~*Official Utterly Useless Old Woman, AOC, and UBI Thread*~

47 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

What I'm seeing there is what happens very often in these situations where the "internal security forces" are the regime defenders while the military will side with the people.

This is because internal security is usually drawn from a relatively narrow clique whose privileges and status depend on the survival of the regime while the military tends to represent a far broader societal cross-section.

That is probably our only hope.

On 8/14/2020 at 10:52 AM, PaladinSolo said:

lol, imagine believing America isn't already ending, also the police wouldn't be an issue they can't contain a city on fire they've already proved that.

Define ‘end’ here.  Cause I think we’re going a touch overboard.

As bad as Trump is, and as bad as it’ll be if he gets re-elected, I’d still say the Depression, the Civil war, and even the social turbulence of the sixties were worse, and the country’s managed to bounce back.

This time it might be different in the sense that we may soon lose our empire, but the British lost an even greater empire and on the whole the U.K. is a pretty decent place to live by all accounts.

Also, keep in mind that the future of politics will soon belong to Gen X/Y/Z.  As a whole, they’re not terribly Trumpian in their inclinations.  Even rigging mail-in voting can only work against the forces of demographics for so long.

The Republic can be saved, folks. Maybe not the empire...but the Republic is salvageable.  And you might not even have to burn cities to save it.  IMO, Trump is the last, desperate gasp of boomer tyranny, and 2020 won’t be the end of America, even if that gasp can be drawn out for another excruciating four years.

There can be no "American Republic" without the "American Empire".

It's the Empire based on the US dollar hegemony being the reserve currency that's holding the Republic together.  The United States was NEVER a "cohesive state" to begin with and essentially "got lucky" time and time again that allowed it to muddle through a continued existence.  That luck has just about run out.

The Republic (and Empire) is finished.  It may take a little while, but it's done.  Time to "move on". The sooner that reality sinks in, the better to start considering "what comes next" looks like.

17 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

There can be no "American Republic" without the "American Empire".

It's the Empire based on the US dollar being the reserve currency that's holding the Republic together.

The Republic (and Empire) is finished.  It may take a little while, but it's done.  The sooner that reality sinks in, the better to start considering "what comes next" looks like.

I disagree.  I think the end of dollar hegemony will mean we lose our overseas holdings—but that’s already starting to happen.  Our inability to control Iraq was only the latest symptom.

It will require some economic adjustments at home, but without the dollar as reserve currency there might be some unforeseen positive effects, like a better balance of trade and more favorable conditions for re-developing a manufacturing base.  The dollar’s reserve status makes such things impossible.

I’m not saying the adjustments will be painless, but I think the country’s younger generations are being underestimated, too, and they’ll pull us through.

But I totally get why everyone’s feeling gloomy.  2020 has been a total shitshow.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...