Girls can now join the Boy Scouts of America, now called Scouts BSA

They were different because of sexism in America. The girl scouts became more successful regardless of what they had against them. The boys had homophobia and copied the selling food idea. Now they're trying to force a harder takeover. They're a bunch of losers rebranding themselves to steal what others built. Typical American men.

4 minutes ago, 2user1cup said:

They were different because of sexism in America. The girl scouts became more successful regardless of what they had against them. The boys had homophobia and copied the selling food idea. Now they're trying to force a harder takeover. They're a bunch of losers rebranding themselves to steal what others built. Typical American men.

Or maybe, both organizations should take good ideas from the other, since both obviously have deficiencies. Boys should be able to learn how to cook and sew, and girls should be able to to survival training in the wilderness.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Or maybe, both organizations should take good ideas from the other, since both obviously have deficiencies. Boys should be able to learn how to cook and sew, and girls should be able to to survival training in the wilderness.

I'd prefer the solution where the BS burn in the eternal flames they preached fags would burn in.

Why do girls want to join the Boy Scouts? 

Should they be allowed to join?

Is allowing them to join concidered a hostile takeover of the Girl Scouts? 

If the Girl Scouts are incapable of change in the areas girls want, then it would be unjustified to not allow girls to join the Boy Scouts.  

Much hostile 

40 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Girl Scouts have had wilderness and survival badges for years, man.

I mean, this decision has absolutely nothing to do with being inclusionary and everything to do with the Boy Scouts trying to poach girls to save themselves since their numbers have been heavily dwindling for awhile now. I’m beyond confused by the general reactions in this thread. The GS are a better and more successful organization for children in virtually every way afaik. 🤷‍♂️

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I mean, this decision has absolutely nothing to do with being inclusionary and everything to do with the Boy Scouts trying to poach girls to save themselves since their numbers have been heavily dwindling for awhile now. I’m beyond confused by the general reactions in this thread. The GS are a better and more successful organization for children in virtually every way afaik. 🤷‍♂️

Of course it’s a power grab. What else do people expect the BSA to do when survival is on the line.  

And concidering the GSA is superior in every single way, then they have nothing to worry about. 

14 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

And why has the BSA ranks been dwindling?

Primarily because Mormons have left the BSA due to the more inclusive stance of the organization in the last 5 or 6 years.

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Primarily because Mormons have left the BSA due to the more inclusive stance of the organization in the last 5 or 6 years.

It was dwindling before that... they’ve been on a steady membership decline since 1972 and have reached desperation numbers in the past decade (well before allowing gay and transgender boys in).

6567-CC99-8-D72-46-C3-A0-CA-BF000102-F04

Unless I’m misunderstanding and you’re suggesting that the mormons caused this decline to start nearly 50 years ago? :confused:

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

There is that and the religiosity of the organization.  I know of a handful of people who either pulled their kids out or didn’t have them join because of it.  Religion is dying and the programs that go with them.  

7 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

It was dwindling before that... they’ve been on a steady membership decline since 1972 and have reached desperation numbers in the past decade (well before allowing gay and transgender boys in).

6567-CC99-8-D72-46-C3-A0-CA-BF000102-F04

Unless I’m misunderstanding and you’re suggesting that the mormons caused this decline to start nearly 50 years ago? :confused:

There has been a culture war inside the organization for the last 20 years between those who want to secularize the organization and those who view it as a tool of religious conservatism. The Mormon defections in the last decade has been what caused financial instability in the organization. This has been widely reported :p

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

This has been widely reported :p

Yet actual statistics show roughly the same level of decline from 1998-2016.

I’m well aware of the mormon church breaking their relationship with BSA, but to cite that as the main/only/most-significant reason for decline ignores statistics and data. I’m not arguing that it was/is yet another blow to the BSA, however.

In regards to financial instability, IIRC, that began in the mid-90s, not the past 5 years. A lot of it coming from sexual abuse scandals/cover-ups.

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Yet actual statistics show roughly the same level of decline from 1998-2016.

I’m well aware of the mormon church breaking their relationship with BSA, but to cite that as the main/only/most-significant reason for decline ignores statistics and data. I’m not arguing that it was/is yet another blow to the BSA, however.

In regards to financial instability, IIRC, that began in the mid-90s, not the past 5 years.

I’ll try and make it as clear as possible. There is a bottom line cost to running the BSA, and you need a certain number of participants to meet that. The BSA made the move to include girls because the result of losing the Mormons left the program insolvent. The Mormons left because of the changes being made regarding inclusion.

If the Mormons had stuck around they would have kept plugging away for another couple of decades.

2 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

And in 40 or 50 years, these Eagle Scouts will be able to proudly tell their grandkids they protested against gays and transgenders in their beloved scouts! Just like all of those proud white kids who refused to go to public school with black kids in the 1950s. 

You seem to have assumed I meant that they protested against letting them in, when in fact they protested against their exclusion.

• Thanks 1

I would argue the girl scouts teach far more valuable skills than the boy scouts do, even if all they do is "sell cookies" if they were doing it right. The problem the vast majority do it the lazy way where the little girl just looks all adorable outside the super market and then the parents go bother all of their coworkers to sell a few extra boxes. But every now and then, you run into a girl who is a bonafide hustler and is actually learning some useful entrepreneurial experience that will take her far in life. You wanna be the kid that sells the most boxes and gets that free trip to Disney World or whatever, you gotta go the extra mile and do more than what every other kid is doing and it's good for kids to learn that. That's much better than learning a bunch of stuff you could just Youtube these days if you really needed it.  

5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I’ll try and make it as clear as possible. There is a bottom line cost to running the BSA, and you need a certain number of participants to meet that. The BSA made the move to include girls because the result of losing the Mormons left the program insolvent. The Mormons left because of the changes being made regarding inclusion.

If the Mormons had stuck around they would have kept plugging away for another couple of decades.

I think what he's asking is, what you're saying explains much of their issues recently as well as their financial troubles. But from the 70s to the 90s, what was driving the decline? I'm curious as well because I'm not a Scout historian. :p 

The problem is that Girl Scouts in the U.S. decided to deviate from the name chosen by Baden-Powell -- Girl Guides -- which is what the movement is known as everywhere else.  I think that is causing all of the confusion...

That said, my sons had their Pinewood Derby races over the weekend.  The same venue was also being used by Girl Guides (where it looked like they were coloring Valentines?) -- half of the girls migrated over to watch the races...

14 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

And I’ll make this as clear as possible, according to actual data, membership was in steep and steady decline well before the mormons began leaving. Financial troubles began much earlier than the mormons leaving due to mismanagement and all of the sexual abuse law suits. 

Yes, the mormons leaving and breaking their relationship with BSA added more impact and woes over the past 5 years. However, membership was on a sharp decline well before the mormons left. If you have statistics that disprove the chart I posted, I am 100% willing to listen, but every chart I’ve found shows the same decline.

Conversely, I do not believe that the mormons sticking around would have done much to help to the already financially mismanaged BSA that was already discussing bankruptcy options prior to the mormon decline 5-years ago.

15 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Conversely, I do not believe that the mormons sticking around would have done much to help to the already financially mismanaged BSA that was already discussing bankruptcy options prior to the mormon decline 5-years ago.

Based on what? There have been plenty of people within the BSA that have said the Mormoms leaving was the death knell of the organization as it had been for 100 years. The inclusion of girls was time exactly with the draw down in the Mormon participation. 

Your argument reminds me of people who defend sports players that blow big play at the end of the game that would have won the game. They say “what about the play at the beginning?” Everything is action and reaction in the moment. The inclusion of girls is a reaction to losing the Mormons. Unless all the insiders are lying, which they could be.