Girls can now join the Boy Scouts of America, now called Scouts BSA

I have no clue what the Scouts are like today, but my impression of the Scouts was that they varied greatly depending on where you were. Sure, there are some big get togethers at camps each year, but the vast majority of your time spent is with your local troop, and local troops vary as much schools. There are rich ones and poor ones, troops that are organized and those that aren't, troops that plan cool events and those that do the absolute minimum. There are troops with parents that really make it worthwhile, and others that make it into a chore. Even from year to year it might feel like a completely different experience.

My wife's experience with the girl scouts was that it was a completely worthless organization hell-bent on selling cookies and otherwise teaching girls more "classically feminine" skills like baking and sewing. I'm not sure how much that's changed or how much of that was her local chapter, but I think it's safe to say that during our childhood, the two organizations didn't have much overlap in what they did.

Both of our experiences with scouting were overall very negative, but if I had a kid I'd still look into it. Maybe the local chapter would be a really good and worthwhile.

31 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Based on what?

53 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

the already financially mismanaged BSA that was already discussing bankruptcy options prior to the mormon decline 5-years ago.

Derp

I never said it wouldn’t have delayed it, but stopped it or allowed them exist unchanged for decades more? Absolutely not.

I’m still waiting on your statisical evidence showing a sharper decline in membership from 2014-present over 1998-2016.

Again, the mormons leaving hurt them more, but it’s not even close to the reason of a 47-year steady trend in declining membership. I’d agree that it’s another sharp nail in their coffin, though.

3 hours ago, Chris- said:

They do. Also, none of y’all motherfuckers can hem a pair of pants, so don’t act like sewing isn’t a worthwhile skill to know compared to knowing 30 different knots that you will never use. 

Believe it or not boy scouts are just expected to just know how to do basic sewing. There's no merit badge, and frankly there should be, but the scout is expected to sew all of their patches and badges on themselves. 

12 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Derp

I never said it wouldn’t have delayed it, but stopped it or allowed them exist unchanged for decades more? Absolutely not.

The BSA has already gone through significant restructuring of operations prior to this move to fix their previous mismanagement. 

The move to include girls was specifically the result of the Mormons leaving because the financial impact. It is irrelevant if they had financial issues in the past, or if there were other times and reasons for decline. 

Go go ahead and have the last word on this, I don’t even care about this topic :p

6 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The BSA has already gone through significant restructuring of operations prior to this move to fix their previous mismanagement. 

The move to include girls was specifically the result of the Mormons leaving because the financial impact. It is irrelevant if they had financial issues in the past, or if there were other times and reasons for decline. 

Go go ahead and have the last word on this, I don’t even care about this topic :p

You’re bailing because you have no actual evidence to counter mine as to why the decline in membership started 47 years ago regardless of mormons and are getting frustrated. Got it. Have a great day :kiss:

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

You’re bailing because you have no actual evidence to counter mine as to why the decline in membership started 47 years ago regardless of mormons and are getting frustrated. Got it. Have a great day :kiss:

Now I understand that you don’t even understand what I am talking about. I’m glad we wasted only a few minutes of each others time this go round :p

@sblfilms

Honestly, this is how I’m reading your argument: the steady decline in the previous 47 years was irrelevant, the only contributing factor to the BSA allowing females in their organization was the loss of the mormons

My argument: regardless of the loss of the mormons, the BSA was in terrible shape and had a rapidly declining membership and was going to wind up doing this eventually out of desperation to save their declining numbers. The loss of mormons may have hastened this, but it’s not even close to the only reason.

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I’m certain that you never understood what I was talking about... so... even? :p 

No, I get it. You’re looking at the long time scale and thinking this decision is a response to a 50 year problem. I think it’s a response to a current problem. Feel free to correct my misunderstanding if you think it still exists.

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

@sblfilms

Honestly, this is how I’m reading your argument: the steady decline in the previous 47 years was irrelevant, the only contributing factor to the BSA allowing females in their organization was the loss of the mormons

My argument: regardless of the loss of the mormons, the BSA was in terrible shape and had a rapidly declining membership and was going to wind up doing this eventually out of desperation to save their declining numbers. The loss of mormons may have hastened this, but it’s not even close to the only reason.

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

No, I get it. You’re looking at the long time scale and thinking this decision is a response to a 50 year problem. I think it’s a response to a current problem. Feel free to correct my misunderstanding if you think it still exists.

See above, you were def partially misunderstanding as it sounds as though you were thinking that I didn’t feel as though the loss of mormons hastened this decision. I strongly disagree about it being decades away, though, unless there’s a statistic showing a significant increase in the already steady losses from the mormons leaving (mormons are a small percentage of the country as-is). 

I think we can both agree that this move is pure desperation, and not so much about “inclusion”, though...?

This doesn't seem like a big deal to me. I know logistacally speaking they have a lot of work to make this happen. When I was in Boy Scouts. I went to a couple of workd Jamborees and even a Scotish National Jamboree and the reset of the world it is just scouts of (Insert Country) They are all a part of the international brotherhood of scouts. I would say about 40% in attendence of these world jamborees are women. They do them every four years with different host countries like the olympics. So my first was in Korea and second was in Holland.

2 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I have no clue what the Scouts are like today, but my impression of the Scouts was that they varied greatly depending on where you were. Sure, there are some big get togethers at camps each year, but the vast majority of your time spent is with your local troop, and local troops vary as much schools. There are rich ones and poor ones, troops that are organized and those that aren't, troops that plan cool events and those that do the absolute minimum. There are troops with parents that really make it worthwhile, and others that make it into a chore. Even from year to year it might feel like a completely different experience.

My wife's experience with the girl scouts was that it was a completely worthless organization hell-bent on selling cookies and otherwise teaching girls more "classically feminine" skills like baking and sewing. I'm not sure how much that's changed or how much of that was her local chapter, but I think it's safe to say that during our childhood, the two organizations didn't have much overlap in what they did.

Both of our experiences with scouting were overall very negative, but if I had a kid I'd still look into it. Maybe the local chapter would be a really good and worthwhile.

This is a very good post except you left out one vital piece of information.  The Girl Scouts varies greatly depending on where you were.  Sure there are some big get-togethers at camps each year, but the vast majority of your time spent is with your local troop, and local GS troops vary as much as schools and greatly depends on who is the scout leader.  

What can be asserted with the boy scouts can easily be asserted with the girl scouts.  

@Chris- help me get to 8 pages

8 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

This is a very good post except you left out one vital piece of information.  The Girl Scouts varies greatly depending on where you were.  Sure there are some big get-togethers at camps each year, but the vast majority of your time spent is with your local troop, and local GS troops vary as much as schools and greatly depends on who is the scout leader.  

What can be asserted with the boy scouts can easily be asserted with the girl scouts.  

Oh, I imagine that's true. I don't have any first hand experience with the girl scouts, so I couldn't speak to that point, but it seems pretty likely.  

• 2 months later...
15 hours ago, 2user1cup said:

8000 boys abused by Scouts of America, up to 12,000+

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5cc059c1e4b01b6b3efb0e78

But yeah send your girls there - I'm different now baby I swear, I only hurt you because I love you so much

“The data demonstrated that the scouting program is safe,” she said, adding that all cases of abuse were reported to authorities and that she found no sign of a cover-up by the BSA. When it comes to the rate of sexual child abuse within the organization, she said it is less than in society as a whole.

Did you read the article?

Unless the claims in the article are false, it sounds like the BSA did an admirable job of dealing with the reality that there are a lot of predators out there looking to harm children.