Saints Row (PlayStation/Xbox/PC - EGS) - Information Thread, update: significant update on May 9 will overhaul practically every aspect of the game

Commissar SFLUFAN

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to A new "Saints Row" game will debut at Gamescom next Wednesday
10 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

With GTA taking 10+ years to release a new one, there is a void that Saints Row can fill. 

Best thing that could happen is that it takes enough players away from GTA online that Rockstar goes "ugh, fiiiiiiiine we'll make a new game, geez"

On 8/20/2021 at 5:59 PM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Saints Row > GTA

YEAH - I SAID IT!  COME AT ME, BRO!

I was a huge fan of GTA from GTAIII to San Andreas. Just could not get into the story or gameplay of IV.

Then tried Saint's Row The Third on a whim when it was a PS+ game.

Ever since then I have really preferred Saint's Row. The gameplay definately improved in GTAV. And the world is probably more detailed and alive than any SR game, but I found my only fun came from driving around causing chaos. The way GTA tries to tell this epic story while forcing you to play the role of mostly unlikable characters just kills the story mode for me.

I prefer the wackiness and over the top story and gameplay of SR and the freedom to have the Create a character be a blank slate that is just "you" in the story. I didn't even have any gripes about IV like some others did. I love platformers, so Infamous'ing up the gameplay more than made up for any shortcomings in the game.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Saints Row announced for 25 February 2022 release - PlayStation consoles, Xbox consoles, PC (EGS)
RHPzzPufGPeYenH7XXemma-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Volition wants to tell a "contemporary" story that people can relate to.

Saints Row is getting a complete reboot, and it's just called Saints Row. All those wacky antics from the four previous games, like diving into computers, killing zombies for Burt Reynolds, becoming president, and ruling the world with superpowers? None of that ever happened in Saints Row's new American Southwest-inspired world, Santo Ileso. 

This time around, the Saints crew is a close-knit group of four young friends, each with their own expertise: planner and business mind Eli, expert driver Neenah, DJ and smoothtalker Kevin, and the slightly off-the-rails Boss (that's you). As the Boss, you can still create a completely custom character (and choose one of eight voices) that's big or small, young or old, and anywhere in between.

The new crew seems like a spirited bunch. Their appetite for chaos is reminiscent of the old gang in the best ways, but I detect less meanness and cynicism this time around. Speaking only from the few minutes of cutscenes and gameplay I saw, the four feel like a proper friend group that accepts and supports each other, similar to Watch Dogs 2. I want to learn more about them, but I'm more excited about Santo Ileso itself, which basically looks like a truncated version of Las Vegas' desert region. Creative director Briant Traficante told press in a closed briefing that Santo Ileso is "one of the largest cities we've built for a Saints Row game."

That a new Saints Row game is in development isn’t a surprise. And after last week's blatant tease, neither is the fact that it's a total reboot of the decade-and-a-half-old open-world crime saga. I got a look at a gameplay demo of Volition’s freshly announced, co-op-enabled project, which is due out relatively soon on February 25, 2022 for PC as well as both current- and last-gen Xbox and PlayStation consoles. And speaking as someone whose favorite game in the series is Saints Row The Third, I was pleased to see that Volition seems to be aiming for a similar tone for the reboot, rather than the more GTA-clone feel of the first two and the over-the-top ridiculousness of the most recent two.

05.SAINTS_ROW_Self_Made_Lineup_4K.jpg
WWW.POLYGON.COM

New Saints in a new city return the crime-spree franchise to its 15-year-old origins

When we would talk about Saints Row 4, we would talk about how you were coming from the crack house, to the penthouse, to the White House,” Jim Boone, Volition’s chief creative officer, mused in a preview livestream two weeks ago. “By the time you’re done with Saints Row 4, you are the ruler of the galaxy. If you were to think, ‘Where would we take it from there?’ — we went to Hell and conquered that, even, right? So there truly isn’t anywhere to go past that. Thus, it was a pretty easy decision for us to go back to our roots.”

3871719-screenshot2021-08-25at4.19.12pm.
WWW.GAMESPOT.COM

The new Saints Row takes a step back for a (slightly) more grounded reboot that has you building a criminal empire.

Like the Santo Ileso Saints, Volition is building something new, but it's not entirely from scratch. The studio is clearly borrowing some tonal cues and mechanics from the existing franchise, and picking and choosing which parts to keep as it starts over. The result looks like Saints Row, but somewhere on the continuum between the crime drama Saints Row 2 and the more gonzo Saints Row: The Third. That may just be the sweet spot for making a whole new criminal empire.

saints-row-reboot-reveal-6.jpg
WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

We got some juicy new details about the upcoming Saints Row reboot, including the setting, characters and the fact that Insurance Fraud is still in it.

Boone said that they "have a lot of influences," with a few of the touch points being John Wick, Baby Driver, and Hobbs & Shaw. "Each of those brought a certain element that resonated with us." (The latter apparently for "that Saints Row flavour, kind of over-the-top nature that we're known for.") For me, the look of the place was one of the coolest things about the preview. It looks like a kind of grubby neo-Nevada smashed up with the spectacular lanscapes of Monument Valley.

All of that sounds like a roundabout way of saying "We took everything that people loved about Saints Row, and all the reasons people wanted it to come back, and just TOSSED IT ALL IN THE SHITTER!"

Yeah I know I'm being super harsh on this, but it is so, sooooooo far away from what I was hoping for. This is SR in name only.

Totally interested in this and I think they did the right thing here. They are right, there really is nowhere else to take franchise via its old trajectory, thy kind of covered it and we have those games still.  

Personally I think Saints 4 was fucking awesome and wouldn’t mind just a brand new city, that gameplay, and a new story hook, but I don’t think as many people want that.

But who knows they could always do dlc that turns it into that, or continue to get more outrageous from this new starting point. P