with the lightning and palps, but the trailers showed most of the impressive stuff off so there wasn't much new stuff. 

15 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I see people online saying that this was a shot at TLJ as well...but that's wrong:

Hide contents

Luke's arc in TLJ was that he started out thinking that the Jedi (and everything they do) didn't matter. But by the end he has come around and believes in them once again, even if a little differently (that they can be used as an idea of hope and inspiration, even if their ways change to learn from their failures). By the end of TLJ he would have caught the saber as well. That was one of the few things that JJ actually continued from TLJ (although Luke didn't even really say anything important anyway, he was kind of wasted in TROS).

Reveal hidden contents

The ships were quite clearly FO destroyers, though I agree that it didn't look like a Holdo maneauver, it looked to me like it was entering the atmosphere. But there is still no explanation as to how the ships were destroyed since there are clearly no other ships fighting them!

Agreed about the Luke comments. I said something similar in this or the other thread. Two many threads!

7 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

From a visual standpoint, it was a very "competent" film - however, I expect that from a film with a $200+ million budget.

But there really was nothing visually that made me stop and say "WOW!" like several scenes in TLJ.

I was literally texting this to a buddy of mine. JJ Abrams is NOT the most... "cinematic" director out there.

5 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I was literally texting this to a buddy of mine. JJ Abrams is NOT the most... "cinematic" director out there.

Like most directors, he has a few “signature” shots he works in to all his films, but the real masters know how to use them in ways that serve that particular story.

Spike’s signature shot for example is used expertly to convey very different things depending on the film in which it is used.

4 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

JJ can't commit to any heavy blows in this movie either. He reverses all the heavy hits two minutes after they're shown.

Hide contents

Chewbacca is dead. Wait no he's not. How powerful would that moment have been if he actually stayed dead? Rey's scream after she thinks she has killed him... I bought that. It hit me. C-3P0 says goodbye to his friends. But not really because R2 has a backup of his memory (even after they said specifically that he doesn't).

Spoiler

That’s simply not correct. They said the backups were not reliable. Perhaps that’s why R2 has to go back to the events at the end of TFA to get a backup that took. 

It could also be another not-so-subliminal FU to Johnson by restoring 3PO’s memory minus any of the events from TLJ. :lol:

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Disney will release The Super Special Edition of ROTJ with a few edits:

Reveal hidden contents

I don't think you're talking about the same thing. When most people are talking about it not slowing down, I think they mean the yelling, running, and shooting (not the overall plot movement...of which there was very little in the movie anyway).

I would be curious if you took the three ST movies and studied them, what the longest time between someone either:

• Running
  • Yelling
  • Shooting/being shot at

Would be for each movie. TFA and especially the TROS have basically no moments where people just sit around and be themselves. TLJ had large spans of very little action, which was really nice (like ESB). Honestly, out of the 9 movies we effectively got 2 that were character dramas, and I think those 2 are in the top 3.

Well as the conclusion to the whole freaking saga, this film should have been CONSTANTLY moving from a plot standpoint. To be honest I was just thinking about what really bugged me about this movie and it's something typical of the majority of Star Wars movies to date. Pacing. They try to cram waaaay too much into each film because of fan expectations. The two best Star Wars films, for me, don't have that problem. A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back are very tight, efficient scripts and the movies move because of that. EVERY film after those two suffer from significant lulls in the story momentum because at that point, the films are trying to serve separate aims other than telling an engaging story. Every Star Wars film after the first two follows the same basic structure... open with a set piece, then slow to a goddamned crawl before picking back up with a climactic second half of the second and and third act. Even The Last Jedi, which I loved, suffers from this with the whole Canto Blight non-sense. ROS suffers from this too and I think that's what hurts this movie the most in addition to the obvious pandering to internet trolls. I was just telling my sister about the movie and as I was telling her, I realized that there's a lot about the movie I actually DID like. But it's definitely a flawed film and is probably in the bottom middle of the overall saga for me of Star Wars films. I'd probably place it somewhere below Rogue One but above Revenge of the Sith, I guess? I have to think about my rankings because it gets murky in the middle. My top three are Empire, New Hope and Last Jedi and the worse is Attack of the Clones. For me. 

36 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Like most directors, he has a few “signature” shots he works in to all his films, but the real masters know how to use them in ways that serve that particular story.

Spike’s signature shot for example is used expertly to convey very different things depending on the film in which it is used.

Not always :p He shoehorns that shit in sometimes... for the most part he gets it in there very effectively though. To be honest I don't remember the last time Spike made a good movie. Black Klanssman I guess? I didn't like that movie as much as most folks.

9 minutes ago, Emblazon said:
  Hide contents

That’s simply not correct. They said the backups were not reliable. Perhaps that’s why R2 has to go back to the events at the end of TFA to get a backup that took. 

It could also be another not-so-subliminal FU to Johnson by restoring 3PO’s memory minus any of the events from TLJ. :lol:

Oh yeah. The writing really is bad in this. "It probably won't work!" Meaning it definitely will when it comes to JJ.

Can't say I was a fan. Easily the worst of the ST but still better than any in the PT. Serious sensory overload. 5/10.

Spoiler

One thing I didn't see touched on was the confrontation of Rey and Kylo when she was in his quarters. Kylo didn't know where she was until Vader's helmet display was destroyed yet she was holding the Sith dagger the entire time. :silly:

The only fan service I enjoyed was Wedge's 3 seconds of screen time.

As far as the SSDs being destroyed at the end. The obvious conclusion to their demise is that they lost the will to live.

han solo shrug GIF by Star Wars