12-storey apartment building near Miami collapses, search and rescue underway. "Level 5" mass casualty event.

A $100 million fix, set to be completed next year, involves the installation of piles into the bedrock of downtown San Francisco beneath the building, according to Millennium spokesman Doug Elmets. The piles will then be tied to the existing foundation, he said.

The retrofit, announced in October following years of lawsuits, hearings and accusations, will finally anchor the building to the bedrock.

The original foundation was built into deep sand and experts determined that nearby projects and a process known as dewatering had weakened the soil under the sinking tower.

This seems crazy that they sat this massive building on sand.

So I've been looking into this, as this seems to me to highlight an underlying problem inherent with the concept of highrise condo towers as they exist in the US.

Only a small handful of states require that a reserve fund be allocated/kept for any and all contingencies such as replacing the foundation. A lot of states, Florida being one, theoretically require it, but the residents can vote by majority to waive the fund every year, which has predictable results (they always do).

unknown.png

It puts into a relief a big problem. When something comes up which HOA fees cannot cover, no one is particularly incentivised to do anything about it, which basically makes all highrise condo towers in most states ticking time bombs. They will decay and everyone just passes the buck on responsibility for repairs.

It's an even bigger problem when you consider all of the buildings in which a significant portion of units are not anyone's primary residence, but rental properties. Especially since most of said properties are by the beach and built on basically compacted rubble that turns to sand as the water table rises

32 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

:( 

ap21187099785986_wide-4a8b1b1355fc17ba9c
WWW.NPR.ORG

After 14 days of searching, the operation now turns to a "recovery" phase. None of the victims recovered from the wreckage as of Wednesday morning survived the initial collapse, authorities said.

What does this put the project death toll at? Around 150-160?

3 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

:( 

ap21187099785986_wide-4a8b1b1355fc17ba9c
WWW.NPR.ORG

After 14 days of searching, the operation now turns to a "recovery" phase. None of the victims recovered from the wreckage as of Wednesday morning survived the initial collapse, authorities said.

Could there actually have been survivors, like, two-three days ago?

2 hours ago, Anathema- said:

I love every new tragedy that could have been prevented but for boomers living large and passing all the responsibility and costs to their children. 

I mean, yes, but this is more than just boomers. Basically the entire concept of the condo building in this instance was sold as a way to home ownership without having to pay for anything outside of what's covered by the HOA fees. Then they're like "hey, the foundation is fucked, it's going to cost like $15 million to fix it" and everyone is like "yeah, someone should totally do that, just not me."

It highlights a problem of the entire existence of condo towers as they exist in the US. They're basically privatized projects. Built and then ignored.

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

I mean, yes, but this is more than just boomers. Basically the entire concept of the condo building in this instance was sold as a way to home ownership without having to pay for anything outside of what's covered by the HOA fees. Then they're like "hey, the foundation is fucked, it's going to cost like $15 million to fix it" and everyone is like "yeah, someone should totally do that, just not me."

It highlights a problem of the entire existence of condo towers as they exist in the US. They're basically privatized projects. Built and then ignored.

Privatize the profits...socialize the deaths? Sound's like a good campaign slogan!

8 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

You say it's more than boomers but who thought up this wonderful game of hot potato and does it strain credulity to observe the people who invented the game just coincidentally started the game with the potato too?

7 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

You say it's more than boomers but who thought up this wonderful game of hot potato and does it strain credulity to observe the people who invented the game just coincidentally started the game with the potato too?

You say that as if it was a boomer Republican that worked to repeal Florida laws specifically created to prevent stuff like this from happening. Oh, wait...

210705-surfside-collapse-search-jm-1023.
WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

If a 2008 Florida law that required condos to plan for repairs had still been in place, "this never would have happened," said the legislator who sponsored the law.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

The Miami Herald has published an animated story on the Surfside condo collapse. It includes the engineering concepts inherent in the design, what was left out in construction, and the methods and modes of failure that led to the collapse. It's simply a stunning piece of forensic work:

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/special-reports/surfside-investigation/article256633336.html

• Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I read about this when it first happened and just read Cayce's story. Will anybody ever be held responsible for the shoddy construction and corner cutting?

Not even that much. Sounds like even just having working fire alarms would have given residents several minutes to escape.