Checking in on the right wing critical race theory panic

18 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I actually think Ort got it backward anyway, it’s the people using it ironically that are the people he takes issue with. Black folks that have been using it regularly since at least the 1940s don’t use it with any irony.

I guess more accurately than the ironic/non-ironic framing might be that many people use it sarcastically now as an insult, and those are surely who Ort takes issue with.

ort meant people who use it sarcastically non-ironically rather than ironically using it sarcastically.

smtn smtn inception 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, chakoo said:

Here let me help update you on the 2022 version...

74. Name one problem that led to the Civil War.

▪ a disagreement on both sides
▪ obama

* Tony is an arrogant prick

Gotta memorize this one quickly, I'm going in for my test on Wednesday :dab2:

My 7th graders learn about christopher columbus and they are able to come to the logical conclusion without me forcing an "opinion" upon them. When you give kids all the information they come to their own conclusion. If anything, just sticking to what a textbook says and trying not to hurt white people's feelings is forcing a vanilla and sometimes hurtful opinion on the kids (if they dont fall asleep first). 

• Halal 2

9 minutes ago, johnny said:

My 7th graders learn about christopher columbus and they are able to come to the logical conclusion without me forcing an "opinion" upon them. When you give kids all the information they come to their own conclusion. If anything, just sticking to what a textbook says and trying not to hurt white people's feelings is forcing a vanilla and sometimes hurtful opinion on the kids (if they dont fall asleep first). 

Make sure you wait until grade 12 until you tell them Columbus was attracted to women, though.

Yeah, I never really think about the term "woke" being used ironically by the right from the get-go, but I suppose it has been. But it has now evolved past that point.

So if a right winger is using the term woke to make a legitimate complaint about something, that's what I consider normal usage... people using the term woke to mock right wingers, a-ok.

The original meaning of the word, as used in black culture? Officially dead I would think. Another term co-opted and redefined and taken.

• True 1

2 hours ago, ort said:

The original meaning of the word, as used in black culture? Officially dead I would think. Another term co-opted and redefined and taken.

Black people still use it as originally intended. White people can fight over it amongst themselves :p 

Working as intended:

Close told her students that under the law, one of several recently implemented across the country that limit the ways teachers can discuss racism and current events, she was obligated to inform them that there’s more than one way to view Saturday’s mass shooting. 

On one hand, she explained that authorities are investigating the killings as a racially motivated hate crime carried out by an 18-year-old who reportedly wrote of his belief in a conspiracy theory that white Americans are being “replaced” by people of color through immigration, interracial marriage and integration.

“But I’m also supposed to tell you that that’s just one perspective,” Close recalled telling her students. “Another perspective is that this young man was out defending the world — or his kind — from being taken over.”

and

Close waited for her comment to fully register with her students, then added: “If you guys want to know why I’m thinking about quitting at the end of the year, it’s because of these types of policies — the fact that I have to have this conversation with you.”

But this is great for the people who wrote these laws. If they can replace competent teachers who care about education with ideologues who only care about indoctrination (and who will work in shitty conditions for low wages, for the cause), then they win.

• Halal 1

• 1 month later...
20220616-anti-crt-og.jpg?crop=focalpoint
WWW.PROPUBLICA.ORG

Cecelia Lewis was asked to apply for a Georgia school district’s first-ever administrator job devoted to diversity, equity and inclusion. A group of parents — coached by local and national anti-CRT groups — had other plans.

Horrible. She was hired in a DEI role and because she was black, the local white people said she was going to indoctrinate the kids with CRT. So they drove her out of town. She found a job elsewhere...and they tracked her down and drove her out of that job, too. It's a fascist cult.

• Guillotine 1