Update (04/29): Paramount CEO to be removed as merger agreement with Skydance Entertainment advances

CORDCUTTERSNEWS.COM

Pramount+ and Peacock have reportedly started talks to merge into a single streaming, according to a report from The Wall Street Journal. According to that report, Comcast and Paramount recently met to look at options to possibly merge their streaming services into a single streaming service, among other options. This would bring Paramount’s and NBCUniversal’s […]

Pramount+ and Peacock have reportedly started talks to merge into a single streaming, according to a report from The Wall Street Journal.

According to that report, Comcast and Paramount recently met to look at options to possibly merge their streaming services into a single streaming service, among other options. This would bring Paramount’s and NBCUniversal’s content under a single streaming app.

Details are still thin. No pricing, naming, or other details have been decided at this time. At this time, neither company has made any formal announcement about the talks.

Paramount+ had 63 million subscribers at the end of the 3rd quarter of 2023. Peacock recently announced that it hit 31 million subscribers paying for the service. Some subscribers pay for both but merging together will help the services compete with larger services like Max and Disney+.

Both services are still struggling to turn a profit. Paramount+ is expected to become profitable by the end of 2025. No timeline is known for when Peacock will become profitable. Merging the services could also help them reach profitability sooner.

This is the best possible course of action for these two services and perhaps a few others as well.

• Like 1

Wow, so spIitting off their own service for their own content has resulted in having to merge services and content again. I love how all these companies that tried to take the ball and go home are now being forced to bring the ball back.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I look forward to a completely consolidation service called 

Consolidated

Accessible 

Bigdata

Licensed

Entertainment

:sun:

I love how I cut cable just to basically have cable with all the different services I use. You gotta be ballin these days to still pay for cable and all your sub services too. 

• True 1

19 minutes ago, Jason said:

I suppose anything is better than Zaslav getting his hands on Paramount.

18 minutes ago, Jason said:

I wonder how long until it takes until I'm monkey pawing that comment. 

Probably already took place between those 2 posts.

• True 1

WWW.THEVERGE.COM

Paramount Plus and Peacock could be the next bundled streaming services.

In Comcast’s case it may make sense. Both Paramount Plus and Peacock have been working hard to court subscribers in order to further solidify their respective statuses as lasting players in the streaming space. According to a new report, the platforms’ parent companies could be considering a unique partnership.

The Wall Street Journal reports that Comcast and Paramount have been in recent talks about a potential streaming partnership that could see Paramount Plus and Peacock being offered to subscribers together as a package deal. Along with making access to the two platforms comparatively cheaper than buying separate subscriptions, the partnership would help Comcast and Paramount “produce significant cost savings — from spending on programming to marketing.”

12 hours ago, Reputator said:

Wow, so spIitting off their own service for their own content has resulted in having to merge services and content again. I love how all these companies that tried to take the ball and go home are now being forced to bring the ball back.

What did they split off from?

Just now, Remarkableriots said:

Do you have a link to Star Trek Discovery and Strange New Worlds coming to Netflix?

Is English hard for you? I said "at this rate" you'll be able to watch those shows on Netflix. Meaning at the rate of re-consolidation, it will probably be a moot point.

• Guillotine 1

It probably would be more cost effective for them anyway. Fund it, put it on Netflix. They don't have to worry about hosting it.

Do you have proof that because Paramount+ exists that they would have never made the show?

It is more like CBS felt that new Star Trek shows aren't popular enough to put on TV so they made it to put on streaming services instead. But they could have made the same decision if it was their streaming service or someone else's.

2 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

What did they split off from?

In Peacock’s case, Hulu. Some shows are still available but they’re becoming fewer and fewer.

Sure, we have and get “exclusive” shows to the platforms by having unique streaming services, but without having enough subscribers they become unjustifiable regardless, whereas they could’ve done a joint-venture with Netflix or Hulu as Disney once did with Netflix and the Marvel shows, and NBC did with Netflix and The Good Place.

I have Peacock and it's decent.  Paramount+ is one of those services that has a couple shows I want to watch but not enough for me to justify a sub.  I'd be jazzed if they combo'd with Peacock because hopefully the combo price would justify picking it up so I can see those shows I'm missing.

• True 1

44 minutes ago, Slug said:

I have Peacock and it's decent.  Paramount+ is one of those services that has a couple shows I want to watch but not enough for me to justify a sub.  I'd be jazzed if they combo'd with Peacock because hopefully the combo price would justify picking it up so I can see those shows I'm missing.

I 100% agree. Paramount is the weakest of the “main” streaming services by a lot IMO. I’ve enjoyed Peacock a lot more with shows like Bupkis, the WWE integration, the Psych movies, Monk’s Final Case, Twisted Metal, etc. Paramount has a handful of good ones too, don’t get me wrong, but Peacock is more consistent, IMO.

• True 1

On 2/17/2024 at 2:50 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

Do you have proof that because Paramount+ exists that they would have never made the show?

It is more like CBS felt that new Star Trek shows aren't popular enough to put on TV so they made it to put on streaming services instead. But they could have made the same decision if it was their streaming service or someone else's.

Those shows were made specifically to sell Paramount+ and were a huge part of the marketing plan the first year Paramount+ launched. They COULD have made these shows for other streaming services but they probably wouldn't have.  Also don't know if you guys know, but Paramount+ is basically merged with Showtime now so all of the Showtime's shows and movies are now included with the service as well.

• Like 1