The FDA seeks to slash nicotine levels in cigarettes and shut down Juul.

I never said that a total ban on tobacco would work or be a good idea, don’t know where people got that idea.  Also, these may be loose terms, but it seems like a lot of the discussion is about a grey market for cigarettes and not a black one.  Legally buying cigarettes in one tax zone and smoking them in another isn’t what I’d think of as a black market, and reselling them is more of a grey market.  These aren’t outlawed items, it’s tax avoidance.  

9 hours ago, Dodger said:

Haven’t smoking levels plummeted? Like it’s a rarity I see anyone smoking anymore. Less people smoking  is great but it seems like we’re pretty naturally already solving that problem.

When I see someone smoking I often wonder what their life is like. I imagine wood paneling in their home. They bring a quiche to social events. They have a collection of VHS tapes.

You know their home has lead based paint that's chipping too.

• Halal 1

23 minutes ago, Ominous said:

When I see someone smoking I often wonder what their life is like. I imagine wood paneling in their home. They bring a quiche to social events. They have a collection of VHS tapes.

You know their home has lead based paint that's chipping too.

What the fuck is wrong with quiche?  It’s delicious.

• Halal 1

Growing up, most of my friends parents smoked.  It was pretty normal.  Even my parents smoked (they still do). 

However, I had a horrible experience at a sleepover at a friend's house one time.  After waking up the next morning, my friend's mom starts making pancakes for us.  While we were sitting at the table waiting for her to cook the pancakes, she's chain smoking over the oven, and she kept the ashtray right next to the pan - flicking her ashes into the ashtray, but from my vantage point, I could see some of the ashes falling into the pancakes.  

I ate the cigarette ash seasoned pancakes.  And it was probably more of a mental thing than an actual physical reaction to eating cigarette ashes, but I started to feel horribly sick.  A bit later, she drives me home, and I proceed to throw up the ashcakes all over the back seat and floor of that 1989 Chevy Celebrity.  I remember her being very upset and wanted me, an 11 or 12 year old kid, to clean up the vomit. That's a grownups job!  You don't make a kid clean up their own vomit!

Anyways, it's one of the reasons why I think smoking is so gross. 

Koreans spit when they smoke and it's horrific. And not just once or twice, again and again and again. I could take you to a going out spot on a Friday night, and the there is just a chain of spit going down the street. There will be spit on the floors of the bathroom cause guys smoke in there. Ugh I hate smoking.

8 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

Koreans spit when they smoke and it's horrific. And not just once or twice, again and again and again. I could take you to a going out spot on a Friday night, and the there is just a chain of spit going down the street. There will be spit on the floors of the bathroom cause guys smoke in there. Ugh I hate smoking.

I felt a tiny little bit bad for the handful of establishments that actually had proper ventilation systems to the extent that you couldn't even smell cigars in the building unless you were in the designated smoking areas with heavy duty fans constantly sucking the smoke out of the room (I remember being in one of said smoking areas a decent amount as a kid and the ventilation was so good that it was barely noticeable even in the smoking area) because in NYC at least they weren't exempted...but for the most part one of the best things to happen. The smoke mostly just didn't stay in the smoke area. Fucking LMAO that airplanes used to have smoking and non-smoking sections where like row 18 was smoking and row 19 wasn't. :silly: Don't love how they affected hookah bars though, considering the smoking is the entire fucking point.

Of course, Bloomberg also fucking ruined it but routinely flouting his own indoor smoking rules at fundraisers.