The FDA seeks to slash nicotine levels in cigarettes and shut down Juul.

I thought it was established a long time ago that "light cigarettes" (cigarettes with less nicotine) are bad because nicotine isn't the thing that's actually bad for you, so you're forcing people to smoke more of the stuff that's actually bad for you to get the same amount of nicotine? 

As for Juul, 

The FDA in 2020 barred the sale of all sweet and fruity e-cigarette cartridges and hasn’t yet allowed any to come back. The agency has cleared the way for Juul’s biggest rivals, Reynolds American Inc. and NJOY Holdings Inc., to keep tobacco-flavored e-cigarettes on the market. Industry observers had expected Juul to receive similar clearance. 

Just now, Jason said:

I thought it was established a long time ago that "light cigarettes" (cigarettes with less nicotine) are bad because nicotine isn't the thing that's actually bad for you, so you're forcing people to smoke more of the stuff that's actually bad for you for more nicotine? 

As for Juul, 

I get their pods auto delivered. 

F I guess. 

Gonna have to start taking weekend trips to PA to get flavored eliquid again.

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

I thought it was established a long time ago that "light cigarettes" (cigarettes with less nicotine) are bad because nicotine isn't the thing that's actually bad for you, so you're forcing people to smoke more of the stuff that's actually bad for you to get the same amount of nicotine? 

As for Juul, 

Yeah, that makes me laugh, just a total backward idea that must have sounded good in passing and nobody thought too hard about it. I get they are thinking you will give up smoking since they are so weak, but that’s not how it works when you’re addicted to something. 

It’s like if you made nicotine gum but with no nicotine, just a big chunk of tar.

12 minutes ago, Jason said:

As for Juul, 

Light cigarettes just have less airflow so that you draw in less smoke; otherwise they are exactly the same. 

1 minute ago, stepee said:

Yeah, that makes me laugh, just a total backward idea that must have sounded good in passing and nobody thought too hard about it. I get they are thinking you will give up smoking since they are so weak, but that’s not how it works when you’re addicted to something. 

It’s like if you made nicotine gum but with no nicotine, just a big chunk of tar.

If you're ok with current smokers dying off faster, it would in theory get you fewer new addicts.

• Sicko 1

2 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Haven’t smoking levels plummeted? Like it’s a rarity I see anyone smoking anymore. Less people smoking  is great but it seems like we’re pretty naturally already solving that problem.

Yeah, it’s gone way down and continues to trend downwards. On a society level it’s largely considered a disgusting habit and all traces of glamor and even the rebel rebel romanticism of it are mostly gone.

It seems like it’s being largely taken care of by other measures, just tax the fuck out of it like GB said. Make it $40 a pack, put all that tax money into health care.

12 minutes ago, stepee said:

Just put those nasty ass covers Canada has on them.

Every cigarette now has to come with a written warning around the filters too. I hate the smell and always will for cigarettes because of my dads chimney smoking side of the family (minus my uncle)

Yet I’m fine with my weed via bong/vaporizer 

2 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Shouldn't spend effort outright banning anything that doesn't impose an immediate danger. Tax the shit out of it though. I know cigarette taxes are pretty aggressive but don't know what they are exactly. But they should be twice whatever they are now.

Yup. And banning them will just make a black market for them, losing all those tax dollars. Which also has the possibility to make them cool to dumb kids again. 

Most of the smokers I knew were smoking really, really young compared to drinking and pot. 

• True 1

1 minute ago, BloodyHell said:

Yup. And banning them will just make a black market for them, losing all those tax dollars. Which also has the possibility to make them cool to dumb kids again. 

Most of the smokers I knew were smoking really, really young compared to drinking and pot. 

It might make a black market, but it will also reduce use, which is the point.

4 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

It might make a black market, but it will also reduce use, which is the point.

Will it? 

Did it reduce marijauna use?

I also just don't agree with bans on drugs in general. I think it's made the problems worse. Making habits and addictions illegal only hurts the poorest people.

I don’t know, I feel like a cigarette black market would be harder to get going.  People who do illegal drugs always had to deal with an illicit sale, your average cigarette smoker just picks them up with a morning coffee.  I’m not saying zero will turn to other means, I just imagine the number will be far lower.

2 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

I don’t know, I feel like a cigarette black market would be harder to get going.  People who do illegal drugs always had to deal with an illicit sale, your average cigarette smoker just picks them up with a morning coffee.  I’m not saying zero will turn to other means, I just imagine the number will be far lower.

There are cigarette black markets already, its just not popular in America because prices are comparatively low compared the USA. Other countries sell them for ~15$-20$ a pack, and in those places people absolutely go to black market. The Canadian cigarette black market on reservations is huge.

WWW.NEWSWIRE.CA

/CNW/ - Ontario's independent convenience store operators have a clear message for Finance Minister Rod Phillips and Premier Doug Ford, with respect to the...

15 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

Black market cigarettes will be harder to restrict compared to other drugs, because they'll look and smell the same as legal cigarettes.  It will also be just another item the cartels will gladly sell you, extending the war on drugs further, making more criminals out of users in the process when people are ultimately caught buying black market tobacco.  

I though liberals were smarter than this - I thought they understood that the war on drugs was a huge mistake, and have learned a valuable lesson.  Nope.  Just as dumb as conservatives when it comes to drugs. 

• Halal 2

41 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Black market cigarettes will be harder to restrict compared to other drugs, because they'll look and smell the same as legal cigarettes.  It will also be just another item the cartels will gladly sell you, extending the war on drugs further, making more criminals out of users in the process when people are ultimately caught buying black market tobacco.  

Black market cigarettes are already a thing.

e-cigarettes.jpg?w=1280
THEHILL.COM

The taxes undermine health goals by driving illicit shopping while inspiring rafts of other unwanted behavior.

They use to stop boats on Lake Ontario all the time with Reservation Cigarettes being shipped across the boarder into Buffalo. Was really bad I would say 25+ years ago but don’t hear too much of it anymore. Although I do know tons of people who still buy all their weed/cigarettes off the reserves because it’s so much cheaper and tax free. 

18 minutes ago, Jason said:

Black market cigarettes are already a thing.

e-cigarettes.jpg?w=1280
THEHILL.COM

The taxes undermine health goals by driving illicit shopping while inspiring rafts of other unwanted behavior.

Yeah I know.  The cops killed a black man over cigarettes.  The more we tax or outlaw tobacco, the more often these types of incidents will happen.  

• Halal 1