~*Official Utterly Useless Old Woman, AOC, and UBI Thread*~

The most competitive districts are only somewhat better educated and somewhat more suburban than the country as a whole.

The battleground in the fight for control of the House is starting to come into focus with 99 days to go until the November election. It’s not exactly the battleground that analysts expected.

It’s not dominated by well-educated, suburban districts that voted for Hillary Clinton. Instead, the battleground is broad, and it includes a long list of working-class and rural districts that voted for Donald J. Trump in 2016.

The broader battleground is a positive development for Democrats. It’s a reflection of how much the Republican structural advantage in the House has eroded over the last year. What remains of it isn’t helping the Republicans as much as analysts assumed it would, at least not yet.

Curious to see if some of those AOC/Sanders-endorsed Democrats in more rural areas in the middle of the country do well.

9 hours ago, Jason said:

This poll seems to have a lot of credibility in Texas, at least traditionally. The other results on the governor being ahead by 10%+ along with the Lt Governor seem to show that Cruz really is in a much tighter race. I would still bet Cruz will win by a decent 4-8% margin, but it is closer than I thought it would be.

On 8/3/2018 at 10:52 AM, Massdriver said:

This poll seems to have a lot of credibility in Texas, at least traditionally. The other results on the governor being ahead by 10%+ along with the Lt Governor seem to show that Cruz really is in a much tighter race. I would still bet Cruz will win by a decent 4-8% margin, but it is closer than I thought it would be.

Cruz thinks it's closer than many people give them credit for. Look at his latest ad. 

1 hour ago, Massdriver said:

That was so damn cringeworthy. 

Ted Cruz once observed a child traversing on wheeled shoes. Ted Cruz will work tirelessly to find out what this technology is called and demand the earth children turn its schematics over to Ted Cruz, forthwith.

• Guillotine 1

23 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Trump wasn't invited to Ohio to rally for Balderson, he just showed up and they're not exactly thrilled, lol.

It's all about self-aggrandizement for Trump.

Being a longtime skeptic, it is amazing and depressing just how often I find the perfect analogy for Trump's actions in those of two bit hucksters. Like, not even sophisticated ones....the Uri Gellers and Sylvia Brownes of the world.

In this case, Trump seems to be practicing the ancient art of soothsaying via volume. Normally a president of a party would make such a stop for the sole purpose of winning that seat, to increase the party's power. If not showing up would help more, that's what he would do. But for Trump, showing that he has the golden touch is more important than whether his presence helps or hurts that candidate.

This is where the soothsaying comes in. Hucksters profit by throwing everything out there in the hopes that people remember the hits and forget the misses(though some help this along by deleting the misses from their webpage after the fact :D ). Trump has his followers so brainwashed that if this guy wins now it was ALL because of Trump. If he loses, it will either be the candidates fault or they'll just forget about the miss altogether.

Funny thing is that right before hitting Reply, I remembered that Trump actually did this too. Anyone remember this one? Trump deletes Tweets supporting Luther Strange after Roy Moore wins Alabama primary.

I really think someone should make an ugly green cap that says "Make America Great and Terrible Again" because Trump really is just an Oxian conman.