Congressional bipartisan public hearing on UFOs and aliens begins tomorrow

4 hours ago, legend said:

Aliens capable of visiting earth today exist and are half-assed doing it in secrecy.

OR

The pilot didn't understand what they saw.

This was from 2 years ago but involves some of the same people today. 2 jets with 4 people total all seeing the same unexplainable thing. A lot of people here dismissing the idea but stories like this have to make you wonder.  

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Absolutely! 

I have no doubt that every single one of us who have expressed our skepticism of these particular events do genuinely wish that they did represent engagement with non-terrestrial intelligence.  Confirmation of such an event would more than likely have effects on practically every fundamental aspect of human existence -- science, philosophy, theology, art, etc. -- in ways that are unpredictable, exciting, and terrifying in equal measures.

But this isn't it, at least not yet.  I'm firmly convinced that our first engagement with a non-terrestrial intelligence won't be a near-miss with an F/A-18E/F Super Hornet, but it will be the detection of a faint, barely discernible electromagnetic pulse from somewhere in the cold darkness of the cosmos.

A series of huge EM pulses that gain intensity and frequency over a period of days...until they cease completely, and we deduce it was the 10,000-year-delayed EMPs of a civilization's collapse into nuclear self-destruction. Confirmation of alien life, and confirmation of its destruction.

• Sicko Sherman 1

1 hour ago, DarkStar189 said:

This was from 2 years ago but involves some of the same people today. 2 jets with 4 people total all seeing the same unexplainable thing. A lot of people here dismissing the idea but stories like this have to make you wonder.  

I wonder about aliens fairly regularly. Stories like these though are not really cause for it though :p 

2 hours ago, Massdriver said:

I mostly agree with the skeptics here, but I think there is another, slightly more probable type of alien object that hasn’t  been previously mentioned. It seems it is built in to some of your assertions that the alien object would have to break FTL travel. That’s not the case. An alien craft visiting earth would likely be a probe, probably one that has intelligent algorithms to fuel itself and self replicate. There would likely be no biological presence on board and such an object could  have been traveling for millions, possibly billions of years. Whoever built it could be dead. Sometimes we also forget how old the universe is, not just its size. 

This scenario seems more likely to me because we don’t have to assume FTL travel and we don’t have to assume little green people are making the long trip here. 

I don’t know what these pilots are seeing. They’re probably mistaken, but I’ll keep an open mind. I’ll need some real evidence for me to believe though. 

I didn’t watch the testimony, so maybe they did provide evidence. :P

I get to a certain extent trying to deduce the intentions of anything non-human is a fools errand but… to what end?  Why would you build an intelligent probe with AI sophisticated enough to enter unknown atmospheres AND actively avoid observation that could literally never once be useful to you or your species?  What’s it doing?  Collecting data for ghosts that it can never return?  If anything, sending a probe out into the cosmos forever with full knowledge you will NEVER benefit from it seems like the kind of thing you would want to be noticed because the only other possible reason to do it is to leave something behind as a marker of yourself and your species.  

1 minute ago, LazyPiranha said:

I get to a certain extent trying to deduce the intentions of anything non-human is a fools errand but… to what end?  Why would you build an intelligent probe with AI sophisticated enough to enter unknown atmospheres AND actively avoid observation that could literally never once be useful to you or your species?  What’s it doing?  Collecting data for ghosts that it can never return?  If anything, sending a probe out into the cosmos forever with full knowledge you will NEVER benefit from it seems like the kind of thing you would want to be noticed because the only other possible reason to do it is to leave something behind as a marker of yourself and your species.  

They’re shit posters I’m telling you guys.

• True 1

1 minute ago, LazyPiranha said:

Shitposters shitpost for the sake of getting a reaction.  No one shitposts to the void.

They got the worlds greatest superpower to have a congressional hearing over their shit posting.

Pretty effective imo.

6 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

Shitposters shitpost for the sake of getting a reaction.  No one shitposts to the void.

They are just self-replicating millions of copies of probes right now and gathering intelligence, and eventually will spell the word "FART" in the sky across the world before burning up forever. No explanation and no way to respond.

• Sicko Sherman 1

31 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

They could be mapping solar systems and habitual worlds and sending data back. It could be probes that have malfunctioned. It may be doing so without being observed to try not to interfere with the natural development of a civilization (ever watched Star Trek?) or because they don’t want to be killed by another civilization.  It may be useful if time is perceived very differently for them. Another unlikely possibility is it could be natural phenomena that isn’t alien at all, but something real that we are misinterpreting. 

I think we would agree this is very unlikely. I just think it’s worth considering. 

1 hour ago, Massdriver said:

They could be mapping solar systems and habitual worlds and sending data back. It could be probes that have malfunctioned. It may be doing so without being observed to try not to interfere with the natural development of a civilization (ever watched Star Trek?) or because they don’t want to be killed by another civilization.  It may be useful if time is perceived very differently for them. Another unlikely possibility is it could be natural phenomena that isn’t alien at all, but something real that we are misinterpreting. 

I think we would agree this is very unlikely. I just think it’s worth considering. 

I’ve always loved reading about all the crazy theories involving aliens and ufo’s.  To me it’s entertainment. So many what if’s and maybe’s. Aliens, drones, time travelers, something from another dimension, some crazy thing that lives in the earth and we don’t even know it. Maybe nothing at all. The fact that this is being talked about at all in the government and we’re all hearing about it is wild. Maybe it’s true or maybe it’s just a big fun distraction.

1 hour ago, Massdriver said:

So they have a prime directive but come here and let some random terrestrial only fighter see them while cutting open our cows in the middle of nowhere America while not turning their fucking lights off while they’re in our atmosphere. Pretty dumb ebes. Maybe they’re following faa rules, pretty cool of them!

any species that can travel the cosmos won’t need to buzz our fourth generation multi role fighters for shits and giggles.

Unless they’re shit posters. Maybe they’re IG made manifest. Makes as 

Much sense.

Not saying its this, but there are a lot of explanations that aren't aliens, but basically oxygen issues in fighters is a thing.

ZIAW4CAE3RGFNIFXSY3ZBOJPYM.jpg
WWW.AIRFORCETIMES.COM

Five years after a spike in reports of dangerous mental and physical effects in flight, military aviators are breathing easier. But problems persist.

8 hours ago, Massdriver said:

My point is you said the probes could be traveling for millions or billions of years.  We’re not bright enough to make something like this, and even we know that we’re not going to be around as a species in a few billion years.  Sending something out into the cosmos to map things and return after your civilization is dust is meaningless.  

Hell, even in the extremely unlikely case that an alien race managed to live that long, it would be pointless.  Think about how much language has changed in 600 years between The Canterbury Tales and now and how it’s barely parseable in its original form.  Now multiply that different by a million.  If a probe sent millions of years ago comes back, it’s either coming back to nothing or something that can’t even begin to understand it.  They’d probably assume someone else sent it and not themselves.

Half of this board is really taking an anthropomorphic view of aliens, and they must understand and manipulate physics like humanity understands and manipulates physics. 

Further, if there are aliens out there, there is no guarantee they even fit within our understanding of how life (on earth) functions.  Things like being carbon-based, having DNA, or even utilizing oxygen or water may not be necessary for certain types of life that developed elsewhere in the universe.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

My point is you said the probes could be traveling for millions or billions of years.  We’re not bright enough to make something like this, and even we know that we’re not going to be around as a species in a few billion years.  Sending something out into the cosmos to map things and return after your civilization is dust is meaningless.  

Hell, even in the extremely unlikely case that an alien race managed to live that long, it would be pointless.  Think about how much language has changed in 600 years between The Canterbury Tales and now and how it’s barely parseable in its original form.  Now multiply that different by a million.  If a probe sent millions of years ago comes back, it’s either coming back to nothing or something that can’t even begin to understand it.  They’d probably assume someone else sent it and not themselves.

Perhaps the probe started by mapping the adjacent solar systems, but was not programmed to return. Maybe it’s like probe space junk. :shrug:

42 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Half of this board is really taking an anthropomorphic view of aliens, and they must understand and manipulate physics like humanity understands and manipulates physics. 

Further, if there are aliens out there, there is no guarantee they even fit within our understanding of how life (on earth) functions.  Things like being carbon-based, having DNA, or even utilizing oxygen or water may not be necessary for certain types of life that developed elsewhere in the universe.

If I were to put on my speculation hat, I would guess that the majority of complex alien life is carbon based with maybe silicon based as a second, excluding aliens that live in a completely unknown aspect of the universe. Carbon is just too fucking chemically useful to not be the standard basis. It's not a fluke that life on earth is carbon based, even if you knew nothing else about earth's composition.

Or at least that's for the origins of the alien life. If we're talking about sophisticated aliens, I have no doubt they completely re-engineered themselves.

22 minutes ago, legend said:

If I were to put on my speculation hat, I would guess that the majority of complex alien life is carbon based with maybe silicon based as a second, excluding aliens that live in a completely unknown aspect of the universe. Carbon is just too fucking chemically useful to not be the standard basis. It's not a fluke that life on earth is carbon based, even if you knew nothing else about earth's composition.

Or at least that's for the origins of the alien life. If we're talking about sophisticated aliens, I have no doubt they completely re-engineered themselves.

Highly doubtful that silicon could be used as a building block for naturally occurring life. It simply can’t do what carbon can do well and easily: create complex, strong, and varied long chains with itself and other nonmetals(which aren’t oxygen, which silicon fucking loves). It’s not a matter of “what if they have different biology?!?”. Silican’t do that basic chemical stuff. 

• Thanks 1
  • True 1

5 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Highly doubtful that silicon could be used as a building block for naturally occurring life. It simply can’t do what carbon can do well and easily: create complex, strong, and varied long chains with itself and other nonmetals(which aren’t oxygen, which silicon fucking loves). It’s not a matter of “what if they have different biology?!?”. Silican’t do that basic chemical stuff. 

I watched this video from a theoretical physicist on this very topic a few weeks ago:

• Thanks 1
  • True 1

3 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

From a theoretical physicist whose video on this subject I watched a few weeks ago:

I’ll have to watch that, thanks. 

it always seemed intuitive to me, with only a few semesters of college chemistry that silicon wouldn’t work, but I’m always one to feed into my preconceived notions :dab:

17 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Yeah that would have been my guess as well, but my chemistry isn't good enough for me to confidently rule it out :p 

Even if you're super interested in the prospect of aliens existing, watching these hearings will probably be a waste of time for you. If enough evidence comes out of these hearings to actually substantiate the proposition that aliens exist and have visited us and/or are in our custody, it will be completely unavoidable news. You won't be able to avoid being made fully aware of it unless you live in a completely secluded box. 

Testimony and eyewitness accounts, especially of the output of monitoring equipment is not sufficient evidence. The burden of such evidence for alien life visiting earth is far greater than testimony and eyewitness accounts can overcome on its own. The prior probability that they're mistaken, dishonest, etc. is MUCH higher than the prior probability that aliens exist and have visited us and/or are in our custody.

A general rule: a lot of bad evidence doesn't equal even a little bit of good evidence. In fact, a lot of bad evidence is *expected* for many propositions in hypothetical worlds where those propositions are false. 

• True 2
  • Halal 1

8 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

Not saying its this, but there are a lot of explanations that aren't aliens, but basically oxygen issues in fighters is a thing.

ZIAW4CAE3RGFNIFXSY3ZBOJPYM.jpg
WWW.AIRFORCETIMES.COM

Five years after a spike in reports of dangerous mental and physical effects in flight, military aviators are breathing easier. But problems persist.

Yeah, but the people seeing “crafts” from fighter’s definitely aren’t that, as there is video of the phenomenon.

I definitely don’t believe any government has aliens, or alien tech, but we can rule out cognitive problems under G’s and duress when talking about these craft they are getting videos of.

1 hour ago, Rev said:

Even if you're super interested in the prospect of aliens existing, watching these hearings will probably be a waste of time for you. If enough evidence comes out of these hearings to actually substantiate the proposition that aliens exist and have visited us and/or are in our custody, it will be completely unavoidable news. You won't be able to avoid being made fully aware of it unless you live in a completely secluded box. 

Testimony and eyewitness accounts, especially of the output of monitoring equipment is not sufficient evidence. The burden of such evidence for alien life visiting earth is far greater than testimony and eyewitness accounts can overcome on its own. The prior probability that they're mistaken, dishonest, etc. is MUCH higher than the prior probability that aliens exist and have visited us and/or are in our custody.

A general rule: a lot of bad evidence doesn't equal even a little bit of good evidence. In fact, a lot of bad evidence is *expected* for many propositions in hypothetical worlds where those propositions are false. 

This is why I didn't bother watching it. It's still hearsay and some witness testimony. Granted, it's better witness testimony than the average UFO sighting, but it's not enough to substantiate aliens or a secret U.S. program. 

I want to believe but they're going to have to do a lot better to convince me. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2023 at 9:50 AM, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Anytime people talk about silicon based life I imagine ET coughing up sand. 🤷

• 1 month later...

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-shares-unidentified-anomalous-phenomena-independent-study-report

https://science.nasa.gov/files/science-pink/s3fs-public/atoms/files/UAP Independent Study Team - Final Report_0.pdf

NASA commissioned the independent study to better understand how the agency can contribute to ongoing government efforts to further the study observations of events in the sky that cannot be identified as balloons, aircraft, or as known natural phenomena from a scientific perspective.

“At NASA, it's in our DNA to explore – and to ask why things are the way they are. I want to thank the Independent Study Team for providing insight on how NASA can better study and analyze UAP in the future,” said NASA Administrator Bill Nelson. “NASA’s new Director of UAP Research will develop and oversee the implementation of NASA’s scientific vision for UAP research, including using NASA’s expertise to work with other agencies to analyze UAP and applying artificial intelligence and machine learning to search the skies for anomalies. NASA will do this work transparently for the benefit of humanity.”

The report contains the external study team’s findings and recommendations which aim to inform NASA on what possible data is available to be collected and how the agency can help shed light on the origin and nature of future UAP. The report is not a review or assessment of previous UAP incidents.

While NASA is still evaluating the report and assessing the independent study team’s findings and recommendations, the agency is committed to contributing to the federal government’s unified UAP effort by appointing a director of UAP research.

A NASA liaison to the Department of Defense previously covered limited UAP activities for the agency, and the director role will centralize communications, resources, and data analytical capabilities to establish a robust database for the evaluation of future UAP. The director also will leverage NASA’s expertise in artificial intelligence, machine learning, and space-based observation tools to support and enhance the broader government initiative on UAP.

The independent study team’s overall recommendation for NASA from its report is that the agency can play a prominent role in the government’s effort to understand UAP by furthering the study and data collection of UAP. The external study recommends that NASA use its open-source resources, extensive technological expertise, data analysis techniques, federal and commercial partnerships, and Earth-observing assets to curate a better and robust dataset for understanding future UAP.