~*Official Utterly Useless Old Woman, AOC, and UBI Thread*~

Main thing: turnout. Many races nationwide break one way or the other en masse in recent history, so while Dems could take the House in a large way, there's a possibility it breaks the other way where they gain seats but not enough to control Congress.

Not a reason to fear, but a reason to be proactive, vote in your primaries, and be realistic instead of complacent.

Voted Andrew Gillum yesterday. Saw a woman putting up a Gillum sign and shouted, "He has my vote!"

Graham and Levine are leading, but primary polls in races with this many candidates can be really bad. One of the front-runners could take an easy lead once the votes are in, but there's enough of a spread that Gillum could be the candidate. At least he's young if this isn't his year, but I think he can stand up to the cartoon characters on the GOP side pretty easily.

Just now, SFLUFAN said:

Good Christ, he should've been dropped like a radioactive fuel rod.

Amazing how Dems wouldn't be sweating out a safe seat in New Jersey in a year that favors Democrats if they would have simply not backed this guy. Why stand by him? THERE'S NO REASON BESIDES WANTING HEADACHES.

2 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Because Christie would have picked his replacement, then charges were dropped and no good dems challenged him so he won his primary. 

They couldn't have gotten some people ready earlier this year, though? Christie wasn't in charge in January, and they could have had one or two people on standby.

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

They couldn't have gotten some people ready earlier this year, though? Christie wasn't in charge in January, and they could have had one or two people on standby.

I have no idea what they did or didn't do, all i know is his primary opponent wasn't a strong one and he beat him.

1 hour ago, PaladinSolo said:

I have no idea what they did or didn't do, all i know is his primary opponent wasn't a strong one and he beat him.

His primary opponent got 35% spending basically zero money—I think they raised all of $5,000. If someone was able to get 35% simply for not being Menendez, a properly-funded primary opponent likely could have beat him.

• Guillotine 1

9 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I feel he could have resigned early this year and been replaced by the new governor. Would anything in NJ have prevented that?

Our “shut up your face!” political movement is incredibly vocal here in NJ, almost as vocal as our “Springsteen or gtfo” movement.

16 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I feel he could have resigned early this year and been replaced by the new governor. Would anything in NJ have prevented that?

IIRC there was a NYT article where they tried to get him to resign, or at least not seek reelection, once the new governor was sworn in but he simply refused to go. So that wasn't happening. They really should have just primaried though.

• Guillotine 1

13 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

Beto continues to remain close to Cruz, dem excitement in the state likely has more of an impact on the house races even if Beto loses. 

Control of the Senate is nice and all. But on a visceral level is would be so satisfying to see Cruz, after cucking himself to the man who personally insulted his wife and father, booted out of the Senate. Something so satisfying to seeing this slug of a human being sell his soul....and still lose.

4 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Control of the Senate is nice and all. But on a visceral level is would be so satisfying to see Cruz, after cucking himself to the man who personally insulted his wife and father, booted out of the Senate. Something so satisfying to seeing this slug of a human being sell his soul....and still lose.

Cruz isn't going to lose though.  Beto's stance on guns will result in a solid victory for the Zodiac Killer.

13 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Cruz isn't going to lose though.  Beto's stance on guns will result in a solid victory for the Zodiac Killer.

Polling indicates otherwise, that same poll Abott is +19 while Cruz is only +4, so people are definitely breaking to vote for Beto.  Texas also isn't the anti-gun control mecca you believe to be, more in this poll believed we'd be less safe if more people had guns than safer, also a partisan/racial divide on the issue, in a state that doesn't have a white majority and increasing dem presence.

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/10/23/uttt-poll-most-texas-voters-say-confederate-memorials-shouldnt-move/

Just now, PaladinSolo said:

Polling indicates otherwise, that same poll Abott is +19 while Cruz is only +4, so people are definitely breaking to vote for Beto.

Sure, they are right now.  He's a nice guy and doesn't give off a creepy "serial killer" vibe.  But Beto's comments on gun control will be used against him in the weeks leading up to the election. 

6 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Sure, they are right now.  He's a nice guy and doesn't give off a creepy "serial killer" vibe.  But Beto's comments on gun control will be used against him in the weeks leading up to the election. 

Beto isn't an unknown though, hes going from one end of the state to the other and isn't hiding his stance on guns, and as i said the state isn't as anti gun control as you think.  He likely still loses, because the state isn't there yet, but hes definitely helping dems down the ballot as well.