D1P PSA: In case of a Russian invasion of Ukraine...

As it does appear that the Russian invasion of Ukraine is imminent, I thought that a D1P PSA was in order to provide some helpful advice as to its potential impact in North America, specifically the potential that the GRU trolls in the St. Petersburg basement will launch large scale cyberattacks on financial and other infrastructure-related targets in coordination with military action in Ukraine.

To that end, I'll  give you the same advice that I provided to my mother and sister: prepare as if a hurricane is coming.  Specifically, have actual cash on hand, fill the vehicles with gasoline, and stock up on non-perishable food items.

Hopefully, the GRU won't take things that far, but it's better to be safe than sorry!

This has been a D1P PSA.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Thanks 3

Good advice, even if the threat is remote.  I just filled up my truck and our little gas can.  I'll have my wife fill up her car later today.  FWIW, I went to the Chevron down the street and I was the only one getting gas.  I've pretty much stopped getting gas from Costco because it's always a circus.  I'd imagine that if a cyber attack does materialize, it's going to be mayhem at pretty much every gas station.

2 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Note that I said "potential impact in North America" :p

I know, I'm just joking that nobody really cares about the US's Hat. :devil:

I know we're going to be equally ****ed over due to our close connection and reliance on the same internet infrastructure. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to D1P PSA: In case of a Russian invasion of Ukraine...
5 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

Asking because I'm a noob when it comes to all this. If there were cyber attacks, what do you think they would be targeting? Major stuff like pipelines and power grids? Electronic payments companies? Anything and everything? :/:s

All of those are possibilities, some more likely than others.

It all depends on the degree of American retaliation they would be willing to endure.  I'd imagine that any initial attacks would be more of an "annoyance" than something truly significant.

I'm not saying this isn't possible, but how likely is it going to be, really? Republicans practically outright support Putin and you have a fair number of anti-NATO tankies on the left. Seems like a really good way for Putin to unite Americans against Russia would be to impact American civilian infrastructure.

11 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

I'm not saying this isn't possible, but how likely is it going to be, really? Republicans practically outright support Putin and you have a fair number of anti-NATO tankies on the left. Seems like a really good way for Putin to unite Americans against Russia would be to impact American civilian infrastructure.

It's probably not "highly" likely, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

And quite honestly, those groups that you cited would probably/definitely just keep blaming the current administration anyway for "provoking" the attacks from Russia in the first place, so I wouldn't count on them being part of any calculation by Moscow on whether or not to engage in cyberattacks.

At this stage in the political history of the United States, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING will "unify" the country in any way, shape, or form.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

It's probably not "highly" likely, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

And quite honestly, those groups that you cited would probably/definitely just keep blaming the current administration anyway for "provoking" the attacks from Russia in the first place, so I wouldn't count on them being part of any calculation by Moscow on whether or not to engage in cyberattacks.

At this stage in the political history of the United States, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING will "unify" the country in any way, shape, or form.

Not even a giant squid landing in the middle of New York City?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • True 2

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Also the right wing (media especially) has been openly pro Putin for a couple years now