Saints Row (PlayStation/Xbox/PC - EGS) - Information Thread, update: significant update on May 9 will overhaul practically every aspect of the game

Commissar SFLUFAN

7 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

You didn't read the reviews, did you?

It's not like the original SR's at all. The game is being described as a "broken mess", not a dated experience with bugs. 

One reviewer talked about how they fired up the earlier games to see if they misremembered them  and ended up playing that longer than this pos. Nobody has said they feel like the old games, and the humor just doesn't work.

Obviously buy whatever you want, but people shouldn't be cosigning shit games like this with their purchase. They don't deserve it. 

I skimmed several video reviews, and the more negative ones complained about the story, characters and writing being bad in their opinion, the game feeling archaic/dated in terms of design/gameplay/mechanics and having a lot of bugs. I personally think that I’m going to find the story and characters entertaining in a dumb fun kind of way, I still like old school game design/gameplay/mechanics which is part of the reason why I like a lot of indie games and bugs and jank don’t bother me that much unless they’re constant and game breaking.

You’re calling it a shit game based on a few negative reviews without having actually played it yourself, I usually don’t come to conclusions about games until I play them because there are games that I like that critics don’t and games that I don’t like that critics do. The only critic that I fully trust is myself. I bought the game today, and I’m going to start playing it now.

• Halal 3

10 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

I skimmed several video reviews, and the more negative ones complained about the story, characters and writing being bad in their opinion, the game feeling archaic/dated in terms of design/gameplay/mechanics and having a lot of bugs. I personally think that I’m going to find the story and characters entertaining in a dumb fun kind of way, I still like old school game design/gameplay/mechanics which is part of the reason why I like a lot of indie games and bugs and jank don’t bother me that much unless they’re constant and game breaking.

You’re calling it a shit game based on a few negative reviews without having actually played it yourself, I usually don’t come to conclusions about games until I play them because there are games that I like that critics don’t and games that I don’t like that critics do. The only critic that I fully trust is myself. I bought the game today, and I’m going to start playing it now.

That's what I'm talkin about right there. I love your wisdom and experience with videogames in general. 

• Thanks 1

This game is a perfect example as to why I usually don’t listen to critics. I pretty much know if a game looks like something that I will enjoy or not, and everything that I’ve seen of this game looked like something that I would enjoy and it is. If other people don’t like this game because it’s not their thing then that’s perfectly fine, but calling it garbage and shit is taking it too far IMO. It’s not going to appeal to everyone because it’s not that kind of game, but it’s also not a dumpster fire like I’ve seen some critics and gamers claiming that it is. To me this is just another case of a lot of people jumping on a hate train.

I created my character (female with voice 4), and was laughing out loud throughout a lot of the beginning linear tutorial mission. The voice actress for this voice is totally self aware and comedic, a perfect fit for the protagonist of this silly game. And that’s exactly what this game is... silly. It’s tongue in cheek, and not meant to be taken seriously like a lot of people seem to be doing with it.

The story is a rags to riches tale, and an origins story for this new incarnation of the Saints. The interactions between the friends are purposely goofy, because it’s a parody of young adult sitcoms in a lot of ways. The tutorial mission of the game sets the tone of it right away, and it’s either your brand of humor or it isn’t. I’ve been personally finding it to be a nice change from so much seriousness in games these days.

The game itself is a throwback to the earlier Saints Row games in both design and gameplay, it seems like a Saints Row game that would have come out between 2 and 3 to me. It’s the most similar to those two games, especially 2 which is a good thing IMO since it’s my favorite in the series.

These are my early impressions of the game, I’m definitely glad that I didn’t listen to the haters because I’ve been enjoying it so far. It looks and runs good on my PS4 Slim, and other than for some texture pop-in I haven’t really experienced any technical issues. It’s not nearly as bad as a lot of critics have been making it out to be IMO.

Here’s a review that I agree with based on what I’ve played of the game so far:

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 2

12 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Thanks a lot for your impressions @Phaseknox

You’re welcome, but keep in mind that they’re early impressions. I’m going to play the game some more now, and post more impressions later. I’m not sure what you’re going to think of the game since I know that you like AAA games with the best graphics possible, and this is more of a AA game with last gen graphics. But if you like the other Saints Row games especially the older ones, then I think that you might like it. Just don’t expect it to blow your socks off from a technical standpoint, because it’s a mid-tier goofy and silly open world urban action game.

12 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I hope to get home tomorrow and play this. 

I’ve been reading the posts in your hospital thread periodically to see how you’ve been doing, and I’m sorry that you’re going through this right now. I hope that it’s nothing too severe, and that you have a speedy recovery.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

You’re welcome, but keep in mind that they’re early impressions. I’m going to play the game some more now, and post more impressions later. I’m not sure what you’re going to think of the game since I know that you like AAA games with the best graphics possible, and this is more of a AA game with last gen graphics. But if you like the other Saints Row games especially the older ones, then I think that you might like it. Just don’t expect it to blow your socks off from a technical standpoint, because it’s a mid-tier goofy and silly open world urban action game.

I’ve been reading the posts in your hospital thread periodically to see how you’ve been doing, and I’m sorry that you’re going through this right now. I hope that it’s nothing too severe, and that you have a speedy recovery.

I completely understand what I'm getting into with this game and I'm completely fine with it. I've watched a lot of footage and reviews and I'm pretty positive I'm going to enjoy this whacky over the top sandbox game. I'm going in with reasonable expectations and from most reviews I've seen and read the visuals are very good. I'm not sure how the PS4 version holds up to the next gen versions but I'm also not expecting mind blowing visuals. But most reviews said it looks pretty impressive.

Thank you for the kind words about my recovery. I'm pretty sure I'm going home tomorrow and I've improved a lot. 

4 hours ago, best3444 said:

I completely understand what I'm getting into with this game and I'm completely fine with it. I've watched a lot of footage and reviews and I'm pretty positive I'm going to enjoy this whacky over the top sandbox game. I'm going in with reasonable expectations and from most reviews I've seen and read the visuals are very good. I'm not sure how the PS4 version holds up to the next gen versions but I'm also not expecting mind blowing visuals. But most reviews said it looks pretty impressive.

I’m glad that you pretty much know what to expect from it, because you shouldn’t be disappointed that way. As for the graphics, they’re pretty good IMO. There’s a lot of detail to everything, and the lighting is really good. It especially looks good at night. Based on videos that I’ve seen the current gen console versions look pretty much the same as the last gen console versions, but with higher resolution and running at 60fps instead of 30fps.

I played some more of it, and it’s nice playing a third person open world urban action game again since they’re one of my favorite genres and we don’t get that many of them now like we used to. The game world is big, well designed and varied. It’s fun just driving around in it listening to the music on the radio stations, because there’s some really good songs on all of the stations and the fake advertisements are funny too. There’s a lot of optional side activities to do littered all over the map, I’ve been mainly going around doing them instead of playing the actual story missions. The game is just fun to play, and there’s a lot to see and do in it.

• Halal 1

I started it last night on deck (Windows boot) and it seems to run great at medium/30fps/native res. Shame I can’t just run it in steamos but owell. Had a blast through the opening, it’s definitely the kind of ridiculousness I enjoy. I like the vibe of the city, I enjoy desert towns/cities, so it’s a nice change of scenery for the series.

I already like my new character more than the old SR one, but maybe that’s just the voice acting.

I have a feeling this is going to look fantastic on my desktop, but I probably won’t try that until this weekend, but looking forward to it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Had a blast through the opening, it’s definitely the kind of ridiculousness I enjoy. I like the vibe of the city, I enjoy desert towns/cities, so it’s a nice change of scenery for the series.

I already like my new character more than the old SR one, but maybe that’s just the voice acting.

I’m glad that you seem to be enjoying it so far, I had a feeling that you would since you don’t seem to be as critical and nit-picky as some people are when it comes to games and just care if they’re fun or not which is pretty much how I am as well.

I also really like the game world since I too am a fan of desert towns and cities, and this one is designed realistically with a lot of detail. I like that it’s a mix of desert outskirts, and a big city area as it gives the world a little more variety than these types of more city based open world games tend to have. Cyberpunk 2077 did as well which I liked.

As for the boss that I created in this game, I really like her due to her personality and voice actress that I chose. I still think that I like the boss that I made in Saints Row 2 a little more, but this one comes close and is definitely my second favorite in the series. I don’t think that I could ever go back to the first Saints Row again now despite liking it back in the day, because you’re forced to play as a somewhat generic and unappealing silent male protagonist which is the worst aspect of the game IMO. It’s too bad that they never patched in a female character option, because I would want to play through it again if they did.

16 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

I’m glad that you seem to be enjoying it so far, I had a feeling that you would since you don’t seem to be as critical and nit-picky as some people are when it comes to games and just care if they’re fun or not which is pretty much how I am as well.

I also really like the game world since I too am a fan of desert towns and cities, and this one is designed realistically with a lot of detail. I like that it’s a mix of desert outskirts, and a big city area as it gives the world a little more variety than these types of more city based open world games tend to have. Cyberpunk 2077 did as well which I liked.

As for the boss that I created in this game, I really like her due to her personality and voice actress that I chose. I still think that I like the boss that I made in Saints Row 2 a little more, but this one comes close and is definitely my second favorite in the series. I don’t think that I could ever go back to the first Saints Row again now despite liking it back in the day, because you’re forced to play as a somewhat generic and unappealing silent male protagonist which is the worst aspect of the game IMO. It’s too bad that they never patched in a female character option, because I would want to play through it again if they did.

I did female voice 4 too, it’s what the opening defaulted too, and I was already attached by the time I could modify more. I also picked literally the first preset character because she looked cool to me already and I would probably just mess it up lol.

And yeah I don’t think this kind of big dumb action game, open world or not, I can look to reviews for any insight no matter how low anymore, because it’s this entire style of game I feel being written off.

38 minutes ago, stepee said:

And yeah I don’t think this kind of big dumb action game, open world or not, I can look to reviews for any insight no matter how low anymore, because it’s this entire style of game I feel being written off.

I agree, and being 52 I blame the younger generation of gamers for this of course. :p They grew up with different games than I did, and I think that’s part of why I don’t always see eye to eye with them when it comes to games these days. Of course some of you young’uns still know what’s what though. :cool:

11 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

Absolutely, and being 52 I blame the younger generation of gamers of course. :p They grew up with different games than I did, and I think that’s part of why I don’t always see eye to eye with them when it comes to games these days. Of course some of you young’uns still know what’s what though. :thumbup:

I think the younger gamers will still dig this, I blame the younger critics :P

So I played throught he opening of the game and did the first set of missions that set up the premise of the game. The game is VERY fun and I'm really liking the characters and tone and humor. I kept thinking of The Fast and Furious movies and I'd be surprised if that wasn't an inspiration for the devs. Graphics are great, I'm playing 1440p HQ to get those extra effects and only when there's an insane amount of shit happening on screen is when the frame rate hiccups. The game is TOUGH. I started playing on Sensei mode which is the second hardest and that was much too tough. Dropped it down to Entrepeneur and it's still tough. I have and easier time now once I started playing the game as run and gun shooter and not as a cover shooter. There are some weird gameplay quirks though. Having to press down to crouch is weird and the health regen mechanic is odd as well. You have to do takedowns to regen health but it's not always clear to me WHEN you can do them. Game is solid though and I haven't come across ANY gamebreaking bugs though. Just an occasional crazy physics thing but nothing insane.

23 minutes ago, stepee said:

I blame the younger critics

Me too. Game is nowhere near as bad as those reviews made it out to be. I fully expect Gotham Knights to get similar treatment as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

So I played throught he opening of the game and did the first set of missions that set up the premise of the game. The game is VERY fun and I'm really liking the characters and tone and humor. I kept thinking of The Fast and Furious movies and I'd be surprised if that wasn't an inspiration for the devs. Graphics are great, I'm playing 1440p HQ to get those extra effects and only when there's an insane amount of shit happening on screen is when the frame rate hiccups. The game is TOUGH. I started playing on Sensei mode which is the second hardest and that was much too tough. Dropped it down to Entrepeneur and it's still tough. I have and easier time now once I started playing the game as run and gun shooter and not as a cover shooter. There are some weird gameplay quirks though. Having to press down to crouch is weird and the health regen mechanic is odd as well. You have to do takedowns to regen health but it's not always clear to me WHEN you can do them. Game is solid though and I haven't come across ANY gamebreaking bugs though. Just an occasional crazy physics thing but nothing insane.

Me too. Game is nowhere near as bad as those reviews made it out to be. I fully expect Gotham Knights to get similar treatment as well.

One thing getting me is I keep expecting hold Y to be enter and leave vehicles, but it’s tap Y. And if you hold it just does nothing, I still haven’t quite adjusted!

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, stepee said:

One thing getting me is I keep expecting hold Y to be enter and leave vehicles, but it’s tap Y. And if you hold it just does nothing, I still haven’t quite adjusted!

That too. And it's HOLD Y to get on the roof. Tapping Y makes y bail in the middle of a high spped chase... as I learned unfortunately :p

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

That too. And it's HOLD Y to get on the roof. Tapping Y makes y bail in the middle of a high spped chase... as I learned unfortunately :p

Lol ohhhh hold y goes on the roof! that’s what was happening, I thought it was glitching out lol.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, stepee said:

I did female voice 4 too, it’s what the opening defaulted too, and I was already attached by the time I could modify more.

I switched to female voice 2 because it fits the look of my character more, but 2 and 4 don’t sound all that much different from each other.

16 hours ago, stepee said:

I think the younger gamers will still dig this, I blame the younger critics :P

Yeah, a lot of critics these days are fairly young and their taste in games don’t usually align with mine. On some other game message forums there’s been a lot of gamers jumping on the hate train for Saints Row based solely on critic reviews and YouTubers without playing it for themselves. I think that younger gamers tend to do this more than older gamers, because they’re usually more easily influenced by the popular opinion of things in general.

16 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

There are some weird gameplay quirks though. Having to press down to crouch is weird and the health regen mechanic is odd as well. You have to do takedowns to regen health but it's not always clear to me WHEN you can do them. Game is solid though and I haven't come across ANY gamebreaking bugs though. Just an occasional crazy physics thing but nothing insane.

I agree that pressing the directional pad down to crouch and then down again to stand is kind of weird, but I got used to it fast. However, the lack of any kind of cover system is an odd omission since a good amount of the gameplay is shooting.

As for when you can use your takedown again, it’s shown by a little round percentage meter on the bottom middle of the screen when you’re in combat, and it fills slightly when you kill enemies and when it’s full it becomes a purple Saints symbol indicating that you’re able to do a takedown. I kind of like this mechanic as it’s a neat way to recover health IMO.

By the way, I have barely encountered any bugs, glitches, or jank so far. One of the only bugs that I’ve gotten was with the outfits that I was browsing in a store not appearing on my character to show what they look like. That’s pretty much it. The game is not a broken buggy mess like some critics have been claiming that it is, at least not based on what I’ve played of it so far.