Let's check-in with the Atlantic Ocean's temperature on this last day of February, shall we?

Oh...oh dear...

WWW.VOX.COM

The Atlantic Ocean is freakishly warm right now. Scientists are sounding the alarm.

If you were to dip your toes into the middle of the North Atlantic — say, somewhere between South Carolina and Spain — the water would feel frigid. You definitely wouldn’t want to swim. It’s winter.

Yet that water would, in fact, be very warm, relatively speaking. Right now, the North Atlantic ocean is, on average, warmer than any other time on record, running about 2 degrees Fahrenheit hotter than the average temperature over the last three decades.

To understand just how unusual this is, take a look at the chart below. The wave of squiggly lines represents the sea surface temperature, averaged across the North Atlantic, from 1981 to now; each squiggle is a different year.

SST.jpg

The thick orangey-red line that runs the length of the chart and hovers above nearly all the others is from 2023. The North Atlantic started breaking heat temperature records in March of last year.

Even more alarming is the departure that the new, shorter line from 2024 represents. It’s far above the rest, indicating this extreme, anomalous increase has continued into this year.

“It’s significantly warmer than it ever has been for this time of year,” Brian McNoldy, a climate researcher at the University of Miami’s Rosenstiel School, told Vox. “This is deeply troubling,” he recently wrote on X.

All this heat is not only a problem for marine ecosystems today, scientists say. It’s also a warning of what could come — including what could put human life in harm’s way.

• Sad 1

WWW.NYTIMES.COM

“It’s like an omen of the future.”

From his office at the University of Miami, Brian McNoldy, an expert in hurricane formation, is tracking the latest temperature data from the North Atlantic with a mixture of concern and bewilderment.

For the past year, oceans around the world have been substantially warmer than usual. Last month was the hottest January on record in the world’s oceans, and temperatures have continued to rise since then. The heat wave has been especially pronounced in the North Atlantic.

“The North Atlantic has been record-breakingly warm for almost a year now,” McNoldy said. “It’s just astonishing. Like, it doesn’t seem real.”

Across the unusually warm Atlantic, in Cambridge, England, Rob Larter, a marine scientist who tracks polar ice levels, is equally perplexed.

“It’s quite scary, partly because I’m not hearing any scientists that have a convincing explanation of why it is we’ve got such a departure,” he said. “We’re used to having a fairly good handle on things. But the impression at the moment is that things have gone further and faster than we expected. That’s an uncomfortable place as a scientist to be.”

Spin the globe to the south, and the situation is similarly dire.

“The sea ice around the Antarctic is just not growing,” said Matthew England, a professor at the University of New South Wales who studies ocean currents. “The temperature’s just going off the charts. It’s like an omen of the future.”

• Sicko 1

1 hour ago, TUFKAK said:

It’s snowing in California right now. Check mate.

A buddy of mine's mining company that he works for said today that his company was warned to not have workers on site by NWS Reno as they could potentially get 20 feet of snow at the mine. 

In town itself we just entered the High Wind Warning windows and seen some decent gusts. We were warned that we could see 70mph winds which means the stretch of highway going North out of town could see 100+ MPH winds. Snow and whatnot isn't suppose to start here until Saturday morning. 

• Shocked 3

I clicked on this thread expecting good news!

These climate change articles should really all be in one thread. Not that we probably shouldn't all be aware of the inexorable driving off the cliff in a drag racer that this planet has become, but for some of us the magnitude + helplessness of this crisis we face does nothing good for our mental health.

• Hugs 1

Man I wish I could take some video and post it, but I'm at work and can't. But it currently sounds like a freight train out here. I am going to have to brave going out in it to check on the windows of my car, to see if they are blown out. 

1 hour ago, Littleronin said:

Man I wish I could take some video and post it, but I'm at work and can't. But it currently sounds like a freight train out here. I am going to have to brave going out in it to check on the windows of my car, to see if they are blown out. 

The "freight train" noise of the wind is exactly what experiencing the eye wall of a hurricane is like.

• True 1

27 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The "freight train" noise of the wind is exactly what experiencing the eye wall of a hurricane is like.

In town we don't normally get that sound during the high wind times. The facility I work at is about 5 miles South and about 1000ft higher in elevation  with nothing around it except the wind coming off 8000-9000 foot mountains. We are currently losing our fence line (sounds like a maintenance issue) and we are about 5 hours from the start of the worst winds. Going outside in it immediately knocks the breathe out of you. 

Side note, just looking at the various gauge in the area. One out by the lake here registered 105mph about 45 minutes ago. It looks like the truckers have actually decided not to push through, as there hasn't been reports of rollovers yet. 

• Shocked 1

15 hours ago, Ominous said:

70 something to 20 something in 24 hours with wild winds and a tornado. Totally normal for Michigan in February... 

I'm in northern Indiana (work in Fort Wayne) and on my way home the other night it was about 70 and thunderstorms with hail... woke up to about 26 with snow :epilepsy:

• Hugs 1

48 minutes ago, BasemntDweller2 said:

What if.......

we just move the orange and red line in that graph to be in line with the rest of the squiggly lines?

Would that fix global warming? 

I definitely believe that this is certainly worth consideration!

• Haha 1
  • True 1

10 hours ago, Littleronin said:

Here is a snapshot from my weather station at the house of the winds since the warning started. It was extended around 5pm for an extra day. 

winds22924.png

What weather station do you have?  This is really cool!

@Littleronin - wind gusts at the highest elevations of the Sierra Nevada have been clocked at the equivalent of a Category 4 hurricane.

WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

With snow falling two to four inches an hour, travel is life-threatening and impossible, and portions of the highly-traveled I-80 will likely close for days. 

A powerful blizzard is underway in the Sierra Nevada and forecast to bring relentless snow over the next two days, with wind gusts already clocking 145 mph at the highest peaks in the Sierra and creating dangerous white-out conditions. 

This is the biggest snowstorm for the Sierra season, with blizzard warnings active for the Sierra Nevada and parts of eastern Nevada.

Heavy snow is already falling with areas are forecast to pick up between five to 10 feet of snow, and localized areas up to 12 feet. 

• Shocked 1