~*Colin Trevorrow's Star Wars: Episode IX - Duel of the Fates OT*~

Hoo boy.... Not sounding good. I'm really conflicted about reading spoilers. I'm pretty lukewarm (no pun intended) towards this film after TLJ, but I know at some point I'll see it, and it might be nice to have some surprises to liven things up given how "safe" and "boring" a lot of people have said it is.

I hated TLJ, and I enjoyed this film. It isn't great by any means, but I thought it was pretty good. At least it was good enough ending for the Disney Trilogy. The spoilers read far worse than the shit actually is, IMO. There are also spoilers that didn't happen that seemed like they were cut. Now, I thought there were A LOT of times where JJ said "lol fuck u" to Rian's film, but it wasn't all a fuck you. The biggest FU actually got some people to clap. At least I thought it was the biggest FU. There were 3 times total where the audience cheered and clapped, one being the ending. 

The my audience seemed to love it as a whole. As I left people were talking about getting together to go see it in imax and a different group said they were going to see the film at least two more times. There was at least one guy who said this movie made up for TLJ. However, there was also one very vocal guy who said to his female companion, and I quote, "JJ has went full M. Night Shyamalan," and he was not pleased with the film at all as he expressed that he as little desire to ever see another JJ film, or something similar to that. He also is looking forward to the next Trilogy, which he claimed would be starting in the next 2 or 3 years. 

• Like 1

I hated TLJ, and I enjoyed this film. It isn't great by any means, but I thought it was pretty good. At least it was good enough ending for the Disney Trilogy. The spoilers read far worse than the shit actually is, IMO. There are also spoilers that didn't happen that seemed like they were cut. Now, I thought there were A LOT of times where JJ said "lol fuck u" to Rian's film, but it wasn't all a fuck you. The biggest FU actually got some people to clap. At least I thought it was the biggest FU. There were 3 times total where the audience cheered and clapped, one being the ending. 

The my audience seemed to love it as a whole. As I left people were talking about getting together to go see it in imax and a different group said they were going to see the film at least two more times. There was at least one guy who said this movie made up for TLJ. However, there was also one very vocal guy who said to his female companion, and I quote, "JJ has went full M. Night Shyamalan," and he was not pleased with the film at all as he expressed that he as little desire to ever see another JJ film, or something similar to that. He also is looking forward to the next Trilogy, which he claimed would be starting in the next 2 or 3 years. 

I don't really see this film getting better with another rewatch. It is possible that I would even start to dislike it if I watched it more times. It is a very rushed movie as people have said, and things happen quickly. I feel kinda bad for the old characters. They are just there to be there it feels like. I feel even worse for the Rose character. Basically abandoned and thrown into the trash. She, nor the actress, deserved that. 

Like holy shit, there is also a long profile shot of Adam Driver and holy shit his fucking nose! It is like half of his fucking face I swear it almost looks CG'd to be bigger than it actually is. 

And holy shit the fucking trailers. It felt like they were all made by the same company, and they probably were as the majority of the trailers were for Disney films. They all had that overly epic greatest showman vibe and they all ended with that slow piano were they would just press one key at a time to give you that somber mood. 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Bacon said:

And holy shit the fucking trailers. It felt like they were all made by the same company, and they probably were as the majority of the trailers were for Disney films. They all had that overly epic greatest showman vibe and they all ended with that slow piano were they would just press one key at a time to give you that somber mood. 

Disney required us to play three of their trailers!

3 minutes ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

I'm curious, what were the trailers? What all does Disney have to pump out with Star Wars ending?

I might have been exaggerating a bit cuz here are the trailers I remember:

Free Guy

Top Gun

My Spy

New James Bond

Bad Boys 3

Tenet

Live action Mulan

Doolittle

Onward

Black Widow

8 minutes ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

I'm curious, what were the trailers? What all does Disney have to pump out with Star Wars ending?

I know Black Widow and Milan were two, can’t remember the other.

Bullet point thoughts 

Spoiler

- the last line of the movie is irredeemably bad. Skywalker? Are you fucking kidding me? It would have been PERFECT if she said “just Rey” or something along those lines. Embrace the fact that she is her own person. I can’t take anybody seriously is they liked the line. 

- daddy palpatine was obviously stupid. I guess he fucks? What the fuck happened to his actual son? He didn’t have his dads power and got murked by some guy named Oogie or something? Also, it was very heavy handed that it was palpatine. I mean the damn lightning alone. 

-Rose has basically no role. This is dumb as hell. 

-was Lando gonna fuck that black girl or is he thinking he’s her dad??? Everybody in this movie is horny. Kylo and Rey’s kiss didn’t feel earned at all. In fact almost everything in this movie didn’t feel earned. 

- the score was awful, especially during Rey and Kylo’s big fight

- the plot is ridiculous and JJ obviously tries to do a u-turn after the last Jedi and flips his car because nothing makes sense

- also..... what about when they are getting sucked into the sand and Finn says he needs to tell Rey something. Which never gets brought up again unless I missed it. 

- why would palpatine TELL Rey “you’re gonna kill me and then I’ll possess you” yeah great way to get somebody to not kill you  

I think it is good mindless entertainment. It is sloppy and the payoff isn’t earned

2 hours ago, Bacon said:

The trailers were ridiculous. We watched over 20 minutes of trailers. Every time I thought the movie was going to start another trailer came on. 

3 minutes ago, johnny said:

The trailers were ridiculous. We watched over 20 minutes of trailers. Every time I thought the movie was going to start another trailer came on. 

The movie was listed to start at 6pm, but when the LUCASFILM logo came up it was 6:28. I watched a fucking tv show that was nothing but trailers. 

What a weird, weird, weird movie. It feels like there was a wheelbarrow full of cocaine in the writers room, they did all the blow, then rode their high not to a script, but a checklist of things to address and fears to avoid, then directed the output. 

Edit - more thoughts when it’s not so late but my current rankings would be:

1 ESB

2 TLJ / ANH

3 RotJ

4 TFA

5 TPM / RoS

6 RotS

7 AotC

• Guillotine 1
  • Haha 1

Lol, the trailers thing reminds me when Phantom Menace debuted in theaters, and someone had given out the entire audience in line cheap, knock-off light up sabers before hand. When midnight hit, the lights dimmed, the curtains opened, aaaannnnddd the Disney's Tarzan trailer played and everyone in the theater boo'd and threw the cheap lightsabers at the screen :lol:

Back in '99 I think trailers were maybe 10 minutes tops, so it wasn't like we waited a whole half an hour to get over our frustrations in impatience, haha

The good:

1. Driver and Ridley are acting the hell out of this thing. Both of their characters are absolutely great.

2. Imagery and visuals

The bad:

1. JJ bowed to the Internet trolls.

2. The cardinal sin: sooooo much telling instead of showing.

3. I like my fan service but holy shit JJ calm the fuck down. He's trying to "fix" things from the original 1977 film at points. My God. Just stop.

4. Is this the spoiler thread?

Spoiler

I felt like I was paying attention but I still have no idea why Ben was suddenly like "actually I'ma be gud now." And then Leia dies of... What?

The characters really save this from being an absolute dumpster fire.

I said this in the other thread and forgot that was the RT thread. But the characters save this from being an absolute dumpster fire. I can't say JJ is a bad director because he's the one who made me love them so much in the first place. But when you're trying to correct things from the original film that fans only noticed or cared about 40 years later perhaps it's a time to reflect on what made that movie so good in the first place. Reddit is not the place to go to get movie ideas. I don't know if Rey's development was technically undone but it felt like a huge step backwards.

But... I still enjoyed it. Force Time was great and used very effectively in this movie. The characters are still top notch. The imagery and visuals were awesome as expected in an Abrams film.

I'll also put my initial ranking based off of first viewing

V

VIII

IV

VII

VI

IX

III

I

II

• Guillotine 1

I once again feel like the non force users are wasted. Poe was better for me, but I still hate how Finn feels like a side character when he should have been the most interesting. Making Finn and Rey one character would have been great. Finn feels too much like a side character. The OT had Luke, Han, and Leia, but the ST only had Luke and some side bitches. The ST should not have tried to copy/recapture the OT main party. 

So this movie plays like it was written by a Reddit committee that dislikes TLJ, and feels that content and imagery are insufficient for conveying story / everything must be explained.

Re: needing to explain everything:

Spoiler

How many times are we told Rey is a Palpatine? Sheev says it. Kylo says it, I think twice. Luke says it. Luke says Leia knew it. Jesus fucking Christ, we get it.

Someone literally says, "WHY DON'T WE JUST USE THE HOLDO MANEUVER," and Finn has to fucking explain it. I hope to god everyone that bitched about this are happy that there's an in canon explanation, and it's the obvious one. I hope the line demonstrates how unnecessary the explanation was in the first place.

Oooh what about Snoke, what was his deal? Sheev: "I WAS SNOKE HE CLONE NOW LOOK AT THEM VATS I HAVE MANY SNOKE AS YOU CAN SEE"

Rey, "THAT WAS THE SHIP MY PARENTS LEFT ON," because this film doesn't trust its audience to make the connection by SEEING the ship in Rey's memory or you know, being told that she's Palp's granddaughter no fewer than 5 times.

Why didn't all the Jedi ForceTime all the time? "OH LOOK YOU ARE FORCE LINKED SO RARE LET ME FELLATE YOUR POWER WHICH I WILL DO NOW I AM TELLING YOU I AM DOING IT."

The movie is rife with shit like this.

Re: RoS as a response to TLJ:

Spoiler

The opening crawl should have said, "Rose died on her way back to her home planet," as the first line. Holy fucking shit. She could be removed from the film and NOTHING would be different. She says NOTHING. She contributes NOTHING. For someone who was a meaningful part of TLJ's emotional core, this is lousy. Moreover it is incredibly disappointing that this is what happened to Rose / Kelly Marie Tran after the "fan" response to her post TLJ. Good to know that a bunch of keyboard cowboys can get Disney so scared as to write characters out of existence.

Poe is back to wanting to just blow stuff up?

Turns out the Force doesn't belong to us, there's a whole lot of dynastic succession going on.

More about the characters when I have time to chew on this some more.

• Thanks 1

Just left a 615am IMAX screening... I didn't hate it but yeah... This is what happens when you pay waaaaay too much attention to what the internet thinks instead of just making your movie. The first what, damn near two thirds of the movie was kinda pointless and seemed to exist solely so that we could get the gang together for an adventure.  When the film DID pick up finally it still dwelled too much on fan service.  Some lines seemed to be in direct response to internet criticism. Like JJ was reading some of the threads on this board.  It's a shame too because the characters are really great and the actors all did a great job. Oh well... Star Wars needs to be put on ice for a bit so they can figure out where they want to go next with the property.  Again,  I didn't hate it and will probably enjoy it more the next time I see it. But it's a very flawed movie and it didn't have to be. I gotta figure out where it is in my rankings... probably somewhere in the bottom middle I would think. Congratulations trolls... you got the Star Wars movie you wanted apparently.  Hope you enjoy it.

Can we talk about how absolutely terrible the Leia stuff is in this film? It looks soooo bad, and feature some terrible line readings. They had such little to work with, but they should have skipped out on having her at all.

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The first what, damn near two thirds of the movie was kinda pointless and seemed to exist solely so that we could get the gang together for an adventure. 

Spoiler

The fetch quests were completely pointless as Rey got the way finder by stealing Kyle’s ship

😂

KAL WAS HERE - I think we're still spoiler tagging???