The Kavanaugh Confirmation Charade Thread

22 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

And because this probably didn't shift the dial, I'd have to chalk it up as a "win" for the GOP.

I have to say, I pretty much completely disagree with your analysis in this thread. Both earlier and now.

1. You said Kavanaugh's performance was for an audience of one. I don't think that makes any sense, and plays into the defeatist myth that "nothing matters" in the age of Trump. Trump dropping support is by far the least likely way of him going down, so playing to him like he is a Fox News pundit is pointless. Brett should have been playing to an audience of two. Murkowski and Collins.

2. If he is confirmed, seeing that as a win for the GOP I think means you were taken in by the liberal fantasy that this was ever about preventing the appointment of a conservative judge as the 5th swing vote. I see some liberals fighting Kavanaugh with the single minded ferocity that suggests they think stopping Kavanaugh stops the GOP takeover of the court.

If you accept that this was never about that, then you are left with today being mostly a victory. As a simple matter of morality, a victim was allowed to stand up and tell her story and in the pragmatic sense if they ram through Brett after today it's likely to hurt them even more in November.

If you have already accepted that the GOP will get some conservative judge on the court in the next 3 months or so no matter what, I am not really sure what the GOP won today. And if you hadn't already accepted that before today, I don't think you were being very realistic.

14 minutes ago, Amazatron said:

I'm prepared to be utterly disgusted tomorrow.

Tomorrow is passing him out of Committee, right?

Unless things are even worse for Brett than we thought, he should get through because the only possible hurdle we know if there is Flake. I think the real test comes during the floor vote.

11 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I'd like to think there's some semblance of a conscience left in Murkowski and Collins.

While there are always more political fights to be had down the line, and it's totally plausible we'll be back at the Collins door in a year to beg her to stop whatever horrible healthcare laws the GOP has dreamed up, I think this vote pretty much answers that question for these two. 

9 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

I have to say, I pretty much completely disagree with your analysis in this thread. Both earlier and now.

1. You said Kavanaugh's performance was for an audience of one. I don't think that makes any sense, and plays into the defeatist myth that "nothing matters" in the age of Trump. Trump dropping support is by far the least likely way of him going down, so playing to him like he is a Fox News pundit is pointless. Brett should have been playing to an audience of two. Murkowski and Collins.

2. If he is confirmed, seeing that as a win for the GOP I think means you were taken in by the liberal fantasy that this was ever about preventing the appointment of a conservative judge as the 5th swing vote. I see some liberals fighting Kavanaugh with the single minded ferocity that suggests they think stopping Kavanaugh stops the GOP takeover of the court.

If you accept that this was never about that, then you are left with today being mostly a victory. As a simple matter of morality, a victim was allowed to stand up and tell her story and in the pragmatic sense if they ram through Brett after today it's likely to hurt them even more in November.

If you have already accepted that the GOP will get some conservative judge on the court in the next 3 months or so no matter what, I am not really sure what the GOP won today. And if you hadn't already accepted that before today, I don't think you were being very realistic.

When have I ever been taken by "liberal fantasies"?

Alright, I'll concede that it was an audience of "two".  However, I really do believe that nothing that occurred here today will effect the votes of Murkowski and Collins - their votes will ultimately come down to ideology rather than today's events.  Just as they would have 10 days ago.

I was under no illusions that a conservative would be getting that seat - I think you know that I'm not naive :p   Based on my observations, the GOP senators didn't completely fall on their faces -- and because Kavanaugh's "righteous anger" does come off as an "innocent man wrongly accused" -- that is what I'm basing my evaluations of a GOP "win" on.

Kavanaugh did exactly what he needed to do for the people who actually matter in this process, and he gave himself cultural cover in a society that still believes womens be lyin’. I think Collins and Murkowski would have been more likely to go against Kavanaugh if holding the Senate was more of a lock. But the clock is ticking.

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

I don't think an apology was necessary, assuming you meant Republican politicians complicit in this. I think Wade would agree that violence is the ultimate recourse, and the death of politicians is sometimes okay for the good of the population. The ends absolutely do justify the means if it means the ends are fairness, peace, and normalcy. Obviously one person gunning down a politician won't bring that, but sometimes a good political purge is what a political class needs to bring it into line. Would anyone here actually hesitate of some alien offered them a button to press that would instantly kill Trump, Kavanaugh, Graham, and Hatch by brain aneurysm?

In the case of telling that to a fellow D1P member her it is worth the apology.  Even if it was someone who I didn't like in this community, I wouldn't want to impose that kind of action to anyone here, despite my previous demeanor/posts say otherwise.  So yes, I do believe apologizing to the member I posted was necessary.  That is the first part

The original implication was that I would prefer incapacitating members of the GOP/Trump's cabinet from political power.  But honestly in the case of harming someone for that fantasy I wouldn't do it.  Maybe I'm a coward or I have some significant odd moral consciousness, but if the event I willingly harm someone it wouldn't bring peace to me. It's easy for me to say "fuck Trump fuck Pence fuck the GOP I will be glad to shoot them if they were in front of me," but the act of killing?  Unless I lost my own human empathy, having blood on my own hands would hurt me more. 

I still want to believe that there's a possibility that humans as a species can and will unite against a greater evil but right now I just don't see how that can happen at the moment.  A lot of people are too complacent in not getting themselves hurt. So yeah, I'm a fucking coward.

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

Yeah, Bob.

If only someone conducted a more thorough investigation where other witnesses were put under oath.

This point needs to be driven through the heart of every shameless GOP senator that makes it. 

There was no corroborating evidence presented today because the GOP would not allow it to be.