Congressional bipartisan public hearing on UFOs and aliens begins tomorrow

My dad and his brother saw a glowing orb about the size of a pickup truck 100 ft above the street when they were kids (this would have been around 1969). He said it moved parallel with the road, made a perfect 90 degree turn and then continued down the street. He said it made an extremely loud noise like a vacuum cleaner and had multiple colors like a soap bubble.

1 minute ago, osxmatt said:

While I do believe aliens exist, I find it hard to square that they’ve mastered the art of intergalactic space travel but need to be within our atmosphere to monitor us or take various readings. 

While I do believe Europeans exist, I find it hard to square that they’ve mastered the art of oceanic travel but need to land on our beaches to monitor us or take our spices.

• Confused 1

Anyone who believes there are real honest to god UFOs and the government has them should have seriously reconsidered that opinion after Trump took office and left with the least impressive shitty documents known to man.  If there was alien shit in government hands, it would be next to a toilet in Florida.  Don’t get your hopes up.

• True 3

230726-conressional-ufo-hearing-hero_g0c
WWW.THEDAILYBEAST.COM

Several witnesses testified in Congress’ highly anticipated UFO hearing Wednesday, including a former Navy commander who said UFOs are a threat to national security.

A former Navy pilot has recounted a chilling encounter he had with an UFO in 2014 as he flew an F/A-18 Hornet off the coast of Virginia Beach, saying the unknown object was so jarring his flight commander called off the mission “immediately” and they “returned to base.”

Ryan Graves, the first witness to testify in Congress’ highly anticipated UFO hearings on Wednesday, recalled seeing “a dark gray or a black cube inside of a clear sphere” that got within 50 feet of his squadron’s lead aircraft.

Graves said the UAP—unidentified aerial phenomena, another term for UFOs—was between five to 15 feet in diameter. He said his commander filed a report but no official mention of the encounter ever surfaced.

“Our squadron submitted a safety report but there was no official acknowledgement of the incident and no further mechanism to report the sightings,” he said.

12 minutes ago, best3444 said:

So do most of you think there isn't any another intelligent life out in the GINORMOUS universe? 

I do think that the government knows something but it's just too difficult to really know for sure. 

8 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The probability that other intelligent species exist in the universe more than likely outweighs the probability that other intelligent species do not exist in the universe.

That's about as far as I'm willing to go though.

The chances of things (in my opinion, backed by science):

• single-celled life in many places all over the universe: 100%
  • multi-cellular life in many places all over the universe: near-100%
  • advanced life (think even insects) all over the universe: near-100%
  • sapient life (similar to humans) all over the universe: >50% (but near-100% that it exists sporadically over time and space)
  • sapient life being able to defeat the inverse-square law and communicate meaningfully (at least one two-way communication) with other stars: <10%
  • sapient life being able to defeat time and travel sub-light to other stars: <5% (maybe some near the galactic cores, where stars are easier to get to...though conditions are less hospitable for life)
  • sapient life being able to defeat physics and travel fast-than-light to other stars: near-0% (I would say 0%, but I grant the incredibly infinitesimal chance that our understanding of physics is completely wrong, and FTL is possible)

So while I do believe that there are likely thousands of "advanced" civilizations (similar to us) even in our own galaxy, I think the chance of any of them ever actually even communicating are close to 0. I'm sure it's happened somewhere at some time. And I'm sure that signals are heard more often, but never again.

I think it's entirely possible that no life from different star systems have ever visited each other, simply due to how strong the laws of physics are in preventing it. Most people simply can't grasp how impossible it is to even approach 1% the speed of light. To move an existing space capsule to 99%+ the speed of light, you'd need to burn something like Jupiter to get the energy (and also to slow back down). I think it's pretty likely that probes have been sent all over the place at sub-FTL to send back data.

• Like 1
  • True 2
  • Halal 1

Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

And that "dark forest hypothesis" is definitely a compelling reason as to why we may never detect/encounter another intelligent species from a game theory perspective.

For sure. The cards are stacked against life ever meeting or even talking to each other, and then on top of that you have strong incentive to never even try. However, dark forest is only really a compelling reason to not communicate if you believe that travel is possible and economical (because then you are competing for resources). If you believe it's not really possible (or worth it), then I think dark forest loses credibility.

Just now, CitizenVectron said:

For sure. The cards are stacked against life ever meeting or even talking to each other, and then on top of that you have strong incentive to never even try. However, dark forest is only really a compelling reason to not communicate if you believe that travel is possible and economical (because then you are competing for resources). If you believe it's not really possible (or worth it), then I think dark forest loses credibility.

Right - the dark forest hypothesis only really applies to species who possess sufficiently advanced capabilities.

10 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

The chances of things (in my opinion, backed by science):

• single-celled life in many places all over the universe: 100%
  • multi-cellular life in many places all over the universe: near-100%
  • advanced life (think even insects) all over the universe: near-100%
  • sapient life (similar to humans) all over the universe: >50%
  • sapient life being able to defeat the inverse square law and communicate easily with other stars: <10%
  • sapient life being able to defeat time and travel sub-light to other stars: <5% (maybe some near the galactic cores, where stars are easier to get to...though conditions are less hospitable for life)
  • sapient life being able to defeat physics and travel fast-than-light to other stars: near-0% (I would say 0%, but I grant the incredibly infinitesimal chance that our understanding of physics is completely wrong, and FTL is possible)

So while I do believe that there are likely thousands of "advanced" civilizations (similar to us) even in our own galaxy, I think the chance of any of them ever actually even communicating are close to 0. I'm sure it's happened somewhere at some time. And I'm sure that signals are heard more often, but never again.

I think it's entirely possible that no life from different star systems have ever visited each other, simply due to how strong the laws of physics are in preventing it. Most people simply can't grasp how impossible it is to even approach 1% the speed of light. To move an existing space capsule to 99%+ the speed of light, you'd need to burn something like Jupiter to get the energy (and also to slow back down).

I'd lower the probability of the last 3 even more.

And then the chances these life forms meet each other (us) is even lower than that because the universe is so huge and old.

14 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I think it's entirely possible that no life from different star systems have ever visited each other, simply due to how strong the laws of physics are in preventing it. Most people simply can't grasp how impossible it is to even approach 1% the speed of light. To move an existing space capsule to 99%+ the speed of light, you'd need to burn something like Jupiter to get the energy (and also to slow back down). I think it's pretty likely that probes have been sent all over the place at sub-FTL to send back data.

I'm thinking that a civilization would have to be at least a Type II on the Kardashev Scale to even begin having a realistic shot at merely contemplating near-FTL travel.

• Halal 2

The chances of life meeting other life are only near zero if warp drive technology is actually impossible (requires large amounts of negative mass, which does not appear to exist anywhere in the universe). Who knows, maybe it can be created in the lab!

The amount of testimony from pilots describing craft behaving in ways that are beyond our current level of technology is the most eyebrow raising element of this whole affair. Man-made drones can’t move at supersonic speed and then stop and turn on a dime, no matter how advanced. Then you have the reports of supersonic craft moving without any kind of thermal exhaust trail. Fascinating stuff.