Checking in on the right wing critical race theory panic

4 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:
211203140404-01-izzy-tichenor-vigil-1109
WWW.CNN.COM

Some Black students are being told they stink while others are being called...

"Look how lazy these kids are. When I was their age there was bullying but I didn't let it phase me!"

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2022 at 5:03 PM, Jason said:

the holocaust isn’t part of my curriculum (i do medieval history) but i still spent a day talking to students about it. and i know 8th grade english classes here talk about the holocaust. that’s a crazy ass number. 

I honestly don't remember what, if any, teaching I had on the Holocaust in school. I was well aware of it, since I was a history nerd and read stuff like that on my own. I read Maus on my own time back then. I took a Holocaust class as an elective in college, too.

Seems like I recall we never made it to much 20th century history in school. Always seemed to run out of time.

4 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I honestly don't remember what, if any, teaching I had on the Holocaust in school. I was well aware of it, since I was a history nerd and read stuff like that on my own. I read Maus on my own time back then. I took a Holocaust class as an elective in college, too.

Seems like I recall we never made it to much 20th century history in school. Always seemed to run out of time.

i know teachers that even today only get to like vietnam. drives me crazy they spend forever on shit like fucking farming in the 1700s. students want to learn about more recent history anyway. 

5e60f54ca0cbf19614e867bb53e9113a.png
WWW.THEONION.COM

PLANO, TX—In a purported effort to stop the rise of woke, leftist Critical Race Theory in the classroom, a local school district issued a decision Thursday censoring all of The Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain except for its copious use of the n-word. “This move will allow educators to focus on the key…

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@b_m_b_m_b_m

2 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

(This is what republicans want here at home but this isn’t the thread for it)

This is what they are DOING here at home.

1f107036-a69a-4336-b02b-18054fe62ef6-dea
WWW.NEWS-LEADER.COM

Kim Morrison, a high school English teacher in Greenfield, was notified mid-March that her contract was not renewed for the next year.

Posted this HERE as this is a more appropriate thread than the critical race thread.

• 2 weeks later...

The administrators/teachers unions aren't helping themselves -- one example from the last week from the union that represents the teachers at my kid's school.  The strangest parts are in the first two articles and the middle school lesson plans.  Whether you agree with the content or not, it's clear that a lot of parents would have issues with the politics in this paper.

On a tangent, this is one of the strangest things I have read in a long time about someone travelling to a park on the outskirts of a Hamilton suburb:

We took a breather at the Conservation centre’s main office to admire the train that used to run along the trail. And most importantly, we stopped for water, washrooms and ice cream. The grassy areas were filled with families picnicking. Many were large groups of Muslims and South Asians. The smell of their barbecues was enticing.

An unexpected outcome of the coronavirus lockdown is that more people of colour are exploring natural areas. I have never seen so many in my decades of cycling and hiking through ravines in the city, and parks and conservation areas further afield.

Yet, we were the only Black people on the bike trail. We must have passed over three hundred cyclists that day.

Black Faces in White Nature Spaces

People are more willing to try new activities when they see someone like themselves doing so. Outdoor recreation is no exception. There is a lack of Black faces in adverts from conservation groups, provincial and national parks, and companies selling outdoor recreation gear. Check out their magazines and social media feeds. Add the absence of Black staff in these organizations. Visually, it sends a message that nature is a White space where Black faces are out of place.

Safety is an issue for people trying outdoor activities for the first time. There are the usual concerns about bugs and bears, and what to wear. For Black people, the larger fear is how to deal with race-based violence.

Historically, being Black and alone in the woods was not a good pairing. Dogs and slave-catchers. Beatings and more. Black staff make Black people feel safe in nature. It is reassurance that someone won’t call the police because a group of Black people, especially male youth, are having fun hanging out in the woods