Girls can now join the Boy Scouts of America, now called Scouts BSA

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/01/us/boy-scouts-girls-trnd/index.html

You read that right. As of Friday, the organization's older youth program, "Boy Scouts," will be called "Scouts BSA" -- a change meant to welcome both boys and girls between the ages of 11 and 17.

It also means young women can realize their dreams of becoming Eagle Scouts, the organization's coveted highest rank, which can offer lifelong academic and professional benefits. The first class of female Eagle Scouts will be recognized in 2020, according to Boy Scouts of America.

3 minutes ago, Nokra said:

I get trying to expand your audience, and maybe their hearts are in the right place (trying to provide opportunities), but this seems very much like a hostile takeover. :/ 

I'm not following?

IIRC, most countries that have a Scouting organization allow both sexes into it. And girls aren't really taking over.

4 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I'm not following?

IIRC, most countries that have a Scouting organization allow both sexes into it. And girls aren't really taking over.

I meant that the Boy Scouts are performing a hostile takeover of the Girl Scouts. 

2 minutes ago, Nokra said:

I meant that the Boy Scouts are performing a hostile takeover of the Girl Scouts. 

Ah.

Even then, the girls who want to join the Boy Scouts (now Scouts BSA) wanted to do Boy Scout activities. I don't necessarily think they're poaching from the Girl Scouts.

Reading the whole thread now I don't think I realized how many people didn't know there was a significant difference in the activities between boy and girl scouts. They're not two different halves of the same organization, they're totally different. Boy Scouts go camping, learn first aid, fishing, archery, etc. Girl Scouts learn how to sew and sell cookies.

Moreover, boy scout troops were not allowed to admit girls even if they wanted to. Long story short, my troop wanted to admit a girl (sister of another scout, she was definitely more capable than him too) that everyone thought should be allowed in and she wanted it but nope. We had to start an Explorer group so that she could be included. It's bullshit. 

Just now, Anathema- said:

Reading the whole thread now I don't think I realized how many people didn't know there was a significant difference in the activities between boy and girl scouts. They're not two different halves of the same organization, they're totally different. Boy Scouts go camping, learn first aid, fishing, archery, etc. Girl Scouts learn how to sew and sell cookies.

Moreover, boy scout troops were not allowed to admit girls even if they wanted to. Long story short, my troop wanted to admit a girl (sister of another scout, she was definitely more capable than him too) that everyone thought should be allowed in and she wanted it but nope. We had to start an Explorer group so that she could be included. It's bullshit. 

I knew the Girl Scouts are separate from the Boy Scouts. I still don't know what the actual practical difference(s) between the two amounts to but you clearly do so...uh...what's the actual, real-world difference here

Just now, Jason said:

I knew the Girl Scouts are separate from the Boy Scouts. I still don't know what the actual practical difference(s) between the two amounts to but you clearly do so...uh...what's the actual, real-world difference here

Being a Boy Scout is useful, being a Girl Scout is not!

5 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

That's why I don't really understand the backlash. Scouting in most countries operates like this where boys and girls go camping, learn to fish, etc. Changing the name and allowing both sexes to do those kinds of activities made the most sense to me.

"But they might knock the girls up." Something I actually heard yesterday.

12 minutes ago, Jason said:

I just gave you the highlights. Boy scouts do all the things you might associate with scouting and girl scouts do not. You could Google it, but after having briefly done that I think that there may still be significant differences not accounted for. Do some reading anyway because I'm not even covering it all here. 

The larger BSA is a nationwide organization. Critically, despite troops being largely independent, they are also a part of this nationwide structure and some of the most fun you can have in scouting is when you go with your troop to larger regional events. Camping goes from overnight to two nights and you socialize and compete in all manner of activities. There are also larger regional summercamps where you live out there for a week and are able to do so much that you wouldn't normally have access to. And all that is before we get into the secret societies. The two are significantly different and yes a lot of it comes down to the two organization's aims for the development of their youth. 

I went to one summer camp and there was a "troop" of what were apparently just a group of guys who liked to do adventurous camping stuff and signed up not knowing it was a scouting camp and they got into it. They were told they had to be in uniform for the troop meetings, they all bought shirts (notably with no patches but that was okay), they were told they had to participate and come up with stuff like a troop cheer and they did. Their spirit was infectious and made a lasting impression on me. Now imagine there's no opportunity for girls like that like there is for boys. 

11 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Good for them. 

How are they on the gays? 

I won’t ask about transgender, they just started accepting biological females. Can’t imagine they’re as understanding of the more gender fluid individuals. 

You might be surprised.  It's been a fairly recent, but swift turnaround.  As of 2014 the BSA began accepting gay scouts.  As of July 2015 they lifted their ban on gay adults as scout leaders.  As of January 2017 the scouts began accepting transgender boys into the scouts (they accept whatever gender the person puts on the application to join, regardless of biological sex). 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Good for them. 

I won’t ask about transgender, they just started accepting biological females. Can’t imagine they’re as understanding of the more gender fluid individuals. 

They lifted the bans based on sexual orientation a few years ago: 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-boyscouts/boy-scouts-lift-blanket-ban-on-gay-adult-leaders-employees-idUSKCN0Q113220150728

11 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Good for them. 

Gay boys are allowed, as are transgendered boys

I remember that there was actually a pretty big stink about it and several Eagle Scouts were returning their Eagle badge in protest. Which is a pretty big deal, as it represents a fair amount of time and work. 

20 minutes ago, Nokra said:

Gay boys are allowed, as are transgendered boys

I remember that there was actually a pretty big stink about it and several Eagle Scouts were returning their Eagle badge in protest. Which is a pretty big deal, as it represents a fair amount of time and work. 

And in 40 or 50 years, these Eagle Scouts will be able to proudly tell their grandkids they protested against gays and transgenders in their beloved scouts! Just like all of those proud white kids who refused to go to public school with black kids in the 1950s. 

8 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I’m confused about the GS hate in here: I thought that the GS have classes/badges for girls about science, programming, robotics, etc? Things that can actually be used for jobs in their adult life.

They do. Also, none of y’all motherfuckers can hem a pair of pants, so don’t act like sewing isn’t a worthwhile skill to know compared to knowing 30 different knots that you will never use. 

8 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I’m confused about the GS hate in here: I thought that the GS have classes/badges for girls about science, programming, robotics, etc? Things that can actually be used for jobs in their adult life.

They do. Thinking that all they do is knit and sell cookies is very outdated. I'd much rather put my son in GS.

1 minute ago, Chris- said:

They do. Also, none of y’all motherfuckers can hem a pair of pants, so don’t act like sewing isn’t a worthwhile skill to know compared to knowing 30 different knots that you will never use. 

It's true. I'm too lazy to learn how tf to do that, but if I knew, I'd have saved myself trouble over the years.