"Big Budget" Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio Games in Development

Keyser_Soze

I have three Dreamcasts and a bunch of peripherals and games.  It's my favorite video game console and I consider JSR my most seminal videogame experience.

I would kill for updates to any and all Sega games from that era.  But the spirit of those games - the concentrated creative and artistic explosion and lack of regard for broad commercial appeal - is long dead.  Sega went out on a creative high that likely will never be matched in the industry, and today they are the same company in name only.

These being "super games" can only mean that they will be either mobile or service based experiences, if they exist at all.  I can't think of anything less true to the spirit of Jet Set Radio than for it to be launched as a conformist, blatantly commercial product filled with the industry's worst tendencies.

• Like 1
  • True 1

3 hours ago, ShreddieMercury said:

I have three Dreamcasts and a bunch of peripherals and games.  It's my favorite video game console and I consider JSR my most seminal videogame experience.

I would kill for updates to any and all Sega games from that era.  But the spirit of those games - the concentrated creative and artistic explosion and lack of regard for broad commercial appeal - is long dead.  Sega went out on a creative high that likely will never be matched in the industry, and today they are the same company in name only.

These being "super games" can only mean that they will be either mobile or service based experiences, if they exist at all.  I can't think of anything less true to the spirit of Jet Set Radio than for it to be launched as a conformist, blatantly commercial product filled with the industry's worst tendencies.

I agree with everything you've said here but as a beggar I can't be a chooser. I haven't heard about either series in so long that if this is what it takes to reignite interest in either brand and it gets us excellent remasters of the old games at least or something down the road then I'll take what I can get. I'm starved. :p 

There were 5 Crazy Taxi games ultimately, but only 1 and 2 are truly good/great. The only way to play them is to emulate them, which you can do pretty well, but it'd be nice to get a great PC remaster (if it's possible to keep the soundtrack as well, as that's a must). It would also be nice to make Jet Set Radio Future freely available, since that is locked to the original Xbox, which is still pretty hard to emulate games well (at least Jet Set Radio got an HD remaster you can get on PC in 2012).