Avengers: Endgame Trailer and Discussion Thread

Pikachu

13 minutes ago, Jason said:

:rolleyes:

Yes, that's CLEARLY what I thought skillz was talking about, and something I was trying to include in that point. 

Lol I wasn't talking about THAT! I was more talking about what @Mercury33 said

And for the record, I've been having geeky fun conversations about this movie all weekend with friends and strangers alike... that's NOT what this board has a tendency to do. Talking about the flight speed of ravens, or why it makes no sense for bombs to drop in space is not my idea of "geeky fun". 

I haven't seen one poster complain about "the women" or "women stuff" in this movie. But I guess when you complain about one thing, this board is free to turn it into you complaining about everything, lol

Spoiler

No one complained about Wanda bodying Thanos. No one complained about Cap Marvel manhandling Thanos (twice). No one complained about Nebula being there. No one complained about Widow beating up Hawkeye. No one complained about evil Gamora showing up at the end. No one complained about Thor's mother being able to see through him and know he wasn't her at-present son. No one complained about Peggy. And to the contrary, people did complain about Sif and Kate not being in the movie...

But you know, none of that counts with D1P cuz calling out the one lousy filmed moment makes you a transparent sexist who hates everything not talked about, haha

So keep barking at the wind you naysayers. Nothing's there and it's very amusing to watch posters fuel their hate with this made up gender nonsense :lol:

1 hour ago, Reputator said:

I should mention that none of this detracts at all from my enjoyment of the movie. Not even a bit. I'm just expressing where my mind has wandered to since seeing it.

This...and as a writer I have I say can't help that a part of my mind is always analyzing story makeup.

Spoiler

especially when it comes to time travel stories. I have a love/hate relationship with them. Don't even get me started on Reese being John's father in Terminator.

For almost all movies you have to have a certain level of suspension of disbelief, but that doesn't mean something can't happen that still pushes the boundaries/rules that the storyteller has set up. But as Reputator said, it doesn't necessarily detract or make it impossible for me to enjoy a movie.

34 minutes ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

I haven't seen one poster complain about "the women" or "women stuff" in this movie. But I guess when you complain about one thing, this board is free to turn it into you complaining about everything, lol

Hide contents

No one complained about Wanda bodying Thanos. No one complained about Cap Marvel manhandling Thanos (twice). No one complained about Nebula being there. No one complained about Widow beating up Hawkeye. No one complained about evil Gamora showing up at the end. No one complained about Thor's mother being able to see through him and know he wasn't her at-present son. No one complained about Peggy. And to the contrary, people did complain about Sif and Kate not being in the movie...

But you know, none of that counts with D1P cuz calling out the one lousy filmed moment makes you a transparent sexist who hates everything not talked about, haha

So keep barking at the wind you naysayers. Nothing's there and it's very amusing to watch posters fuel their hate with this made up gender nonsense :lol:

TF??? Did you just cherry pick a few posts to respond to? Smh

29 minutes ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

Hide contents

I can agree with just about all your points except....

Spoiler

I don't think we can't really call her evil Gamora. She wasn't evil. She was the original Gamora from when GoTG happened. She wasn't evil then, merely just focused more on herself than others. She hated Thanos even back and as we know she never intended to deliver the power stone to Ronin, never mind deliver it to Thanos.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jason said:

Reveal hidden contents

Also, sorry if I'm repeating something I saw here, I can't remember if I saw any of this on here or on reddit and I'm not opening every single spoiler tag to make sure

Reveal hidden contents

I was wondering that about the stones. If them being gone causes issues, then aren’t they tucked anyways because Thanos destroyed their stones?

also him being involved with Peggy will cause a branch because she had her own family. Steve met her granddaughter. 

3 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

100% this. Given the sheer amount of fuckery, serendipity, happenstance, coincidence, etc., that propel this entire two movie saga, calling out that scene specifically is the weakest of sauces.

EDIT - more spoilery context

Hide contents

Calling out that scene as contrived or convenient or whatever not long after:

1) Cap is an instant fucking wizard with Mjolnir, forget that Odin specifically said Mjornir focused Thor’s lighting powers and wasn’t the source of them Cap can just use it to call lightning

2) Literally every dusted character comes back at the most convenient moment possible

3) Tony and Cap just guess about the location of the tesseract and they’re totally right! And they get to see their past loved ones too! There’s Pym particles in a building run by Shield even though Hank specifically said he spent his life trying to keep them away from Howard!

Give me a break.

More thoughts later after I recover from renal failure. But it’s really good.

The spell Odin put on Mjolnir is “Whoever so holds this hammer, if they be worthy, shall poses the power of Thor. 

That’s why he can use lightning.

50 minutes ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

Reveal hidden contents

I have seen people complain about Captain Marvel hanging toe to toe with Thanos, who happened to be wearing a 6 stone gauntlet. They forget it took just the power stone to send her flying. But yeah, she punched him a few times. OMG TOO OP. MCU RUINED.    

5 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I'm sure the reaction would have been the same if it were all men in that scene. Surely. 

Spoiler

Can't speak for everyone, but had it been all the guys coming together in the same fashion then yes my reaction would have been the same, that it felt out of place and forced. Look I get why they did it, and indeed it got a big pop from audience I saw it with, as intended, but to me it felt forced and out of place. I have zero issue with female heroes (super or otherwise) hell the vast majority of my books feature female protagonists. It just felt forced to me. As I pointed out in a much earlier post, it wasn't as if they hadn't showcased the female team members being every bit as badass as the guys. 

• Like 1

Just got back from seeing it. 

Spoiler

The space magic stuff, Captain America using Thor's hammer, and most of the time travel stuff I'm ok enough with, but was there an explanation for why past Nebula's cyborg device thingy suddenly had a recording from future Nebula out of fucking nowhere?  

6 minutes ago, fuckle85 said:

some stuff that might be spoilers to some 

might want to edit and put that post in a spoiler box :p like everyone else...this is the redacted thread ;) 

and yes there was an explanation 

Spoiler

both of their minds share/are connected to a single network. I believe it was 'squidward' who explained it to Thanos

So I saw it and I REALLY liked it. Some broad strokes stuff before going into the specifics.

Spoiler

I can't believe this movie worked at all? It shouldn't have. Thinking back on it, there's an awful lot that doesn't really make much sense at all (not 'plot hole' stuff and other trivialities about the cogs in the whole thing) and and so many times where it really could have just shit the bed, but it didn't. I think it was GoldenTongue in here that said they really leaned into the rule of cool for the whole affair, and I'd agree. It's incredible to see that stretched over three hours of superhero pew pew pew and have almost all of it... work. Let alone deliver feel after feel along with generally competent action to boot.

About the emotions in the whole thing.

Spoiler

It seems clear to me that they were chasing feels and it's impressive how that came together. It works even when it shouldn't, like... we're treading some REALLY familiar ground with Thor, even though it's behind a beer belly, now. If you'd told me post, say, Thor 2 or even Infinity War that one of the more touching scenes in this would be Thor talking to his mother about needing to grow up and be a hero in response to failure I'd have been really worried that we'd be getting into something shitty. But that happened and... it worked. I don't get it. After Guardians 2 if you told me that Nebula would be one of the more compelling characters we'd see in Endgame, and that we'd have a bit more new ground to tread on with respect to her relationship with her sister, the Avengers, Iron Man... that would have been a hard sell. And it worked. Scott and older Cassie, Tony and his dad, Tony seeing Peter coming back. It all came together.

In fact, there are only 2 moments I thought aimed for feels and missed the mark.

Tony deciding to go after the whole time travel problem after seeing that photo of Peter. I get it... he feels bad. And the audience loves Spider-Man. But I dunno... I feel like after the truly touching moments with him and his daughter, seeing what's actually at stake for him. THAT SPECIFICALLY being the catalyst for putting the band back together seemed a little much. I wasn't sold. A minor beef. What's harder for me to buy into is Bucky letting Sam talk to old Cap first. Like... what the hell was that? Sam is rad and there's a lot of work that went into Steve and Sam bonding in Winter Soldier especially. But it chafes that the last moment we see with Cap and Bucky is Bucky letting someone else have that moment with Steve.

I can't bring myself to care too much given how good everything else that's there is and the ACTUAL ending with Cap was great. But that was weird.

I've got more to write up, but I gotta chew on it a bit more.

58 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Reveal hidden contents

I was wondering that about the stones. If them being gone causes issues, then aren’t they tucked anyways because Thanos destroyed their stones?

also him being involved with Peggy will cause a branch because she had her own family. Steve met her granddaughter. 

Reveal hidden contents

The spell Odin put on Mjolnir is “Whoever so holds this hammer, if they be worthy, shall poses the power of Thor. 

That’s why he can use lightning.

I know, my main thrust is that if someone is looking at THAT SCENE and calling it out for it being convenient in a movie that is almost wholly constructed of conveniences, it's hard not to leap to a specific conclusion.

7 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

As a comic geek I marked hard for 

Hide contents

Cap not only picking up the hammer finally but then the shot of him summoning the lightning. 

And of course finally getting the "avengers assemble" line

This was truly something that cant ever be done again I feel like

Spoiler

the “Avengers Assemble” felt muted.. more like a statement and not the big battlecry i expected...   “on your left” was great though

3 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

I can agree with just about all your points except....

Hide contents

I don't think we can't really call her evil Gamora. She wasn't evil. She was the original Gamora from when GoTG happened. She wasn't evil then, merely just focused more on herself than others. She hated Thanos even back and as we know she never intended to deliver the power stone to Ronin, never mind deliver it to Thanos.

Spoiler

I was gonna go with  Nega-Gamora, but then I settled with with evil :p

Edit: Oh right, and....

spacer.png

spacer.png

Loser's face is a loser's face, lol

i just came back and I have to say...I have mixed feelings. The movie really good, but it is not clear cut my favorite movie of the MCU. 

I think the first act of the movie has way too much exposition. Just too much back and forth over a single concept. 

The movies gets progressively better and the final resolution scenes are among the best in comic book history. 

A lot of things I like and don't like:

Spoiler

Like:

-The opening with Hawkeye. Gut punch right off the bat. 

-Black Widow and Cap really showing emotions and their human side.

-The way they handled Stark and his journey to become someone bigger than himself and seeing his dad.

-Black Widow and Hawkeye's relationship and their fight to sacrifice for each other. Brilliantly done. 

-Captain America's finale and him getting to live his life with Peggy. Great ending.

-Thor figuring out that he just wants to be who he wants to be rather than living up to expectations. Great character arc. 

-Just the entire finale with the funeral and the entire family together.

-Thor and Quill bantering again at the end.

-Overall, a satisfying ending.

Dislike:

-The first hour or so has so much exposition. So much about time travel and what is and is not possible. The movie took a while to get going. And I don't buy that Stark or Banner didn't figure out that quantum time travel is possible after 5 years. 

-Yet again, the finale is a army battling an army. I am just tired of it. How many times are they going to do this same battle with just more epic scale? i was really hoping for something different.

-Still don't buy why Strange didn't use the time stone in Infinity War and said "this is the only way."

-The way they handled Captain Marvel, Strange, and Wanda. Just too convenient. Captain Marvel shows up whenever she wants to or need to (plot wise) but not when she could be at her most useful. What the hell was Strange doing in the final battle? They still can't write any consistency with Wanda's powers. In Civil War, she could have stopped the airport fight by herself but didn't. In Infinity War, she displayed flashes of her domination but only in specific moments. And now she can handled Thanos by herself. Just wildly inconsistent on how she choose to use her powers.

-The scene with Thor and his mom. I didn't find that interaction interesting or necessary. 

3 hours ago, fuckle85 said:

Just got back from seeing it. 

Reveal hidden contents

My problem is more:

Spoiler

Would the future Nebula realized this and warn the group before going back in time?

14 minutes ago, Dragonseeker said:

i just came back and I have to say...I have mixed feelings. The movie really good, but it is not clear cut my favorite movie of the MCU. 

I think the first act of the movie has way too much exposition. Just too much back and forth over a single concept. 

The movies gets progressively better and the final resolution scenes are among the best in comic book history. 

A lot of things I like and don't like:

Hide contents

Like:

-The opening with Hawkeye. Gut punch right off the bat. 

-Black Widow and Cap really showing emotions and their human side.

-The way they handled Stark and his journey to become someone bigger than himself and seeing his dad.

-Black Widow and Hawkeye's relationship and their fight to sacrifice for each other. Brilliantly done. 

-Captain America's finale and him getting to live his life with Peggy. Great ending.

-Thor figuring out that he just wants to be who he wants to be rather than living up to expectations. Great character arc. 

-Just the entire finale with the funeral and the entire family together.

-Thor and Quill bantering again at the end.

-Overall, a satisfying ending.

Dislike:

-The first hour or so has so much exposition. So much about time travel and what is and is not possible. The movie took a while to get going. And I don't buy that Stark or Banner didn't figure out that quantum time travel is possible after 5 years. 

-Yet again, the finale is a army battling an army. I am just tired of it. How many times are they going to do this same battle with just more epic scale? i was really hoping for something different.

-Still don't buy why Strange didn't use the time stone in Infinity War and said "this is the only way."

-The way they handled Captain Marvel, Strange, and Wanda. Just too convenient. Captain Marvel shows up whenever she wants to or need to (plot wise) but not when she could be at her most useful. What the hell was Strange doing in the final battle? They still can't write any consistency with Wanda's powers. In Civil War, she could have stopped the airport fight by herself but didn't. In Infinity War, she displayed flashes of her domination but only in specific moments. And now she can handled Thanos by herself. Just wildly inconsistent on how she choose to use her powers.

-The scene with Thor and his mom. I didn't find that interaction interesting or necessary. 

Spoiler

-The plot conveniences were a little eye-brow raising, but not bad. No one knew how to get the gems themselves, so it's a good thing it wasn't Rocket and Thor going after the soul gem and instead was Widow and Hawk, lol

-Tony was wounded, and Strange knew that Tony needed to die to save the universe. If Strange didn't hand over the gem right away, Thanos would have killed Tony and gotten the time gem anyways and that would be the end. It may not be the reason you want, but it's the reason they used.

-Captain Marvel had a good moment where the audience was reminded that this problem wasn't just on Earth, and that she was busy with all the other planets in the galaxy. It was a decent statement that made sense for her not being there and kinda reminded you that this isn't just Earth's problem. Yea, her being able to body everyone would have stopped this war from happening if she was there the whole time. But then we wouldn't have this movie =) Everything else for that final battle (Strange not doing a whole lot, etc) can be chalked up to that final fight having to be Tony's. The Wanda power scene wasn't bad. Because they showed her in Civil War being able to fuck with Vision and his gem, her messing with Thanos wasn't so out of place imo. Clearly in Infinity War it shows that she just can't handle non 1-on-1 fights, lol

4 minutes ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I think Nebula knew how to get the soul stone or at least a good idea since in IW she comments about how he got the stone but Gamora wasn’t with him. Probably best not to bring it up to them though because it would just complicate the mission even more  

36 minutes ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

Hide contents

-The plot conveniences were a little eye-brow raising, but not bad. No one knew how to get the gems themselves, so it's a good thing it wasn't Rocket and Thor going after the soul gem and instead was Widow and Hawk, lol

-Tony was wounded, and Strange knew that Tony needed to die to save the universe. If Strange didn't hand over the gem right away, Thanos would have killed Tony and gotten the time gem anyways and that would be the end. It may not be the reason you want, but it's the reason they used.

-Captain Marvel had a good moment where the audience was reminded that this problem wasn't just on Earth, and that she was busy with all the other planets in the galaxy. It was a decent statement that made sense for her not being there and kinda reminded you that this isn't just Earth's problem. Yea, her being able to body everyone would have stopped this war from happening if she was there the whole time. But then we wouldn't have this movie =) Everything else for that final battle (Strange not doing a whole lot, etc) can be chalked up to that final fight having to be Tony's. The Wanda power scene wasn't bad. Because they showed her in Civil War being able to fuck with Vision and his gem, her messing with Thanos wasn't so out of place imo. Clearly in Infinity War it shows that she just can't handle non 1-on-1 fights, lol

Spoiler

-I don't mind Nebula not bringing this up because she probably didn't want to complicate the mission as someone said. But it is kind of curious how much she knew about the Hawkeye/Widow relationship.

-As for the gem, I get that. But I don't get why he didn't use the Time Gem to beat Thanos in the first place so Stark wouldn't have to even have to do this? I guess he saw that he wouldn't win? I am ok with this but I could think of like a million things he could go back in time and do like making sure Quill didn't get emotional during their glove extraction attempt. I mean, why even fight at all and just hand Thanos the gem in Infinity War?  It is just one of those buy in scenarios that I am not sure if I brought. 

-Needing a movie isn't an excuse to use a character as plot device and nothing else. She basically showed up out of nowhere and rescued Stark from space. Showed up in the end and destroyed Thanos' ship. And fought Thanos. How many lines did she have? Like 4? She was barely a character. With Wanda, in Civil War, she was able to fuck with Vision. But that was the problem. During the airport fight, she was just another projection/flight girl who took part. Wildly inconsistent. Then in Infinity War, she could have took over any time, but only did so 10% of the battle. In Endgame, the final battle, she turned into a projection/flight girl again, until she fought Thanos one on one. Then she is a killer. The way they handled her powers just didn't have any type of logical consistency to me. 

7 minutes ago, Dragonseeker said:
  Hide contents

-I don't mind Nebula not bringing this up because she probably didn't want to complicate the mission as someone said. But it is kind of curious how much she knew about the Hawkeye/Widow relationship.

-As for the gem, I get that. But I don't get why he didn't use the Time Gem to beat Thanos in the first place so Stark wouldn't have to even have to do this? I guess he saw that he wouldn't win? I am ok with this but I could think of like a million things he could go back in time and do like making sure Quill didn't get emotional during their glove extraction attempt. I mean, why even fight at all and just hand Thanos the gem in Infinity War?  It is just one of those buy in scenarios that I am not sure if I brought. 

-Needing a movie isn't an excuse to use a character as plot device and nothing else. She basically showed up out of nowhere and rescued Stark from space. Showed up in the end and destroyed Thanos' ship. And fought Thanos. How many lines did she have? Like 4? She was barely a character. With Wanda, in Civil War, she was able to fuck with Vision. But that was the problem. During the airport fight, she was just another projection/flight girl who took part. Wildly inconsistent. Then in Infinity War, she could have took over any time, but only did so 10% of the battle. In Endgame, the final battle, she turned into a projection/flight girl again, until she fought Thanos one on one. Then she is a killer. The way they handled her powers just didn't have any type of logical consistency to me. 

you're assuming that stopping quill keeps Thanos from getting the gauntlet anyway

9 minutes ago, Dragonseeker said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Just imagine that characters like Wanda and Carol are like Goku, who loves to fuck around feeling enemies out to the point where he winds up letting his guard down, instead of just one-shotting them right out the gate like he's clearly capable of. :p

11 minutes ago, Jason said:

Hide contents

Just imagine that characters like Wanda and Carol are like Goku, who loves to fuck around feeling enemies out to the point where he winds up letting his guard down, instead of just one-shotting them right out the gate like he's clearly capable of. :p

Carol is Gandalfs eagles

Until rogue kills her :pray:

18 minutes ago, 2user1cup said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Yeah I know. My point is, I don't buy that with the million things you can do with time travel, you can't stop Thanos especially since they use time travel to defeat him this time. Also, Thanos himself used the time stone to recover Vision's gem. I mean, the writers are asking me to buy in and that is fine, but it's just a hard sell for me. 

4 minutes ago, Dragonseeker said:

What does everyone think about:

Hide contents

Not giving black widow a memorial? They honor Tony Stark but didn't do anything for BW in the end. Is that just because of politics (she is a spy, etc.)?

my wife said everything is ok because of her, and they didn't do right by her