In U.S., Record-Low 47% Extremely Proud to Be Americans

https://news.gallup.com/poll/236420/record-low-extremely-proud-americans.aspx

7wvafk6t-0gx5-dkq60jzg.png

8du0p-v8o022f8xhp0vtqw.png

v57m5OL.png

For me, while I'm one of the ones shouting "USA USA!" when American teams are playing internationally, the "pride" part I don't get as much since I didn't do anything to earn being an American besides being born here (it would likely be different for an immigrant who did have to work to become a citizen). I understand that when you're a minority and you've been oppressed, there's something to be said about being proud of who you are, which includes your race or orientation or religion, but ideally, I'm with less pride and more appreciation for what you are.

I guess it's like that George Carlin line: you wouldn't be proud of being 5'10", so why be prideful of how you were born as if you didn't work to achieve it? Be happy, not proud.

What I'm reading from these graphs is that the left clearly hates America! :p

Anyway... So in other words, 47% of people still haven't examined their belief about whether it makes any sense to be proud of something over which you had no control. :daydream:

1 minute ago, Nokra said:

Anyway... So in other words, 47% of people still haven't examined their belief about whether it makes any sense to be proud of something over which you had no control. :daydream:

MAGA ?

I am 100% sure that I am 0% proud to be an American. 

used to be when I thought that to some degree we were the liberal, progressive ideal in the world. The "shining city on a hill". The "bring your meek, your poor, your huddled masses".  Not overly proud, I've always been critical of America and its policies.

But since Trump? This is next level. Nope. We're an actively "shithole country" now. 

Just now, SFLUFAN said:

OLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Hey, I granted we've never achieved those ideals, but we had them. People believed in them. As I said, I've always been critical of the US. But there was a bent towards something resembling a positive direction.

Now, we're actively in a negative direction. That is a big change, even if it seems small when written out. :p 

2 hours ago, Nokra said:

You need a certain amount of blind loyalty and stupidity to keep things going.

I was fairly ashamed of this country during the Bush years, and I didn't even pay much attention to politics then.

During the Obama years I would say less ashamed would be the general feeling with brief moments of actual pride.

Under Trump it's a continuous, years long slog of constantly feeling the national equivalent of shitting your pants for all the world to see. And then.....there are the bad days.....

1 hour ago, Chairslinger said:

I was fairly ashamed of this country during the Bush years, and I didn't even pay much attention to politics then.

During the Obama years I would say less ashamed would be the general feeling with brief moments of actual pride.

Under Trump it's a continuous, years long slog of constantly feeling the national equivalent of shitting your pants for all the world to see. And then.....there are the bad days.....

Pretty much this.

7 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I am 100% sure that I am 0% proud to be an American. 

used to be when I thought that to some degree we were the liberal, progressive ideal in the world. The "shining city on a hill". The "bring your meek, your poor, your huddled masses".  Not overly proud, I've always been critical of America and its policies.

But since Trump? This is next level. Nope. We're an actively "shithole country" now. 

Can you state the years when any of this existed?

5 hours ago, Snaynay1 said:

Can you state the years when any of this existed?

When the country created laws that tried benefiting people to one degree or another. Laws that Trump is repealing or eradicating, which shows we were better of before than we are now. Did we reach the ideal I described? As I said, no, but it was bending in that general direction, and that's enough.