5,200 active-duty soldiers to be deployed along Mexican border to stop caravan.

I think this is a better idea than a fucking wall.  My idea is that there should be a lookout tower, spaced every 1 mile along the border.  Each post would be manned with unarmed military members who would radio into border patrol (or local law enforcement) to interdict border crossers and take appropriate action.  All enlisted would be required to perform a 3 month stint on the border during their initial enlistment, and officers at one point in their careers.  

I watched the DOD DHS press conference:

Posse Comitatus has not been waived, DoD will be in a supporting role not doing law enforcement. Units being deployed include Engineering, Command and Control, Medical, and Aviation. There are Military Police units but I'm guessing that's just security. They'll be armed but I'm guessing with very tight Rules of Engagement. Mattis isn't going to let this get out of hand. 

It's bullshit. Like putting the National Guard in airports after 9/11. 

17 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

I think this is a better idea than a fucking wall.  My idea is that there should be a lookout tower, spaced every 1 mile along the border.  Each post would be manned with unarmed military members who would radio into border patrol (or local law enforcement) to interdict border crossers and take appropriate action.  All enlisted would be required to perform a 3 month stint on the border during their initial enlistment, and officers at one point in their careers.  

Still sounds like a giant waste of money. 

If we have anything resembling "open borders", then it should be through reciprocal open border agreements, similar to free trade agreements. That means that Americans should be able to travel freely into Mexico or any nation in Central America that has an agreement with us, live there, start businesses, and work, but this doesn't imply citizenship either way. However, I still think we should have borders for nations that do not have an agreement with us. I don't think @mclumber1's idea is all that bad. It's beats a wall. Ultimately it would be nice to have an open border agreement with most nations that are friendly to us and have similar cultures, but I do not favor just letting anyone across the border without some sort of enforcement mechanism in place and an agreed upon form of identification per the agreement we make.

We should have such an agreement with the EU, Japan, South Korea, Australia, NZ, Canada, etc. in addition to our Latin American friends that want to make deals with us. 

Guys they won't be armed, they literally can't do anything but call border patrol, the caravan is going to turn themselves in and claim asylum, and they're a month away, its a stunt for the mid terms to whip up the derps.  Between this and the birthright stupidity its clear he knows they're in deep doo doo.

31 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Guys they won't be armed, they literally can't do anything but call border patrol, the caravan is going to turn themselves in and claim asylum, and they're a month away, its a stunt for the mid terms to whip up the derps.

but whose stunt?

All I hear is the right convinced this is funded by Soros. How does that even make sense? Right before the midterms when Trump has all his snowflake followers whip into a frenzy over brown people...sending a giant caravan does what exactly? Want them to suddenly vote straight-ticket democrat? 

1 minute ago, atom631 said:

but whose stunt?

All I hear is the right convinced this is funded by Soros. How does that even make sense? Right before the midterms when Trump has all his snowflake followers whip into a frenzy over brown people...sending a giant caravan does what exactly? Want them to suddenly vote straight-ticket democrat? 

Fear is all the right has.

40 minutes ago, atom631 said:

but whose stunt?

The caravan is destroy (white) America, by globalist cosmopolitians.

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The caravan is destroy (white) America, by globalist cosmopolitians.

exactly. thats how the right is positioning it. makes zero sense for democrats to have anything to do with this right when they are trying to take power back. its just proving the right's point that America is under attack by non-whites. 

1 hour ago, atom631 said:

but whose stunt?

It made even less sense when, last week, the Dems created the mail bomb thing to distract from the caravan thing....even though supposedly the Dems created the caravan in the first place.

You know something really annoying about Republicans? When they try to act like they were always against, or came around, to being against the Iraq War.

Fuck any Republican who pretends like they know Iraq was wrong, but then continues to fall for the GOP's same, tired, Ebola screaming, caravan pushing fearing mongering over and over and over.

Why do we need to protect our borders further from migrants seeking asylum? They're going to enter a proper port of call and request asylum. That's it. That's what the caravan will be doing. Then we will process them and weed out the few "bad" ones. 

Most undocumented immigrants fly in (something like 80% of all "illegal" immigrants), they don't cross the border, and then stay after their visas, etc. expire. Are we gonna have surface to air missiles ready for the planes that bring them (but also other people) in? How will you know which people will let their visas lapse and stay and those who won't?

But, sure. Let's keep wasting our time on covering the border with 5,200 troops when we know the caravan isn't crossing the border at all but will be entering in a port of call. 

Christ this thread is stupid, almost as dumb as the idea of positioning troops on a border to stop a caravan that will not be where they are.