So... a Dozen Eggs is Six Freaking Dollars now????

skillzdadirecta

2 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

I’ve never seen an avian flu outbreak this potent and lasting so long. Boo.

Is that what's causing it?

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

The amusing thing is there are a couple of retailers that aren't jumping on the price gouging bandwagon. A dozen large brown eggs are still $1.50 at my local chain grocer. A dozen large white what are $2.40.

That's closer to what I'm used to paying.

8 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Is that what's causing it?

That's closer to what I'm used to paying.

i think tens of millions of hens have been disposed. My guess is it’s partly that, and then some of it is just them gouging the price since we’re expecting higher prices.

1 hour ago, Dodger said:

How come the price of chicken itself hasn't reallya gone up? Still around $1.99ish a pound for the basic stuff. 

Meat birds and laying hens are two separate populations.

28 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

That's the claim, but I'm pretty sure it's bullshit.

11% of the laying hens in the US vanished in a very short period of time. Much like the way we just-in-time the production of most consumer goods now, the egg industry just-enoughs egg production. This near overnight reduction in supply hasn’t been met with an equal reduction in demand. The natural impact of that is increased prices. That is without getting into the impact on the producers who lost the laying hens. The capital expenditure to get back to level will be large, and the cost to purchase chicks has gone up as well for the same reason a supply shock has rocketed up the price of eggs.

Of note, not all egg producers have seen sharp reductions in their hen population, and many of those are honoring prices with their distribution partners, which is why the increase isn’t consistent at all retailers.

The price of groceries in general is crazy and I can't imagine how struggling families are dealing with it.  I'm spending at least $60-80 more a week than 1-2 years ago. Wife and I went shopping this past weekend, went down the can aisle with soups. One can of Campbell's Chunky Soup was $4.29 at my grocery store... That's more fucked up than the eggs!

• True 1

5 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

The price of groceries in general is crazy and I can't imagine how struggling families are dealing with it.  I'm spending at least $60-80 more a week than 1-2 years ago. Wife and I went shopping this past weekend, went down the can aisle with soups. One can of Campbell's Chunky Soup was $4.29 at my grocery store... That's more fucked up than the eggs!

I love both Chunky and Progresso soup but it’s a rip off unless it’s on a buy 1 get 1. 

• True 2

6 hours ago, Dodger said:

How come the price of chicken itself hasn't reallya gone up? Still around $1.99ish a pound for the basic stuff. 

A buddy of mine who raises chickens has always said that if you started to poach a stone and an egg laying hen at the same time, the stone would be ready to eat first.

26 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It takes time to make food. It takes 10 seconds to rip a lid off a can and put it in a bowl.

no excuse. anyone can spend 15 minutes to make one pot of soup that could last a few days and taste better than anything from a can 

15 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

Also all the added cleaning and needing extra storage for large pots. 

a single 8qt pot is pretty standard piece of kitchen equipment, or a crock pot if you're not home very long. both cheap, easy to find, and inexpensive especially if purchasing second hand. cleaning a pot, lid, knife, cutting board and a stirring spoon & ladle should take you 5 mins tops.

for all the bad pizza takes on this board, the soup takes are so much worse

• Like 1
  • Guillotine 1

On 1/31/2023 at 1:07 PM, Dodger said:

On 1/31/2023 at 2:30 PM, sblfilms said:

Meat birds and laying hens are two separate populations.

I was about to say it could because they can keep meet frozen and on ice for longer than eggs will keep. So they could have stockpiles of chicken meat. But that makes a crap ton of sense too.