We Really Need to Talk About Marvel Snap, update: ByteDance announces divestment from Nuverse (Marvel Snap publisher)

skillzdadirecta

@Mercury33 introduced this game to a few of us a couple of weeks ago and we've been addicted ever since. It's crazy because I'm not into card battle games or mobile games but I can't put this fucker down. @ARZand @JPDunks4will back me up. Game is obnoxiously addicting. 

The gameplay is addicting enough but so is collecting the these fucking cards and their variants. Try this game if you dare but don't get mad at me if you get addicted.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's made by the one of the OG designers of Hearthstone, Ben Brode.

It's pretty much a perfect mobile F2P card game.

• Very quick games
  • Good learning curve with the different pools of cards that become increasingly complex
  • Little P2W mechanics, you can spend money to build out your collection faster but you can easily compete being F2P
  • Snap mechanic is great, almost like playing poker with the strategy and mind games
  • MARVEL
  • True 1

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Not as long as you keep winning.

I'm sure it's because I just started, but I've played about a hundred matches and lost maybe 4 or 5.  I feel like as long as you don't get a location that has some random ass weird effect like swapping hands or drawing from the other player's deck, it's pretty easy to win.  Again, this is probably wrong and my perception is being clouded because I'm still playing low level/low ELO players.

1 hour ago, Slug said:

I'm sure it's because I just started, but I've played about a hundred matches and lost maybe 4 or 5.  I feel like as long as you don't get a location that has some random ass weird effect like swapping hands or drawing from the other player's deck, it's pretty easy to win.  Again, this is probably wrong and my perception is being clouded because I'm still playing low level/low ELO players.

Yeah you're still playing newer folks. Some of the combos and cards you encounter at higher levels get really tricky. Protip: Matchmaking isn't determined by your rank, it's determined by your collection level. If you want to stay playing low level players with just basic cards, don't rank up your collection level too quickly. 

I found this out too late and was playing high level players who had been a part of the beta and had been playing the game for months and was getting decimated by their combos and cards. 

1 hour ago, johnny said:

can you play against the computer? i don’t really like mobile games where i’m playing other people. i mostly just fuck around on my phone with random games 

29 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Don't think so. At least not right now.

I believe your first few matches are bot matches not humans, at least from what I've heard. But there's no option to choose if you are playing a bot.

Or maybe if you do really badly they will put you against more bot opponents? :p

I think it's bot matches til you hit like Lvl 30 which I think is Bronze.  I think it was a breeze for me until I hit like 50.

There is a lot of RNG in the game, and building your deck.  Once you thit Tier 3 cards which is around Collection Lvl 450, you'll draw random cards from a very large pool of cards.  If you get the key cards that are game changers, it can make all the difference.  If you get unlucky it can be bit tricky to compete with a lot of the higher level combos.

On 11/25/2022 at 12:32 PM, johnny said:

can you play against the computer? i don’t really like mobile games where i’m playing other people. i mostly just fuck around on my phone with random games 

On 11/25/2022 at 1:06 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

Don't think so. At least not right now.

25 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

I think it's bot matches til you hit like Lvl 30 which I think is Bronze.  I think it was a breeze for me until I hit like 50.

There is a lot of RNG in the game, and building your deck.  Once you thit Tier 3 cards which is around Collection Lvl 450, you'll draw random cards from a very large pool of cards.  If you get the key cards that are game changers, it can make all the difference.  If you get unlucky it can be bit tricky to compete with a lot of the higher level combos.

Yeah, there are hidden bots at all levels, it sounds like. Basically, if it can't find you a match within 1-2 seconds then you get a bot.

I've been playing this game the last few days (thanks to this thread!) and it's quite fun. The gameplay loop is quick and easy, and the game itself performs wonderfully. Main complaint is that it's clearly a massive grind (no surprise), so I'll probably drop it once progress slows down enough. I wish there was a way to play against a friend and set a collection level cap.

40 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Yeah, there are hidden bots at all levels, it sounds like. Basically, if it can't find you a match within 1-2 seconds then you get a bot.

I've been playing this game the last few days (thanks to this thread!) and it's quite fun. The gameplay loop is quick and easy, and the game itself performs wonderfully. Main complaint is that it's clearly a massive grind (no surprise), so I'll probably drop it once progress slows down enough. I wish there was a way to play against a friend and set a collection level cap.

Pretty sure they are working on unranked/friends list type stuff.

It definitely needs it, because it sucks trying to test new decks and losing rank.

• Halal 1

23 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Pretty sure they are working on unranked/friends list type stuff.

It definitely needs it, because it sucks trying to test new decks and losing rank.

Yeah, the game's ranking system is really harsh, in that it's completely net-zero (if you win you gain the same points that the loser loses). Makes testing new ideas really tough (and punishing).

4 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

I wish there was a way to play against a friend and set a collection level cap.

They said in an update that friend vs friend play is coming.

3 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

I’ll just say this. Moon Girl + Devil Dinosaur = OWNAGE.

Don't fall in love with this combo... it works until you hit a certain rank and there are cards that counter this very well. Enchantress and Prof. X not to mention Shang Chi.

I tried this out. I find the opening to be really slow and tedious. Playing against bots that legitimately throw games so you can win and progress. The early deck is really limited. I don’t care for upgrading cards. The game includes the same BS RNG that got me to eventually quit hearthstone. An example, the first lane added rocks to your deck. The next two pulls are rocks. The 3rd lane pulls a card from your deck to play. My card is a rock and the other person’s is Hulk. The person immediately snaps. I concede. 

Sounds like the game cards gets more interesting but I will not suffer to get there. 

Argue Peace Out GIF

13 hours ago, Brian said:

I tried this out. I find the opening to be really slow and tedious. Playing against bots that legitimately throw games so you can win and progress. The early deck is really limited. I don’t care for upgrading cards. The game includes the same BS RNG that got me to eventually quit hearthstone. An example, the first lane added rocks to your deck. The next two pulls are rocks. The 3rd lane pulls a card from your deck to play. My card is a rock and the other person’s is Hulk. The person immediately snaps. I concede. 

Sounds like the game cards gets more interesting but I will not suffer to get there. 

Argue Peace Out GIF

A good example of why the snap mechanic is awesome. Knowing when to retreat is a big part of the strategy, so if the RNG goes completely against you, you can limit your cube losses.

Also, knowing when to snap is strategic. Snapping when you have a huge board advantage like that guy is dumb because the other person will likely concede and you don’t win as many cubes.

• Halal 1

18 hours ago, Amazatron said:

A good example of why the snap mechanic is awesome. Knowing when to retreat is a big part of the strategy, so if the RNG goes completely against you, you can limit your cube losses.

Also, knowing when to snap is strategic. Snapping when you have a huge board advantage like that guy is dumb because the other person will likely concede and you don’t win as many cubes.

I feel like people have snapped when it's close the last few rounds and it feels like a bluff, because I've come out on top more than I've lost. 

I'm still a low level so I'd rather just see how things play out because I haven't even seen all of the cards the game has to offer yet.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2022 at 12:59 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

They said in an update that friend vs friend play is coming.

Don't fall in love with this combo... it works until you hit a certain rank and there are cards that counter this very well. Enchantress and Prof. X not to mention Shang Chi.

Yeah Shang Chi wrecked my shit a couple of times already, lol. 

• 2 weeks later...