~~ CEB Community Thread ~~

Alright chums, what should I do in D.C.? We will be there the first weekend of August and I've only been to D.C. once when I was 13 for the March for Life (I actively thought the anti-abortion movement was bullshit; I was just an impish Catholic school boy who wanted to skip school for the day). This is my redemption tour. Our current itinerary includes:

- DC United game (I have never seen a professional soccer match live, so I'm very excited for this even though they suck)

- The Phillips Collection

- Kramers

- Mai Thai

My wife knows D.C. pretty extensively so she has plenty of places to lead us, but we are keeping some time open for things she's never done or seen as well. We'll be staying in Embassy Row for perspective, so places within walking distance would be ideal. We're also not sure which Smithsonian's would be best if we had to prioritize them.

Churchkey for beer, also good food. Birch and Barley downstairs is the same beer list but different food. Also The Sovereign (by the same people, I haven't been but I'm sure it's good considering it's the same people).

Go to the Botanic Garden. It's right next to Congress.

11 minutes ago, Jason said:

Churchkey for beer, also good food. Birch and Barley downstairs is the same beer list but different food. Also The Sovereign (by the same people, I haven't been but I'm sure it's good considering it's the same people).

Go to the Botanic Garden. It's right next to Congress.

Churchkey’s beer list is absurd :lol: that has definitely made our list. 

11 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Churchkey’s beer list is absurd :lol: that has definitely made our list. 

IIRC it's 50 taps and a couple of cask lines. :santasun: And yeah I thought Blind Tiger in NYC was really good and then I went to DC and was blown away by Churchkey. I think their advantage is that in all 50 states, there's a strict brewer->distributor->bar/store/etc model. But DC has an exception that if you can't get it through "normal means" (so not through a DC distributor), if you can physically get it into the District yourself, then you can legally sell it as long as you pay the tax on it. And the guy who owns Churchkey is very plugged into the craft beer scene. So they'll get random kegs not just from breweries who don't distribute in that region of the country but even random kegs from brewers in Europe and whatnot who don't even distribute in the US at all.

I bought some smart plugs and hooked the TVs in our house up to them. I connected those to our Amazon Alexa. I then made a routine in the app that makes the Alexa full blast say "A mess has been detected in the house. This TV will now turn off until it is cleaned up." And the Smart plugs power off whichever TV the kids are watching so the remotes can't work to turn the TVs back on either. Only I can turn them back on via the app.

My brethren in Christ my home has never been so tidy as it has the past month. It's even to the point where my oldest asks me if I think Alexa will detect a mess in the house before he even turns on the TV.

Follow me for more tips on how to bend and manipulate your children to your will with practically 0 abuse.*

* not a guarantee

• Haha 2

Dunno how much I'll be posting this week. After 2 1/2 years of postponement after cancellation after delay, we're finally going on our Alaskan cruise. And I'm gonna force myself to spend very little time here so I can just like look at nature and shit.

• Like 1
  • Halal 3

Just now, SaysWho? said:

Dunno how much I'll be posting this week. After 2 1/2 years of postponement after cancellation after delay, we're finally going on our Alaskan cruise. And I'm gonna force myself to spend very little time here so I just do shit like look at nature and shit.

Not sure how many men in their 30s on that cruise line become victims of sex trafficking, but stay alert and have fun!

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Dunno how much I'll be posting this week. After 2 1/2 years of postponement after cancellation after delay, we're finally going on our Alaskan cruise. And I'm gonna force myself to spend very little time here so I can just like look at nature and shit.

There's gonna be a view from your bathroom?

18 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Inuk's time to cross the Rainbow Bridge has finally arrived.  His quality of life has been declining for the last few weeks and completely dropped over the weekend.  We've scheduled the final procedure for 1:30pm tomorrow but have requested an earlier slot of one becomes available.

Really sorry to hear that, Wade. I know you got some "bonus" time with him and that you made the most of it.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Inuk's time to cross the Rainbow Bridge has finally arrived.  His quality of life has been declining for the last few weeks and completely dropped over the weekend.  We've scheduled the final procedure for 1:30pm tomorrow but have requested an earlier slot of one becomes available.

Your big dumb internet family is with you. You were a good owner and gave him a good life. 

• Like 2

Losing our companions is very hard. I always take comfort in knowing that while parting ways is unbearable, I gave them the best possible life and made sure they were as carefree and content as possible. From what you've posted about Inuk, Wade, I know that it was the same, and that he loves you very much and has had a great experience with you.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2022 at 5:36 PM, marioandsonic said:

Update:

I just received the email regarding my borrower defense claim.  It's been officially approved for 100%, and the discharge should take place sometime within the next 6 months.  No word on whether or not I'd get some kind of refund, but there you go. 

So...I just got off the phone with my loan provider, and I am indeed getting a refund payment. They didn't know if it was going to all in one payment or separate smaller ones, but the total refund amount?

$9,400.

Holy shit.

They also didn't know if I have to report that on my taxes next year, but still. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

So...I just got off the phone with my loan provider, and I am indeed getting a refund payment. They didn't know if it was going to all in one payment or separate smaller ones, but the total refund amount?

$9,400.

Holy shit.

They also didn't know if I have to report that on my taxes next year, but still. 

Congrats! 

My condolences Wade. It's not easy and will feel like a gut punch now. 

I lost my dog 2 years ago. I was closer to him than any other I've had and it was really difficult.  I can tell you that I am thankful now that I got to spend those years with him and take care of him, and he continues to give joy long after his passing. I hope the same happens to you down the road and you can look back and think of the good things.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Between the sedative and the increased painkiller dosage, Inuk is sleeping very comfortably.  He probably won't even be awake when the vet arrives for the procedure.

This is why the gods gifted us liquor. Sorry again Wade.

Also for anyone wondering, my username stands for “The user formerly known as Kaberle”

Yeah, been a long five years glad to see everyone is well. Not sure if I’ll be very active now, but Wade fully invited me back to posting here in our PM.

• Like 3
  • Sicko 1
  • Halal 5

19 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

Also for anyone wondering, my username stands for “The user formerly known as Kaberle”

Yeah, been a long five years glad to see everyone is well. Not sure if I’ll be very active now, but Wade fully invited me back to posting here in our PM.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TUFKAK said:

Yay! Glad to see you, I've missed your contributions!

• Like 1

I’m feeling the feels. You guys all greatly influenced my life, sans a view users who seem to be gone now anyway, so glad to see you all.

Cliff note updates.

i no longer live in Bmore, Bay Area now, work in SF and am a union rep for my department.

Homeowner here and one in Greece; golden visa program is your exit guys; Greece just has a lower bar to clear cost wise.  I’m proud of my game-room here in the bay so I’m back to gaming again because…

I’ve massively downsized, no longer compete and never will again, think I’m about 220 now from 250 when I was last here.

to the shock of everyone I’m engaged, I do have a great engagement story with that said.

to the shock of no one we’re poly and I’m with my gf right now waiting to go out in the city, she takes long showers. To surprise you a bit, gf is white. We’re gonna be in Sardinia soon. I’ll attach pics when I’m there.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TUFKAK said:

I’m feeling the feels. You guys all greatly influenced my life, sans a view users who seem to be gone now anyway, so glad to see you all.

Cliff note updates.

i no longer live in Bmore, Bay Area now, work in SF and am a union rep for my department.

Homeowner here and one in Greece; golden visa program is your exit guys; Greece just has a lower bar to clear cost wise.  I’m proud of my game-room here in the bay so I’m back to gaming again because…

I’ve massively downsized, no longer compete and never will again, think I’m about 220 now from 250 when I was last here.

to the shock of everyone I’m engaged, I do have a great engagement story with that said.

to the shock of no one we’re poly and I’m with my gf right now waiting to go out in the city, she takes long showers. To surprise you a bit, gf is white. We’re gonna be in Sardinia soon. I’ll attach pics when I’m there.

Have you gotten your Greek/EU visa? I’ve heard they’re harder to come by after the Russian invasion