"Big Budget" Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio Games in Development

Keyser_Soze

369225f1dfdd9375f3143fdc1c429d0b.jpg
KOTAKU.COM

Bloomberg's report says this is what the 'Super Game' project was all about

The new Crazy Taxi has already been in development for over a year and the Tokyo-based entertainment group aims to release it within two to three years, the people said, asking not to be named as the information is not yet public. It was named alongside Jet Set Radio in Sega’s annual report a year ago on a list of intellectual property assets that Sega wanted to recapitalize by bringing them up to date. Both new games are in the early stages of creation and could still be canceled, the people said.

Sega partnered with Microsoft Corp. in November on its Super Game development, using the Azure cloud platform and potentially setting the stage for the addition of those titles to Microsoft’s Xbox Game Pass service. Sarah Bond, corporate vice president for gaming at Microsoft, at the time said that the duo will “reimagine how games get built, hosted, and operated, with a goal of adding more value to players and Sega alike.”

Maybe Phil was listening to me all along :thinking:

6 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

With the way that Crazy Taxi works, I can’t really see how they’ll make an engaging, worthwhile experience. At release, it had that arcade, novelty experience that lasted a few hours…then that was it.

This. I'm also not interested in JSR anymore, too. 

I fucking loved Crazy Taxi on my Dreamcast and would play it for hours. I would love a new game but I wonder how they go about doing that. Do they make it a bigger open world, more maps, keep it cartoony, and do bad religion/offspring return? For the love of Christ it better not be Imagine Dragons music 

although imagine if they went realistic like that Matrix demo 🤯

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, silentbob said:

I fucking loved Crazy Taxi on my Dreamcast and would play it for hours. I would love a new game but I wonder how they go about doing that. Do they make it a bigger open world, more maps, keep it cartoony, and do bad religion/offspring return? For the love of Christ it better not be Imagine Dragons music 

although imagine if they went realistic like that Matrix demo 🤯

your taxi cab is going to be a nft you buy and it goes up in value based on your successful fares and the music will be machine gun kelly

The sad thing is that Crazy Taxi could totally work in a Games as a Service model, but I don't trust Sega to not fuck it up.

The entire idea that they want to launch as a Fortnite-style "super game" is fundamentally flawed. Fortnite didn't get that way overnight, they built and iterated on it for literally years. It barely resembles the original version. To think that they're going to do "all the things" right off the bat is just setting themselves up for failure.

The frustrating thing is that literally anyone reading this probably knows it, but they're gonna try anyway.

11 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

With the way that Crazy Taxi works, I can’t really see how they’ll make an engaging, worthwhile experience. At release, it had that arcade, novelty experience that lasted a few hours…then that was it.

I bought Crazy Taxi at launch on the Dreamcast, and the next day I was already looking for something else to play. The problem with it was that it was extremely shallow and it had one map. There were a few driving challenges and that was it.

It could be engaging in the way that Forza Horizon 5 is. The difference is, Playground has also been building on and refining Forza Horizon for years, and they're pretty damn good at their formula. The idea that Sega is going to release a game on that level, right off the bat, is.... interesting.

Hell, I even think that Test Drive Unlimited sequel is facing an uphill battle. FH didn't just raise the bar, it threw it into the stratosphere.

17 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I bought Crazy Taxi at launch on the Dreamcast, and the next day I was already looking for something else to play. The problem with it was that it was extremely shallow and it had one map. There were a few driving challenges and that was it.

It could be engaging in the way that Forza Horizon 5 is. The difference is, Playground has also been building on and refining Forza Horizon for years, and they're pretty damn good at their formula. The idea that Sega is going to release a game on that level, right off the bat, is.... interesting.

Hell, I even think that Test Drive Unlimited sequel is facing an uphill battle. FH didn't just raise the bar, it threw it into the stratosphere.

It had 2 maps. Arcade and Original :nottalking: Personally I liked the new map the best and I was addicted to consistently beating my high score. 

• True 1

I see no reason why a decent budget Jet Set Radio couldn’t work in 2022. They might want to tighten the controls a bit but I think the core concept will still sell just as well as it did back then if not better due to nostalgia boost. Especially if they keep it nice and anti police.

Big Budget Crazy Taxi is the kind of thing that I will be happy is happening no matter what because it’s either going to be actually pretty good or just a total disaster so I’m in for it either way.

• 11 months later...

Not sure why people wouldn't be down for more JSR and Crazy Taxi? I loved both games back in the day, and given the reception of games like Cyberfunk and Hi-Fi Rush I see no reason why those addicting gameplay loops couldn't be recreated today? I miss both franchises a lot, so this would be welcome.

3 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Not sure why people wouldn't be down for more JSR and Crazy Taxi? I loved both games back in the day, and given the reception of games like Cyberfunk and Hi-Fi Rush I see no reason why those addicting gameplay loops couldn't be recreated today? I miss both franchises a lot, so this would be welcome.

Hey I said I really want both!

edit: I will buy almost any sega franchise from the mid 80s-early 00s day1 tho

• Hugs 1

I sunk a lot of hours into Crazy Taxi on Dreamcast. I kinda wish there were more games with decent budgets that are the sorts you can just hop on and play for a few minutes when you have time, outside of stuff like multiplayer shooters.

10 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I sunk a lot of hours into Crazy Taxi on Dreamcast. I kinda wish there were more games with decent budgets that are the sorts you can just hop on and play for a few minutes when you have time, outside of stuff like multiplayer shooters.

I pressed the hug button really hard here 

• Hugs 1

11 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I think Vampire Survivors is a good example of this type of game recently. Imagine a new Crazy Taxi as addictive as that. No one would be complaining.

• True 1

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think Vampire Survivors is a good example of this type of game recently. Imagine a new Crazy Taxi as addictive as that. No one would be complaining.

YUUUUPPPPPPP

I also loved Crazy Taxi on the Dreamcast. We had a wheel for the Dreamcast that we bought for Crazy Taxi and it was a blast. Not so sure it would work now, but maybe.

Jet Set Radio could definitely evolve into something modern and awesome.

I have no real idea what they mean by making these both part of some "super game."