~~ CEB Community Thread ~~

13 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I'm playing guitar for a Bolivian folk music group tonight for a cultural festival in Salt Lake City.

Like, I know nobody likes the brand new guy coming in and trying to change shit but come on. It's going to be so mediocre. LMAO. But, I'm just there to fill the background melody. Whatever.

Sounds like a no fail performance.

14 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Had to play a bit of the ol’ social media hardball with our landlord at the indoor theater.

Posted something pretty spicy on our Facebook page about our landlord trying to squeeze us, community got up in arms about it, local news comes the next day to do a story.

t_cf401f99fd1f42298244f50c6ad0d1b4_name_
WWW.CLICK2HOUSTON.COM

The Wellborne Cinema Four Theater in Alvin was in danger of closing but spoiler alert, all sides have agreed to work together to keep it open.

She was pissed, but relented 😂

The laugh reaction is for the landlord getting bit in the ass over it. Glad you were able to win this battle.

22 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Is there a reason you can’t purchase direct and install them yourselves or find a different contractor to do the install m? Butcherblock is very easy to secure, so the install price should be very reasonable.

The lifetime, food-safe seal is what attracts us to this countertop, so not something we can do ourselves, unfortunately. However, we've talked to the company and they are fine cutting out some of the other stuff that we can handle (demo of existing counter, putting up the new tile backsplash ourselves, etc). So we've managed to reduce the price by 30%. Still undecided if it's a good time to do it, though!

Priced out some blocks and edging stones for a few small retaining walls and garden edge...likely $1,200 for just the stones/pavers. Yikes! Fortunately something we can do ourselves on a weekend, once we have the stuff. I will just need to INSIST to my wife that I handle the first steps (leveling soil, first layer, etc) as she is impatient and wants to just do things. But with a few hundred bricks it's not easy to undo if the grading is off. I told her that I am the general contractor for this job, and she is the sub, lol.

7 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Priced out some blocks and edging stones for a few small retaining walls and garden edge...likely $1,200 for just the stones/pavers. Yikes! Fortunately something we can do ourselves on a weekend, once we have the stuff. I will just need to INSIST to my wife that I handle the first steps (leveling soil, first layer, etc) as she is impatient and wants to just do things. But with a few hundred bricks it's not easy to undo if the grading is off. I told her that I am the general contractor for this job, and she is the sub, lol.

Oh a bit of role reversal I see

• Haha 1
  • Sicko 2

I just drove for an hour to see a car only to arrive and be told it sold moments before I got here. I specifically asked if I could put a refundable deposit down so it didn't get sold while I was driving over, and was told on the phone that they don't do that. WELL GUESS WHAT THEY SAY THEY DO IN FACT DO ONCE I GET HERE

2 hours ago, Jason said:

I just drove for an hour to see a car only to arrive and be told it sold moments before I got here. I specifically asked if I could put a refundable deposit down so it didn't get sold while I was driving over, and was told on the phone that they don't do that. WELL GUESS WHAT THEY SAY THEY DO IN FACT DO ONCE I GET HERE

So I think this will ultimately end with me getting a good deal, but still really annoying I couldn't drive the new car home today. The two shitty things are I'll wind up having to pay my registration renewal on the current car (works out to like $25 a month over a year, non-trivial extra cost thanks to them not taking a deposit for the car I called about today) and I'll have to waste time doing the annual maintenance on the current car. And $20 in wasted gas today. 

30 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Damn y’all got some miles, I have a 2014 Impreza and I only have like 70k on it (and I think it had 10-12k when I got it). 

To be fair, I got mine in 2014, and it had like 40k on it already.  Also, since I've moved close to my workplace three years ago, I've only put about 30k on it since.

7 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I’ll have you know I live in the independent city of Richmond, and not one of the suburban counties. 

the border to one is a couple hundred feet away

Between you and Jamelle Bouie I feel like I have a deep understanding of a very specific demographic in central Virginia.

2 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Small yuppie commutes > *

I live in the burbs now, I was tired of living with a lovable lunatic leading our condo association who would let Click or Clack park in my parking spot or prank call me when they were drunk, and who took almost an entire year to have a contractor come and fix our front porch after someone drove their BMW into it. :p The porch was built in 1880something and since we were on a corner, it wasn't uncommon for people to pick our porch to sit on and smoke. I lived in constant fear or someone sitting on an exposed nail and getting 19th century tetanus and suing me into an early grave. Also we bought our condo at $275 and sold it for $510 so I couldn't resist those sick gains. Our beagle is much happier as well. I do miss Somerville though.

The mileage thing is related to walking to work from 2016 until we moved, then the pandemic hitting so I rarely drive.

I bought the RS with the notion of driving it until the wheels fall off, but that might take longer than I'll be alive at this point. My next car will likely be an electric something, but we'll see. Rivians are specific kind of ugly that I like. I still desperately want a convertible Mini Cooper S but that makes no sense in Mass, especially as someone who doesn't currently have a garage, but I'm not always sensible so who the fuck knows.

In the meantime the RS is basically like Mario Karting everywhere IRL, it's great.

I wfh and my wife works less than 2 miles away. We just go places with the kids, and we use the van for all errands especially since gas is so expensive; 36 mpg average is better than the fit even. But we only seem to regularly fill the van up a bit more than once a month

1 hour ago, Chris- said:

Between you and Jamelle Bouie I feel like I have a deep understanding of a very specific demographic in central Virginia.

This is probably the first and only time I’ll be grouped with Jamelle, but he lives in Whoville and that place is just so strange.   I’ve just never really gotten along with anyone who went to UVA they’re very strange people. They have wine and cheese for football tailgating, as undergrads!

16 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I wfh and my wife works less than 2 miles away. We just go places with the kids, and we use the van for all errands especially since gas is so expensive; 36 mpg average is better than the fit even. But we only seem to regularly fill the van up a bit more than once a month

Hopefully you're keeping that van out of the city.

28 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Hopefully you're keeping that van out of the city.

If I am going to a place where I have to parallel park we use the fit. It’s about half the length! But we live close enough to The Fan and other fun areas of the city that we will be moving to bikes for those trips when we can find a sitter

• Shocked 1

Question for everyone:

What are some of your favorite resources for financial advice and information, retirement planning, investments, etc.? In my new job starting in about a month, I'm actually going to start having money left over at the end of the month :celebrate:, plus my new employer will award stock as part of my compensation package, as well as 401k matching, bonuses, etc. I'm completely ignorant about a lot of the vocabulary, programs, costs/benefits, etc. when it comes to financial matters because it just has never been available to me, but I don't want to waste the opportunity. 

I assume corporate will have some information but I don't want them to be my only source since they of course have their own agenda, like everyone. :p 

If this is too broad of a question I can try to narrow it down a bit. 

53 minutes ago, Nokra said:

Question for everyone:

What are some of your favorite resources for financial advice and information, retirement planning, investments, etc.? In my new job starting in about a month, I'm actually going to start having money left over at the end of the month :celebrate:, plus my new employer will award stock as part of my compensation package, as well as 401k matching, bonuses, etc. I'm completely ignorant about a lot of the vocabulary, programs, costs/benefits, etc. when it comes to financial matters because it just has never been available to me, but I don't want to waste the opportunity. 

I assume corporate will have some information but I don't want them to be my only source since they of course have their own agenda, like everyone. :p 

If this is too broad of a question I can try to narrow it down a bit. 

I’ve picked up a lot from the personal finance subreddit tbh. 

• Thanks 1