12-storey apartment building near Miami collapses, search and rescue underway. "Level 5" mass casualty event.

9 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

Shits getting old, water is getting higher softening soil, it's also fucking hot softening structures. 

Posting this before the mass exodus away from the coast in ~6yr

@Keyser_Sozecan hold out for that La Jolla John McCain property soon

Ok, I never finished my civil engineering degree, I went to the military instead because I had a son on the way, but I can absolutely, without a doubt, tell you that steel isn't "softened" by hot weather. Everything else you said is true, im guessing rising water tables softened an already unstable base, but ten years at 212* Fahrenheit wouldn't even cause steel to soften, let alone whatever temp Florida is right now. 

Now if you told me salt water seeped in and rusted and rotted the beams, causing collapse, that I could believe. 

8 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

so would this really be a lvl 5 then? Seems more like a lvl 3

The Level 5 evaluation was made by the on-scene commander upon arrival and was just an initial judgment call.

The collapse of a 13-story condominium certainly does look like a Level 5 event at first glance.

33 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I don't know if it shares any similarities with the bridge collapse several years ago but it seems like some of these Florida construction projects cut some corners or ignore safety concerns

Or the rising water table is causing the foundation the building was built on to turn to sand, vulnerable to the slightest amount of storm water.

57 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

You don't have to dig too far down in SE Florida to hit water.

It's summer as well. With heavy rains daily, the water table is high, and aside from weakening foundations, that rain may actually kill whoever may still be alive in the rubble as the days continue.

31 minutes ago, Reputator said:

It's summer as well. With heavy rains daily, the water table is high, and aside from weakening foundations, that rain may actually kill whoever may still be alive in the rubble as the days continue.

Oh yeah, the outlook for survivors is getting more grim by the hour. Not just rain, but suffocation.  I can’t imagine the fear and despair anyone still alive is feeling. Terrifying.

So I read the structural evaluation report from 2018. 

The biggest issue was that the parking deck (below ground) was flat, there was inadequate waterproofing, and many of the areas there held water whenever it rained, allowing water to seep into the concrete and crack it. It had been band-aided before, but it wasn't a permanent fix and it really didn't even fix it in the near term. That was what the engineer's report identified as the most significant structural issue that required repair. And they were just getting started on it when the building collapsed. 

42 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
26miami-mystery-promo-videoSixteenByNine
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

A consultant in 2018 urged the managers to repair cracked columns and crumbling concrete. The work was finally about to get underway when the building collapsed.

If only there was some way to have oversight in place to ensure the occupants of apartments / condos / office buildings were safe from owner negligence....

Jesus Christ 

3000.jpeg
APNEWS.COM

SURFSIDE, Fla. (AP) — A “very deep fire” hampered rescue efforts Saturday at the collapsed oceanfront condominium tower near Miami where authorities are racing to recover any survivors beneath a mountain of rubble, officials said.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
26miami-mystery-promo-videoSixteenByNine
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

A consultant in 2018 urged the managers to repair cracked columns and crumbling concrete. The work was finally about to get underway when the building collapsed.

What is the typical turn-around time on projects like this? It sounds like repairs had just gotten underway, which is about 3 years after the inspection and report.

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Jesus Christ 

3000.jpeg
APNEWS.COM

SURFSIDE, Fla. (AP) — A “very deep fire” hampered rescue efforts Saturday at the collapsed oceanfront condominium tower near Miami where authorities are racing to recover any survivors beneath a mountain of rubble, officials said.

when I see deep fire I wonder if this might be because of a Tesla or some other battery powered car. I don’t know how many have seen the Grand Tour, but Richard Hammond crashed a electric Rimac in one of the episodes. If you skip to the 4:25 point of the video. They were talking about how the lithium ion batteries were still catching fire 5 days after the crash (Thermal Runaways) I wonder sadly if the same might be happening in that crushed parking garage 

9 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Not sure what difference the feds could have given here but not a good look for the shithead desantis

This is Florida. There will be thoughts and prayers for a week, then they'll blame democrats for making it collapse.

"If democrats had passed an infrastructure bill that has nothing to do with this collapse,  this would never have happened!"

DeSantis will be fine. That's what sad about this, Republicans never seem to burdened with the personal responsibility they want everyone else to have.