~*Colin Trevorrow's Star Wars: Episode IX - Duel of the Fates OT*~

44 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

right there is your problem 

Reveal hidden contents

No the problem is Disney apparently responding to it. I'm not

Spoiler

Just talking about Rose because I think her character's inclusion was also a  response to racists initially being uncomfortable/offended by Finn and Rey's relationship. 

10 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

No the problem is Disney apparently responding to it. I'm not

Hide contents

Just talking about Rose because I think her character's inclusion was also a  response to racists initially being uncomfortable/offended by Finn and Rey's relationship. 

That would suck if true. TFA had me excited. It was a borderline remake of ANH but I liked the new characters. Was hyped when Finn fought Kylo, etc. I think aside from disliking what they did with Luke my biggest complaint is Finn being turned into a secondary character. 

I think a romance between Rey and Finn would have been cool. Primarily I think I wanted Rey and Finn to go looking for Luke and both becoming Jedi. 

Still undecided if I want to watch this.

ALSO

RILEY

WATCH. YOUR. SPOILERS. :p 

There was one trailer you shared where you posted, "This confirms what we read, namely that X, Y, and Z," even though the trailer didn't show that; it was because you knew about it because you read spoilers and you connected the dots.

I realized that in the opening scene of the movie; next time, man, careful with your dang spoilers because I think you forgot what was something you read and what the rest of us actually knew going into this movie. :p 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

ALSO

RILEY

WATCH. YOUR. SPOILERS. :p 

There was one trailer you shared where you posted, "This confirms what we read, namely that X, Y, and Z," even though the trailer didn't show that; it was because you knew about it because you read spoilers and you connected the dots.

I realized that in the opening scene of the movie; next time, man, careful with your dang spoilers because I think you forgot what was something you read and what the rest of us actually knew going into this movie. :p 

I think you're talking about the one with Palpatine talking in Snoke and Vader's voices? 

Spoiler

The leaks (until days before release, at least) didn't say anything about Palpatine having vats of Snoke clones, or talking to Ben in his head as Vader, so anything I had read had no influence on what I said. But, I do get how people knowing that I know some spoilers will potentially colour how they interpret my opinions of things. My reaction to that particular trailer was to the fan theories (namely that of anti-TLJ fans) who wanted Snoke to be retconned into being a Palpatine host body or something. Of course for all we know Palpatine was lying, as well.

The Cinemascore is out for TROS: B+. This is the first Star Wars movie to not get at least an A. 

This counters the theory (in many places) that TROS's opening weekend (and scores) are lower than TLJ because TLJ was hated by audiences. Some people really believe that critics decided together to dump on TROS because they love TLJ, and that people aren't seeing TROS because they hated TLJ (also the fan theory as to why Solo bombed). 

But now the only actual survey of general audiences shows that fans liked TFA and TLJ more than TROS. So maybe the actual quality of the movie has something to do with the reception.

8 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

The Cinemascore is out for TROS: B+. This is the first Star Wars movie to not get at least an A. 

This counters the theory (in many places) that TROS's opening weekend (and scores) are lower than TLJ because TLJ was hated by audiences. Some people really believe that critics decided together to dump on TROS because they love TLJ, and that people aren't seeing TROS because they hated TLJ (also the fan theory as to why Solo bombed). 

But now the only actual survey of general audiences shows that fans liked TFA and TLJ more than TROS. So maybe the actual quality of the movie has something to do with the reception.

I walked away loving this movie. I feel like the pace through the first and second acts hurt the movie. 

Also this movie felt like pay day for somebody that loves all aspects and Star Wars and loves the lore beyond that of just seeing the movies. I don’t know if a more casual general audience will like it as much. Because of their pace and approach, TFA and TLJ are more casual friendly in that way. Perhaps. 

Repeat viewings are where people will really see how poorly made this film is. I was more bewildered the first time, it was the second time that the broken filmmaking really came into focus.

1 minute ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I walked away loving this movie. I feel like the pace through the first and second acts hurt the movie. 

Also this movie felt like pay day for somebody that loves all aspects and Star Wars and loves the lore beyond that of just seeing the movies. I don’t know if a more casual general audience will like it as much. Because of their pace and approach, TFA and TLJ are more casual friendly in that way. Perhaps. 

A fair amount of people walked out of the movie happy because JJ kept including things that didn’t make sense or were unnecessary and basically asked the audience “are you happy now???” every few minutes. 

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Repeat viewings are where people will really see how poorly made this film is. I was more bewildered the first time, it was the second time that the broken filmmaking really came into focus.

2 minutes ago, johnny said:

A fair amount of people walked out of the movie happy because JJ kept including things that didn’t make sense or were unnecessary and basically asked the audience “are you happy now???” every few minutes. 

n1TphmH.jpg

• Haha 5

Apparently a reverse-review bombing is happening on aggregate sites, with thousands of losers rating it as 10/10 (not saying that some people couldn't like it that much!!!) in a coordinated effort to "get back" at TLJ. I too don't begrudge anyone for liking it. I think that is going to be a big takeaway of a difference between the pro and anti-TLJ camps: The anti-TLJ camps have been sour since the movie came out and continue to be (in general, obviously some people just didn't enjoy it and have moved on), but I don't get the impression that the pro-TLJ are fueled by the same rage now that TROS has come out...they are just disappointed. That's how I feel. If someone likes TROS then more power to them, I just think it sucked, and for all the wrong reasons. If it had strove for something new and exciting and had just failed (as some people view TLJ) then I would be more forgiving. But it tried to appeal to the worst ideas of how to please fans, so I don't forgive it (/JJ).

Also, for reference: Cinemascores from random general audiences:

A

The Force Awakens

The Last Jedi

Rogue One

A-

The Phantom Menace

Attack of the Clones

Revenge of the Sith

Solo

B+

The Rise of Skywalker

There was no such thing as Cinemascore when the OT came out...but I think it's fairly safe to assume that they all would have received at least As, and probably A+ ratings.

Someone on Resetera pointed out a flaw that I didn't notice in theatres:

Spoiler

The Knights of Ren find out that all of the good guys are in the same place, and stranded...but they only take Chewie. 

Obviously this is because JJ wanted a scene where Chewie is thought to be killed...but I feel like that could have been done in a way where it didn't have the most fearsome warriors of the dark side just ignore the main targets.

Star Wars has a way of hitting me emotionally like few franchises can in any media. I felt a swell of emotion when Ashoka found out Vader’s true identity in Rebels. Scenes and moments like this are part of why I love the franchise. 

also I’ve gotten used to Star Wars diverging from my “head canon” long ago. When I was a kid and only had the OT, I thought Yoda trained all Jedi. That Jedi were more like Knights of the Round. Few, but powerful forces for good. I thought Yoda had seen Anakin and deemed him unworthy of being a Jedi, or Obi-wan never took Anakin to Yoda. Either way, Kenobi missed important aspects to training Anakin. Anakin not properly trained tried to take on the Emperor and mutilated and tortured until he gave himself over and became a servant of the Emperor. 

This was years before the PT. I’m not disappointed with real Star Wars. I like it differently. It may not be how I would imagine it, but the core of what was there still entertained my imagination. For me Star Wars is more than just a well made or poorly made movie. 

so just watched it..

-main thing.... dont put crashing waves 2/3 through your film, the old man bladder dont appreciate it

-my wife likes Rey as a character but was growing more and more annoyed with her as the film went on because everything that was going on was about her but she hardly interacted or provided “significant” feedback..

I like her as a character too.. she was in a bad story.. BB8 is also cool as always

-the efforts put in this film to walk back TLJ were pretty blatant and annoying

Just now, Bacon said:

My uncle said this was his favorite SW film and likes it more than the original trilogy :s

I’m fine with people saying they LIKED the movie but it is not a GOOD movie. People like my friend are going to find ways to defend its merits as a movie and it is going to be so annoying when it is so clearly a poor film. I think this will age poorly (or not if the nostalgia is that strong) while the last Jedi ages very well 

I lol'd at this:

Spoiler

Ochi is a "Jedi hunter"/Sith loyalist who Sheev, who must have been alive since at least 15 ABY or so, sent out to capture his granddaughter. He found Rey's parents on Jakku but they sold (!!) their daughter to Unkar Plutt to protect her, then he captured them and took off in his ship (even though Rey was standing RIGHT THERE YELLING AT THE SHIP TO COME BACK). When he couldn't get the parents to speak about Rey's whereabouts, he killed them with his ceremonial dagger, which he had specifically carved to visually demonstrate the location of Sheev's Wayfinder within the wreckage of the Death Star if you hold the dagger up at a certain angle and stand on a certain spot of land. For some reason. He also inscribed on the dagger in the Sith runes the coordinates to find the DSII pieces. He then went to Pasaana, for some reason, and Luke and Lando were chasing him presumably because he's a Jedi hunter and he knew the way to Exegol, which they wanted to find for reasons, but he died when he stepped into quicksand outside his parked ship and got eaten by a snake.

• Haha 6

13 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:
  Hide contents

HURR THAT'S HOW COME HE COULD HANG WITH KYLO IN TFA HERP A DERP SQUERP

That's exactly why they included it... another check checked. Also 

Spoiler

They made sure Rey lost to Kylo this time they fought and she was only saved by Leah reaching out to Kylo

Another check checked. 

2 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Star Wars has a way of hitting me emotionally like few franchises can in any media. I felt a swell of emotion when Ashoka found out Vader’s true identity in Rebels. Scenes and moments like this are part of why I love the franchise. 

also I’ve gotten used to Star Wars diverging from my “head canon” long ago. When I was a kid and only had the OT, I thought Yoda trained all Jedi. That Jedi were more like Knights of the Round. Few, but powerful forces for good. I thought Yoda had seen Anakin and deemed him unworthy of being a Jedi, or Obi-wan never took Anakin to Yoda. Either way, Kenobi missed important aspects to training Anakin. Anakin not properly trained tried to take on the Emperor and mutilated and tortured until he gave himself over and became a servant of the Emperor. 

This was years before the PT. I’m not disappointed with real Star Wars. I like it differently. It may not be how I would imagine it, but the core of what was there still entertained my imagination. For me Star Wars is more than just a well made or poorly made movie. 

Very wonderfully said. This is me too. Beautiful.

I think not having a time jump between TFA and TLJ really constrained the overall trilogy and the last movie in particular. We basically had two movies with the first one being really long. I think we needed off screen character development between 7 and 8 so JJ didn’t try to pack as much into the last one.