46 College Students Were Hospitalized Over A TikTok Challenge

“Dozens of students at the University of Massachusetts Amherst were hospitalized over the weekend after participating in the dangerous "borg" drinking challenge that has gained popularity on TikTok, officials said.

In total, 46 students were hospitalized, but all were eventually medically cleared and discharged back to campus or home with injuries deemed not life-threatening, Amherst town manager Paul Bockelman told CBS News.

Twenty-eight ambulances were used to transport students to the hospital. Because of the high number of students needing medical assistance, Amherst required the help of ambulances from neighboring towns and the regional EMS task force, Bockelman said.

Borgs, or "blackout rage gallons," are one-gallon containers of water that are emptied a bit, and then filled with alcohol and some kind of flavoring, such as water-enhancing drops or powdered drink mixes.

The hashtag #borg has garnered over 82.5 million views on TikTok.”

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/dozens-umass-students-hospitalized-consuming-borgs/

Wow.

16 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

So, basic college shit? Same as it ever was. Points to journalists for getting that "Tik-Tok" angle so that they seem current. 

46 people with 28 ambulances. Probably looked like a mass shooting was happening. Turned out to be a mass stupidity event.

• Haha 1
  • Halal 1

16 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

The hashtag #borg has garnered over 82.5 million views on TikTok.”

I wonder how many of those are disappointed Trekies. 

This is the same idiot generation that invented the Tidepod challenge. I guess we know what generation won’t need social security.  Fucking hell. 

On 3/9/2023 at 6:01 AM, Mr.Vic20 said:

So, basic college shit? Same as it ever was. Points to journalists for getting that "Tik-Tok" angle so that they seem current. 

This was my reaction as well. I too remember college and the ambulance calls due to people being way too fucking intoxicated. 

• Halal 1

The article above actually lists some positives/rationale that make sense:

• You control your own drink at all times, so much smaller chance of spiking
  • You can have as much (or little) alcohol as you want, so no shaming if you aren't actually drinking much
  • Binge drinking has been around forever and the actual medium makes no difference

With America's more puritan culture as it relates to teens, I don't think you're ever going to stop binge drinking at college/university. 

This is one of those things where social media just shines a spotlight on things that are objectively tamer than they used to be.

I went to college at a bougie liberal arts school and during my junior year, a freshman nicknamed “Dudeman” got shitfaced and yeeted himself out a second story window and needed to be hospitalized after he hit the pavement. I don’t think the party stopped.

I’m also reminded of frat initiation / hazing my dad told me about, the finale of which involved the pledges being walked into the house basement naked and blindfolded, carrying cinder blocks that were tied to their penises with string. While blindfolded and distracted, the brothers cut the strings while the pledges couldn’t see, and they had an accomplice drop a cinder block and start screaming like they were in pain. The end of the ceremony involved demanding that the pledges drop the cinder blocks, and when they didn’t, they’d get screamed at and had their hands punched until they dropped the cinder blocks only to find out that their dicks weren’t ripped off.

So… yeah.

• Halal 1

This latest TikTok killer challenge, reminds me when kids were dying from the Tide Pod challenge. Trying to remember the comedian who said it. Might have been Jim Jeffries. 

“The Tide Pod Challenge. Removing what should have been stains on their parents clothing”

3 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

This is one of those things where social media just shines a spotlight on things that are objectively tamer than they used to be.

I went to college at a bougie liberal arts school and during my junior year, a freshman nicknamed “Dudeman” got shitfaced and yeeted himself out a second story window and needed to be hospitalized after he hit the pavement. I don’t think the party stopped.

I’m also reminded of frat initiation / hazing my dad told me about, the finale of which involved the pledges being walked into the house basement naked and blindfolded, carrying cinder blocks that were tied to their penises with string. While blindfolded and distracted, the brothers cut the strings while the pledges couldn’t see, and they had an accomplice drop a cinder block and start screaming like they were in pain. The end of the ceremony involved demanding that the pledges drop the cinder blocks, and when they didn’t, they’d get screamed at and had their hands punched until they dropped the cinder blocks only to find out that their dicks weren’t ripped off.

So… yeah.

Jesus... why do all frat initiation stories from before the 1980s illustrate the absolute worst in humanity? And now all the idiots that went through that control and run the country. 

25 minutes ago, Comet said:

Jesus... why do all frat initiation stories from before the 1980s illustrate the absolute worst in humanity? And now all the idiots that went through that control and run the country. 

It didn’t stop then either lmao. There were some greek organizations kicked off my schools campus when I was in college a bit more than a decade ago for hazing. And that’s just the ones that were caught! The rumors within greek life for what didn’t get reported were wild

7 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

It didn’t stop then either lmao. There were some greek organizations kicked off my schools campus when I was in college a bit more than a decade ago for hazing. And that’s just the ones that were caught! The rumors within greek life for what didn’t get reported were wild

Oh I'm aware that hazing kept going (and still happens). It's the extreme levels of it that have truly fallen off though.