~*Official Utterly Useless Old Woman, AOC, and UBI Thread*~

1 hour ago, 5timechamp said:

the Dems are such f’n losers that they dont realize when they win or how to press their advantage.. 

Agreed, but let's be honest - even if they called witnesses (which they should have), Trump was always going to get acquitted. The base demanded it, so the GOP was always going to cave in to their base. Their base doesn't give a shit about justice, just winning at all costs.

Stories matter more than data and facts in politics. Telling the story of January 6th with witness testimony, so that it is forever on record, matters more than just getting Trump convicted. And the Dems gave up on it because they think it doesn’t matter if they can’t get the conviction. 

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Stories matter more than data and facts in politics. Telling the story of January 6th with witness testimony, so that it is forever on record, matters more than just getting Trump convicted. And the Dems gave up on it because they think it doesn’t matter if they can’t get the conviction. 

The worst part is neither side truly and fully saw this as a political process with a political outcome. 

Trump's lawyers saw this as a civil/criminal process (paraphrasing: "we have to do depositions the same way we do for the civil and criminal cases that I'm used to; in my office in philly-delphia") but knew from the start that the outcome was 100% political (and hoping that what came out in the trial would not change the standing political calculus)

The Dems saw this as a political process with a political outcome but didn't take it to it's natural conclusion: to extract a political victory, even if that is not a conviction, requires ratcheting up the lever you have control over. That is, you have to sustain a narrative that works in your favor which requires you to wring every bit of truth in a slow drip fashion. Otherwise it's forgotten weeks later. Now maybe they want to continue with public investigations and hearings but I'm not sure it will happen.

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

32 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The worst part is neither side truly and fully saw this as a political process with a political outcome. 

Trump's lawyers saw this as a civil/criminal process (paraphrasing: "we have to do depositions the same way we do for the civil and criminal cases that I'm used to; in my office in philly-delphia") but knew from the start that the outcome was 100% political (and hoping that what came out in the trial would not change the standing political calculus)

The Dems saw this as a political process with a political outcome but didn't take it to it's natural conclusion: to extract a political victory, even if that is not a conviction, requires ratcheting up the lever you have control over. That is, you have to sustain a narrative that works in your favor which requires you to wring every bit of truth in a slow drip fashion. Otherwise it's forgotten weeks later. Now maybe they want to continue with public investigations and hearings but I'm not sure it will happen.

You both are absolutely right. The Dems gave up. They knew they were never getting a conviction and not realizing history might fucking care about the record, they tossed in the towel. It was always going to play out that way, it sucks they got our hopes up (Dem strategy 101). 

There are more important things to be done, this is over, it sucks but I expected this outcome. I wish dearly we held people to account, but between Bush and Trump I think we have to accept that the GOP can't be held to account because their base is so rabid.

9 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Anecdotally, going by social media, this has emboldened Trump’s supporters more than I could have imagined. 

yup, it plays into the witch hunt narrative..

If Dems followed through Trump still gets acquitted but maybe some unclear on the matter perhaps see the truth and change their way of thinking

to cap it.. Trumps 4 years end on an absolute victory.. the GOP now knows they can rob the place blind without accountability, they know that the opposition is spineless snd will roll over, and they have carte blanche to twist facts to whatever they need.

The only reason Trump isnt president right now is cause Covid... but he or someone worse is waiting on the wings.. trial run was an absolute success