~*Official Utterly Useless Old Woman, AOC, and UBI Thread*~

since partisan gerrymandering cannot be reviewed by the courts, might as well dunk on these assholes. In fact, if Dems were serious about gerrymandering reform, they'd make a point to create such hilariously partisan maps that no court could uphold them 

The illinois map is hilarious though

On 2/2/2021 at 11:45 PM, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Going “haha look at the opposition” is literally the worst possible platform to run on. Why? PEOPLE LOOK AT THE OPPOSITION AND MIGHT LIKE WHAT THEY SEE. Hillary’s TV ads in 2016 mostly amounted to “omg, look at Trump? Do you really want this?”, and yes, there were a lot of other factors, but I firmly believe this didn’t help her. JFC.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2021 at 7:40 PM, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

since partisan gerrymandering cannot be reviewed by the courts, might as well dunk on these assholes. In fact, if Dems were serious about gerrymandering reform, they'd make a point to create such hilariously partisan maps that no court could uphold them 

The illinois map is hilarious though

No one is ever serious about gerrymandering reform. That's why it's been a thing for over 200 years.

she might be dumber than every single republican.

Fortunately vp can overrule the parliamentarian and it takes 60 votes to overrule that overrule. But it doesn't bode well for literally any other thing that we'd want to get done, in this congress or the next should we keep majorities. Republicans won't support a new voting rights act so she's trying to put herself out of a job.

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

WAR? 

Wins after replacement, a metric used in baseball. I'm not an expert on this but basically, how good is that player compared to who could replace them. The person who would replace manchin is some right wing ghoul, whereas sinema could conceivably be replaced with even a centrist who isn't shit

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Wins after replacement, a metric used in baseball. I'm not an expert on this but basically, how good is that player compared to who could replace them. The person who would replace manchin is some right wing ghoul, whereas sinema could conceivably be replaced with even a centrist who isn't shit

Exactly! She needs to cut the shit asap.

44 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Now I know why you hate Nate Silver: you're made he left BP to pursue a career in polling data science!

Just now, Joe said:

Now I know why you hate Nate Silver: you're made he left BP to pursue a career in polling data science!

I'd like to think my ire is more nuanced than that 

(He's simply the most popular/well known data scientist, but he lacks the self awareness to know when to shut up when he reaches his own limitations of subject matter knowledge with his major platform)

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I'd like to think my ire is more nuanced than that 

(He's simply the most popular/well known data scientist, but he lacks the self awareness to know when to shut up when he reaches his own limitations of subject matter knowledge with his major platform)

I was kidding. He definitely has that problem as does Matt Y tbh, but I still greatly enjoy reading them both.