Saints Row (PlayStation/Xbox/PC - EGS) - Information Thread, update: significant update on May 9 will overhaul practically every aspect of the game

Commissar SFLUFAN

People have apparently been getting the game early, and posting videos of it on YouTube. Out of curiosity I watched a video that shows the beginning of the game, and based on it I think that the story is going to be better and more interesting than I thought that it was going to be. Only three more days to go.

• Halal 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Saints Row (PlayStation consoles/Xbox consoles/PC (EGS) - 23 August 2022) - Information Thread, update: 109 minutes of gameplay footage posted
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Saints Row (PlayStation consoles/Xbox consoles/PC (EGS) - 23 August 2022) - Information Thread, update: two hours of gameplay footage posted
6 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

...Why does this game begin with a tutorial level straight out of Call of Duty?!?!

Atleast in COD the npc's try to kill you. Between the guys standing around watching you while you murder there friends and the Stormtrooper level of firearm accuracy , I am not sure what was happening.

Game Information

Game Title: Saints Row

Platforms:

• PlayStation 5 (Aug 23, 2022)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Aug 23, 2022)
  • PC (Aug 23, 2022)
  • Xbox One (Aug 23, 2022)
  • PlayStation 4 (Aug 23, 2022)

Developer: Volition
Publisher: Deep Silver

Review Aggregator:
OpenCritic - 66 average - 47% recommended

Critic Reviews
Gaming Nexus - 9.5 / 10

Volition's gamble to reset and reground Saints Row pays off generously. A visual delight, with plenty of gameplay mechanics to keep players goofing off for days, and the Santo Ileso setting is one of the best in video game history. Sure, the shooting gets redundant after a while, but with so much to see and do you can go hours in between gun battles. Saints Row manages retain what players loved while feeling fresh and new. Other reboots, take note – this is how you do it.

Gamepur - 9 / 10

To be clear, this is the Saints Row game you know and love (or hate). Sure, they’ve slapped a new city and introduced a new set of characters into the formula, but everything is rooted in that purple-tinted glow.

The Beta Network - 9 / 10

Deep Silver Volition took a bold step in setting Saints Row around a whole new crew, and it absolutely paid off. Featuring a cast of interesting and entertaining characters, this narrative reverts back to the more serious nature of Saints Row 1 & 2. Add to this some really slick combat and driving mechanics, as well as a world filled to the brim with fun side quests and areas to explore, and you have an absolutely stellar entry into the Saints Row series!

PowerUp! - 8.8 / 10

Saints Row is bananas.

Game Informer - 8.5 / 10

It may not push your new hardware to the limit and is a little rough around the edges, but the latest Saints Row is everything it needs to be, delivering a wonderful comedic experience with plenty of depth.

COGconnected - 84 / 100

Despite some tech issues and inconsistent mission design, this kinder, gentler incarnation of Saints Row is probably a step in the right direction.

GAMES.CH - German - 84%

With minor swabs the Saints Row reboot maintains the madness of the series, delivering entertaining, effectfull action and humorous cutscenes and dialogue with a myriad pop cultural references. It is still not on eye level with GTA, but especially concerning customization of characters, cars or weapons, Saints Row sets a new standard for the genre.

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 84 / 100

Although Saints Row may fall short in some technical aspects, it is still incredibly fun. We enjoyed character customization, controls and some mission design.

XboxEra - 8.3 / 10

Saints Row is a big, over-the-top, extremely fun game and if they can sort out the bugginess quickly it’s an easy one to recommend.

Destructoid - 8 / 10

The campaign likely isn’t going to strike a chord with a lot of people, but the muck-about nature of the world map kept me playing longer than I expected. A sequel that leads into its biggest strengths has a lot of potential.

GameByte - 8 / 10

In a time where there’s more open-world crime games out than ever since the series’ last game, the Saints Row reboot still manages to carve out an identity for itself even in such a crowded landscape.

Gamersky - Chinese - 8 / 10

Although this reboot removed the superpowers, it seems to want to take the game back to before it was confused by the demons of hell, the Matrix, aliens, and much other chaos. But when people find that these Saints do not rely on superpowers to make trouble, and start to beat people with fists and iron bars, will they find them not interesting enough again?

GamingBolt - 8 / 10

Despite a couple of shortcomings and genre trappings in its open world department, Saints Row remains a thrill ride through and through - thanks to the supremely enjoyable core gameplay and varied mission locales.

Gert Lush Gaming - 8 / 10

I enjoyed the story but I stayed for the characters, Hands down one of the best groups of people in a Saints Row game in a long time.

Hey Poor Player - 4 / 5

What the Saints Row reboot truly reminds us is that — whatever situation they may find themselves in — the Saints do it for each other. 2022’s Saints Row is less about reeling it in and more about coming home. And in the house that Santo Ileso’s Saints built, “damn, it feels good to be a gangster.”

IGN Spain - Spanish - 8 / 10

Saints Row becomes the reboot that the most traditionalist fans of the saga needed.

PSX Brasil - Portuguese - 80 / 100

In many ways, Saints Row is a game that looks back on its past with reverence, trying to keep much of what worked in the past while updating it for a new generation of players (and consoles). It manages to do it with many more hits than mistakes, but it's still a game that shouldn't please any player. If you are a fan of its tone and proposal, it is undeniable that there are dozens of hours of fun here.

PlayStation Universe - 8 / 10

Saints Row is a necessary reboot for a series that was getting out of hand (pleasingly so, but still), and Volition has made smart decisions in retooling the origins of the purple-clad gang without losing that silly, violent, and crude spirit. It leaves room for future improvement and escalation, and that's an exciting place to put the Saints in.

Saving Content - 4 / 5

Other than a few hiccups I’ve encountered, I am loving my time in the game. Even if the car physics aren’t the best, they are nowhere near unmanageable. Flying around the world in helicopters, drifting cars, and weaving in between traffic is just as satisfying as ever. Gunplay is tight, and if you’re the type to pull the aim trigger and have it lock on, you’re going to love the way this plays too. The writing is corny, but in the right kind of corny, I can respect. Doing all there is to do in Santo Ileso will keep me hopping back into this world more and more. Now excuse me as I wrap this big ass gold chain around my neck and get back to my criminal empire. The Saints are back, baby.

SomHráč.sk - Slovak - 80%

The new Saints Row game is simply Saints Row with everything positive and negative that comes with that. The only question is whether that will be enough for people that aren't already fans of the series.

TheXboxHub - 4 / 5

Which gang you fall into will be completely up to you. For us, we’ve always been on the side of the Third Street Saints and with the rebooted Saints Row, will continue to do so.

Thumb Culture - 4 / 5

So what does all this mean for the Saints Row score. Well the game isn’t perfect, there are the odd little nuance of the game, but boy oh boy is everything just fun about the game. It doesn’t take itself seriously, which is easy to do when previous iterations of the franchise have allowed you to fight using a large purple dildo.

Too Much Gaming - 8 / 10

The new Saints Row isn’t making any bold statements here or pushing any limits. This release is Volition's way of saying that the series is back and that they have not forgotten why they’ve been able to release four mainline titles with this amount of silliness in the past. The essence of the Saints Row series is intact with this reboot, just slightly altered to fit modern tastes. It’s just unfortunate to not see drastic changes to the game’s core systems like combat, which could have propelled the series to new heights.

Twinfinite - 4 / 5

Overall, anyone who was a fan of the franchise before this will likely still love Saints Row, as the comedy, goofiness, and chaotic gameplay is still at the game’s core. And while I wasn’t a fan of how they went about the story, there’s definetly some promise in regards to its more grounded focus, as it seems clear this reboot was made to push the series into an interesting new direction.

WayTooManyGames - 8 / 10

Saints Row is much better than its terrible reveal trailer made it look like, with some great controls, a ton of side content, a ludicrous character creator, and some truly amazing story missions, but its tone suffers from a proper lack of direction. At times, it resembles the ultra-imbecilic Saints Row we all know and love. Other times, it tries desperately to pander to a dab-appreciating, hashtag-tolerant, Twitter-addicted, Buzzfeed-consuming Gen Z generation that would never consider buying a game in this franchise to begin with. It’s a game that feels like it was written by two completely antagonistic committees. If you can ignore its tonal discrepancies, as well as some glitches, you’ll have a great time with yet another strong outing from Volition.

Everyeye.it - Italian - 7.8 / 10

The reboot of Saints Row offers a fun experience

GameGrin - 7.5 / 10

A fantastic addition to the Saints Row catalogue, though it's marred by a bunch of glitches and bugs that keep it just shy of excellence.

GamingINTEL - 7.5 / 10

Saints Row offers players a welcome return to a familiar franchise but fails to push the boat out. There's plenty to enjoy for new and returning fans but in dialing back the wackiness, the franchise might have lost its greatest strength.

Glitched Africa - 7.5 / 10

Saints Row is an incredibly fun game. The bugs often get in the way but underneath there’s an enjoyable sandbox experience here where you can truly be your own boss.

IGN Italy - Italian - 7.5 / 10

A known series makes its comeback to the scenes with a game which is, overall, funny, engaging and explosive in its own craziness. Too bad that there are too many bugs.

PlayStation LifeStyle - 7.5 / 10

This may not be as over-the-top as previous Saints Row games, but it could be the start of something great.

Cerealkillerz - German - 7.4 / 10

Saints Row wants to return to the old open-world days, but forgets to take along current practices such as mission design or visuals. Entertaining, silly and charming, it is able to fill a little-occupied field in the genre. But it is not a real reboot. It's more of a scaling back of the craziness and a rehashing of old virtues. But anyone who can appreciate this will have fun in Santo Ileso for a long time.

Checkpoint Gaming - 7 / 10

Saints Row successfully reboots the much-loved franchise, although things don't feel as wild or chaotic as I was expecting or hoping. The main campaign is a short but enjoyable romp with some decent creativity, but the open world template doesn't innovate beyond the trappings of the genre. Side missions and distractions are amusing yet repetitive, and the adventure is lacking in polish overall. Still, being able to play the entire experience with a mate by your side makes for a lot of laughs, and if you can forgive the cringe dialogue, there are some fun moments between all the meandering that still makes it worthwhile. I can't say that the Saints are "back and better than ever", but gearing up for a modest romp with a lot of explosions and strong personalisation will certainly set them up for a roaring sequel if given the chance.

Dexerto - 7 / 10

Saints Row is everything you’d expect from a new entry into the franchise: It’s full of larger-than-life story beats, a LARPing subplot, oodles of customization, and outlandish Skills to take down your enemies with. While it doesn’t reinvent the wheel by any means, your Boss and their three companions are where this reboot truly shines — and it’s a joy to experience Santo Ileso and all that it has to offer with them.

FingerGuns - 7 / 10

The Saints have come marching in once again and while Santo Ileso offers a fun playground for these reborn renegades, it’s somewhat marred by a wealth of graphical issues, some underwhelming gunplay and a predictable narrative. Having said all that, you can customise your character into an orange, hurl yourself into traffic to make money and throw a self-propelled football at enemies to send them into space. It’s Saints Row as you remember, for better or worse, with a new coat of paint and refurbished for modern times.

GameSpew - 7 / 10

For a game all about building a crime syndicate, the fact that engaging in such activities feels so optional on the main path is a crime itself. It also won’t come as much surprise to Saints Row fans that this is just as scrappy as ever before. Still, it’s ridiculously enjoyable nonetheless.

Kakuchopurei - 70 / 100

Compared to Saints Row IV and Saints Row The Third, this reboot feels more like a glorified retread than an evolution. But to people new to the sandbox crime game genre and who just want a lot of punchy fun & surprises out of their crime games for 25+ hours? It's a decent introduction and a case study on how to make the genre seem fun again, as well as keep the series grounded to its Grand Theft Auto-inspired roots.

LevelUp - Spanish - 7 / 10

Saints Row is an experience with peculiar contrasts Volition truly tried to reinvent the franchise for a new generation, but not wanting to betray its roots it was unable to evolve in the way it needed to be truly relevant in the midst of 2022.

It is an entertaining and fun experience that many will have a good time with, of that we have no doubt. However, it has clear flaws and antiquated systems, so it will probably be remembered without much shame or glory.

PCGamesN - 7 / 10

Sometimes repetitive, sometimes eye-rolling, and sometimes just plain busted, Saints Row 2022 is far from perfect, but that doesn't stop it from being a chaotic good time.

Paste Magazine - 7 / 10

Reinvention can just as easily be a prompt for a bold new swing, and while Saints Row feigns one or two, it could stand to commit more fully to them. This retooling/reboot/reenvisioning doubles down on the past in an intentional, if short-lived, nostalgia play, but there has to be more there, right? If we should see more of these Saints-and I earnestly do want to-I would hope it would be with something fresh to say or show. Until then, Saints Row still has some growing to do.

Press Start - 7 / 10

The new Saints Row doesn't break any new ground, however it's still a relatively fun time. If you're a fan of the series, there's no reason not to give this one a spin.

Push Square - 7 / 10

Saints Row is a largely successful reboot, even if it sometimes feels dangerously outdated in terms of open world design. Its story and characters can be hit and miss, but the experience is carried by fun gameplay and an endearingly dumb sense of humour. Despite the new faces, Saints Row is definitely still Saints Row - just bigger and probably better.

SECTOR.sk - Slovak - 7 / 10

Saints Row offers a decent reboot of the franchise, although the production costs don't go up to the level of GTA. The focus on fun, action and variety of activities is strong. The co-op helps the fun even more.

Shacknews - 7 / 10

Rebooting the series, Saints Row tries to modernize its approach and themes but struggles at times to stick the landing.

Spaziogames - Italian - 7 / 10

Saints Row is fun, but it feels like it forgot that we are in 2022 and not in 2013 anymore, 'cause it really has nothing new or fresh to offer.

The Independent - 7 / 10

Despite all its flaws (and there are more than a few), Saints Row is undoubtedly fun and explosive in its over-the-top presentation. While its punctuated with memorable moments, they are often diminished by the repetitive nature of its side content, which makes up a significant portion of what Saints Row has to offer.

If you’ve been a longtime fan of the series’s previous entries, you will find plenty to enjoy with this latest installment – just don’t expect much in the way of innovation.

TheSixthAxis - 7 / 10

After so many facelifts, there were fears Saints Row would fail to recapture the unconventional beauty of the earlier games, but this reboot proves how adept Volition is when it comes to reinventing their flagship franchise. This latest outing is my favourite game in the series to date, so while basic combat and dips in visual quality are disappointing, they did little to keep me away from Santo Ileso. You'll struggle to find anything ground-breaking though this sandbox is bursting with entertaining things to do, ideal for sharing with a partner in crime.

Tom's Hardware Italia - Italian - 7 / 10

If you've jumped at breakneck speed to this point to decide whether or not to buy Saints Row on the basis of the little number on the side, know that you've made a huge mistake. Volition's new production is a good restart for the series, both in terms of narrative and in terms of rethinking the gameplay. Saints Row's real flaws are all to be found in an endless series of bugs due to a failure to clean up the final code.

TrueAchievements - 7 / 10

Saints Row doesn't try to reinvent the wheel, but it doesn't need to — it's a solid open-world adventure with loads going on, and one that is really only a good helping of polish away from sitting among the genre's better games.

WhatIfGaming - 7 / 10

Saints Row is a return to form, and some of the most fun I’ve had in an open world in a while. It manages to strike a good balance between the wackiness of previous entries with grounded combat mechanics, and tone. The Boss is hilarious as ever, and a true murder machine completely loyal to their friends through thick and thin. It’s bogged down by a number of bugs that take you out of the experience and uneven presentation with dated elements and plenty of pop-in. Despite these issues, it manages to remain true to its roots with smart additions to the series’ open-world formula.

Arabhardware - Arabic - 6.5 / 10

Saints Row is a "fun" game, but that's the only way I can describe it. Will you get pleasure from your experience with it? surely. But if you expect to get a distinct and different open world title that goes back to the strong foundation of the series, you won't find that here, especially with huge amount of technical problems, forgettable characters, and missions. Despite this, Volition is still on the right track with the series, and they will surely learn from this game's mistakes while working on the next one, so let's hope it doesn't disappoint...

Game Revolution - 6.5 / 10

The Saints Row (2022) reboot takes things back to basics but with very little push for innovation.

GamePro - German - 65 / 100

Saints Row sometimes offers wacky fun even in the reboot, but stands in its own way with grind and repetitive tasks.

Softpedia - 6.5 / 10

Saints Row raises mixed emotions: on the one hand it has its moments when it is fun and manages to engage you in its criminal empire building fantasy. But for each high you have at least one low, that turns the game into a technical mess and makes you feel like you are playing a not so pretty GTA clone.

Bazimag - Persian - 6 / 10

The new Saints Row is exactly what we expect to get from a title in this franchise, the crazy action, the juvenile humor and the abundance of everything purple! Problem is that all of this feels a little stale by today’s standards and considering how out there the two recent games before this were, it all also feels a little dialed back too, which may be disappointing for some of the older fans of the series that wanted to new game to get even more crazy.

But Why Tho? - 6 / 10

While there are definitely elements of Saints Row that really annoyed me, I still generally had a good time with the game. If you consider yourself a Saints Row fan you’ll probably find plenty to enjoy in the newest entry, even if some of its elements are weaker than others. If you were hoping for a major new take on the series or what it could be, however, you’ll be left sorely wanting.

Cultured Vultures - 6 / 10

The Saints Row reboot wants to tell a new, modern story, but the gameplay framework surrounding it is starting to show a bit of rust.

Digital Trends - 3 / 5

Saints Row is a perfectly fine open-world game. Just don't expect any surprises, as the reboot lacks much character.

GGRecon - 6 / 10

I have a lot of love for this new reboot of Saints Row, and I have high hopes they will put it right with bug fixes. When they do, I hope to come back and amend this review and make it a glowing one. Until then, I have to caution you to hold off on spending your money, but hopefully not for too long.

GameSpot - 6 / 10

The Saints Row reboot ditches the over-the-top aspects of its predecessor, but still feels like it's trapped in the past.

GamesFinest - German - 6 / 10

Where for years one superlative followed the next, where exaggeration had to serve as a leitmotif instead of a stylistic device, where blunt self-indulgence justified an entire franchise, developer Volition now courageously trades its unique selling proposition for... well, for what, actually? Apparently against an unjustified shitstorm, an angry crowd of fans and yes, a successful new beginning. Saints Row shows itself to be much more grounded, more tangible and just in this way can make use of a modern interpretation of "exaggeration". According to the motto: back to accessibility, back to the mass market. A return that the franchise unmistakably needed more than badly. Admittedly, Volition has definitely put the game in reverse gear a bit too ambitiously. Where the tone of the game is clearly more modern, entire gameplay elements as well as the visual design seem completely out of time. A trivial skill system, a lifeless game world, flippant gunplay all seem out of place in 2022, but also undeniably bring those glorious oldschool vibes. Saints Row is still full of absurdities that are unparalleled, but is discrepantly wonderfully unexciting in terms of gameplay. If Volition could now bring the technical shortcomings into the modern age, I would completely agree with the US studio when they say: As soon as a franchise can't take any more superlatives, you just have to go back to the beginning.

GamesRadar+ - 3 / 5

When you focus on the various Criminal Ventures at your disposal, you can unearth a lovely little buffet of variety

Gfinity - 6 / 10

Saints Row 2022 is a time capsule of a game and era many have moved passed. Instead of building on the legacy of Saints Row, it feels like a tired retread of a game we already have.

God is a Geek - 6 / 10

You could consider Saints Row a love letter to a time when games worried less over quality and more about fun, but that doesn't excuse its faults.

Guardian - 3 / 5

With its wonky sets, dodgy cameras and bizarre plotlines, this reboot of the gangster adventure series is haphazard but joyful.

Hardcore Gamer - 3 / 5

Technical issues notwithstanding, Saints Row is not without its shortcomings, but it succeeds more often than it doesn't.

IGN - 6 / 10

Saints Row delivers no shortage of shallow shoot 'em up thrills, but it's a very familiar and uninspired brand of sandbox fun.

Inverse - 6 / 10

It’s been nine years since Saints Row 4, and this new entry feels like a back-to-basics reboot. But technical issues, bugs, and many more little frustrations conspire to make this a middling experience at launch. It’s unfortunate because when Saints Row fires on all cylinders, it’s an absolute blast with some truly lofty high points.

PC Gamer - 60 / 100

The knockabout glee of classic Saints Row ultraviolence is here, but held back a little by new-found restraint.

TheGamer - 3 / 5

Like a little train going up a mountain: At least it's fun. at least it's fun, at least it's fun. The further I got through the game, the less I felt that was true.

TrustedReviews - 3 / 5

Saints Row now feels like a mediocre open-world action game, becoming just like all of the games at which the series used to poke fun. Mission objectives are bland and repetitive, while the story is boring and lacks cohesion. Worst of all, the slapstick jokes rarely land and are arguably more cringeworthy than they are funny.

VG247 - 3 / 5

Outside of the super set-piece main missions, it’s easy to bounce off the more repetitive elements of the open-world.

We Got This Covered - 3 / 5

Saints Row is ready and willing to leap back into the mainstream, though it's unfortunately weighed down by a few odd design decisions and a handful of technical issues.

Xbox Achievements - 60%

As a new start for the eponymous gang, Saints Row ticks most of the boxes, but falls short in offering up anything fresh. A litany of technical and visual bugs also conspire to spoil the party, making for a solid enough, enjoyable, but ultimately uninspired, return for the series.

AusGamers - 5.4 / 10

Ultimately the new Saints Row is a disappointment, especially if you’re a fan of the series.

Game Rant - 2.5 / 5

Saints Row has its moments, but the game is weighed down by ugly graphics, bad shooting, and a story full of obnoxious characters.

Gameblog - French - 5 / 10

Saints Row had a unique opportunity to come back and be a good summer game. Most of the time, its fun, especially in co-op, thanks to his arcade feel and humour  But there are too many flaws and way too many bugs to enjoy the title completely. Maybe some updates could fix things but not entirely.

Screen Rant - 2.5 / 5

Saints Row is glitchy and feels rushed.

WellPlayed - 5 / 10

Unambitious, dated, and dreadfully lacking in polish, only series fans eager for more classic Saints gameplay need apply.

AnaitGames - Spanish - 4 / 10

The reboot of Volition's once-popular series tries to adapt to our times but fails to have, at its core, anything different or of its own to say.

EGM - 2 / 5

Saints Row pairs a great open-world city and respectable gameplay fundamentals with repetitive, dated mission design, a story that never finds its footing, and too many bugs to count. Depending on what you prioritize in a game, you may get some enjoyment out of it, but at best you're looking at a diamond in a whole lot of rough.

GamesHub - 2 / 5

If you find yourself in the right frame of mind, the unhinged nature of Saints Row can be cathartic, particularly if you find yourself in a good series of missions where the writing and humour aren’t too manic, and the action isn't too humdrum. In the end, Saints Row succeeds in recalling and refreshing the affable personality of the dormant series, but this reboot is simply a return, not an evolution.

Metro GameCentral - 4 / 10

A tragically outdated open world adventure that almost has more in common with Goat Simulator than Grand Theft Auto, despite some moderately entertaining mechanics.

Stevivor - 4 / 10

Saints Row gets the gang back together, but needed more time to complete its comeback.

VGC - 2 / 5

It’s a below average open world game that’s stuffed to bursting with bugs, and the best thing we can say about it is that making our Tobias Fünke-inspired character crouch over and do the wanker gesture while he walked down the street made us laugh. Probably not quite worth the price of admission.

VideoGamer - 4 / 10

Indeed, there remains about Saints Row the air of a slightly desperate brainstorming session.

ACG - Wait for Sale

"The game isn't very fun, is not polished, and feels like no one knew what they wanted to make. A buffet of a game offering small tidbits of everything, but they forgot the seasonings and sadly the fish is bad."

Ars Technica - Unscored

When I got the wingsuit working, I could fly decent distances while diving to maintain speed, then pull up on my joystick to catch more air and keep going. But the wingsuit is just a wingsuit, and in a series like Saints Row, that feels like a missed opportunity. Why not let wingsuit flyers shoot a gun, fly higher with a jetpack, or grab onto power lines and fling themselves around? After I experimented with flight a few times, I found the system too unwieldy for consistently convenient travel and leaned on fast travel or cars.

Entertainium - Caution

I did enjoy what I got to see of the characters that make up your new Saints crew, for as ridiculously all over the place as their personalities are. At the start of Saints Row, you’re already an established group of friends that had no business being as tight as they are, with the protagonist initially being cog in a paramilitary group’s machine and the rest individual members of each of the ruling gangs in town, all unhappy with how things are run and wanting to make something for themselves. It’s a silly setup and a tinsy bit more grounded and held back than usual Saints Row, but the idea of putting together a new crew would’ve made for an otherwise tremendous game. Sadly, Saints Row is a halfway reinvention at best, one that both fans and newcomers to the franchise are likely to be bored with due to how repetitive and by-the-numbers it turns out to be.

Eurogamer - No Recommendation

Volition's Saints Row reboot won't set the world alight, but there's a punchy game here with some pleasant surprises.

GameOnAUS - Meh

I find myself ambivalent about Saints Row – it’s a well done and necessary reboot with a great setting, fun mechanics, and good writing, but the story was just not paced well and there were the graphical and AI glitches that held the experience back to me.

GameXplain - Mixed

Video Review - Quote not available

GamingTrend - Unscored

We do need to take a beat and talk about the bugs in Saints Row, and there’s plenty of them to go around. My gun flipped around and wouldn’t fire while facing the wrong direction. The car physics are more springy than a Super Bouncy Ball. Running over a fire hydrant will shoot a tank-sized vehicle upwards and onto a nearby roof with little effort. Vehicles disappear and reappear. I even had a moment during a mini-boss where Eli went down, and once resurrected stood there doing nothing repeating his lines for being downed. That and the boss wouldn’t get to his cooldown for me to damage him, and for whatever reason I wasn’t taking any damage. And none of that addresses the current state of cooperative play.

One More Game - Buy

Saints Row doesn’t exactly add anything new to the franchise, taking a back-to-basics approach and reliving what made Saints Row 3 a fantastic title by building up on that. While the reboot makes it cater to certain sensibilities, the new direction will not be for everyone. Hopefully, it won’t deter you from having a good time.

The series fanbase will either love or hate the game because of this sharp change in direction, which is especially felt in the new cast of characters and the writing. Should you choose to overlook these, you can expect a lot of mindless and unapologetic fun for hours.

Saints Row is not a perfect game, but the components that make it a good game are polished enough. The visuals and presentation could’ve used a bit of work, but Saints Row delivers on an open world front that is fun and entertaining despite the tired formula that could use a fresher take next time.

Polygon - Unscored

The “Should you buy this game?” part of this review is easy: If you enjoyed previous Saints Row games, you will probably like this one, and if you’ve never played one, this is a decent onboarding point.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Unscored

You can spend many happy hours in the new Saints Row game, without it leaving a lasting impression. The story is rushed, and for all the slick shooting and driving this game doesn't feel fresh.

Skill Up - Unscored

The Escapist - Unscored

Washington Post - Unscored

There is no shortage of enjoyable things to do in “Saints Row,” but doing them means putting up with a severe lack of polish. As it currently stands, “Saints Row” is barely playable. It’s good, mindless fun, but I cannot recommend it in good faith. I offer a little prayer that a day one patch can address some of these concerns, and that the studio has a long-term plan to salvage this promising title.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, stepee said:

might wait for phase’s impressions now :P

49 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

These reviews just made it a 10/10 for him. Game of the century! :p

The reviews are pretty much what I was expecting, I have a feeling that I’m going to agree with the positive ones more than with the negative ones because the negative ones seem to be complaining a lot about the game feeling archaic/dated and having a lot of bugs neither of which I expect to bother me that much. In fact, feeling like an older game is probably a positive in this case because I like the older Saints Row games more than the newer ones. Of course I don’t like bugs, but I know that they’re to be expected in games at launch especially open world ones. As long as none of them are game breaking, they shouldn’t affect my overall enjoyment of the game too much.

33 minutes ago, stepee said:

I still enjoyed Agents of Mayhem, I need to know if it’s better or worse than that!

I just bought Agents of Mayhem again digitally because it was on sale for $3, and I figured for that price I would give it another chance. I played a little of it, and I was enjoying it more than I did back when I originally played it. The art design and graphics are quite good, and it plays fairly solid. I’m still not a big fan of its repetitive wave shooter design formula, but I don’t think that I’m going to find it to be as much of a turnoff now as I did before.

• Halal 1