12-storey apartment building near Miami collapses, search and rescue underway. "Level 5" mass casualty event.

• CitizenVectron changed the title to 12-storey apartment building near Miami collapses, search and rescue underway. "Level 5" mass casualty event.

I heard this story on the radio this morning, and my first thought was that this was something you usually heard of happening in some South American or Central American country, not the US. And then the reporters started talking about how the review of this building was just under review this year, which suggested there's probably a lot more to this story than just what we caught on the surface. It's sad that anyone died and that anyone was injured, and hopefully the aftermath doesn't get any worse for those affected.

13 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

I wonder if rising sea levels could have affected the soil underneath?? 

ZYCBWL3ZUBGQXNJKC2BZBCVTTI.jpg
WWW.LOCAL10.COM

Officials say they fear there will be many casualties after a portion of the Champlain Towers South building pancaked when it collapsed early Thursday morning.

Although Burkett confirmed that roof work was being done at the condo building, he said there was no reason for the building to go down like that unless there was a sinkhole or someone pulled the supports out of the building.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

ZYCBWL3ZUBGQXNJKC2BZBCVTTI.jpg
WWW.LOCAL10.COM

Officials say they fear there will be many casualties after a portion of the Champlain Towers South building pancaked when it collapsed early Thursday morning.

Could be issues below-ground:

25 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Between this and the water tank explosion in California yesterday, it's a wild week for as of yet unexplained engineering disasters. 

Ahem...

MICHELLE-5.jpg
WTOP.COM

D.C. officials clarified the status of a pedestrian bridge that collapsed onto D.C. 295 in Northeast D.C., after a truck hit the structure, shutting down the highway.

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Ahem...

MICHELLE-5.jpg
WTOP.COM

D.C. officials clarified the status of a pedestrian bridge that collapsed onto D.C. 295 in Northeast D.C., after a truck hit the structure, shutting down the highway.

At least that took a truck hitting it unlike This for it to collapse

Horrible.  

I know that a building is not infrastructure per se, but I hope this incident spurs Congress into passing the bipartisan infrastructure bill.  If an apartment building can collapse like this, so can our worn out bridges and other pieces of infrastructure. 

16 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

Yeah, if I lived in a high rise apartment building on the beach, I’d be getting the fuck out right about now.

A few years ago I stayed at a AirBnB in a high rise in San Diego, right on the beach.  I'm noping out of staying in one again, for sure.  It even had a basement garage under the building.

When you build on places like south Florida and New Orleans, you're not really building on solid bedrock, it's closer to compacted rubble. A rising water table can basically turn it to sand, and every storm makes it worse.

This is horrible. But I see only 1 confirmed dead and 51 missing for a 13 story building and I also think it's a miracle more aren't dead.

1 minute ago, finaljedi said:

It was an apartment building that collapsed at 2am, I've been feeling like their "unaccounted for" numbers have been remarkably conservative.  Unless that building was mostly unoccupied.

Because of its location, we don't know how many of those apartments belonged to seasonal residents ("snowbirds") who wouldn't be living there in June.

13 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

What are the different levels and their definitions?

Per the Florida Division of Emergency Management Field Operations Guide:

Uniform Pre-Hospital Multiple Casualty Incident (MCI) Procedure Predetermined Response Plan

An MCI will be classified by different levels depending on the number of victims. The number of victims will be based on the initial size-up, prior to triage.

MCI Level 1 (5-10 Victims): Four (4) Advanced Life Support (ALS) Transport Units, two (2) Engine Companies (or equivalent), and Command Staff per local protocol.

NOTE: The Incident Commander or local Communications Center will notify the two nearest hospitals and the nearest Trauma Center.

MCI Level 2 (11-20 Victims): Six (6) ALS Transport Units, three (3) Engine Companies (or equivalent), and Command Staff per local protocol.

NOTE: The Incident Commander or local Communications Center will notify the three nearest hospitals, Trauma Center and local Emergency Management Office.

MCI Level 3 (21-100 Victims): Eight (8) ALS Transport Units, four (4) Engine Companies (or equivalent), and Command Staff per local protocol. 

NOTE: The Incident Commander or local Communication Center will notify the four closest hospitals, Trauma Center and local Emergency Management Office.

MCI Level 4 (101-1000 Victims): Five (5) MCI Task Forces (25 units—each TF may consist of two (2) ALS Units, two (2) Basic Life Support (BLS) Units and one (1) Fire Suppression Unit, two (2) ALS Transport Unit Strike Teams (10 units), one (1) Suppression Unit Strike Team (5 units), two (2) BLS Transport Unit Strike Teams (10 units), two (2) Mass Transit Bus Supply Trailers, Communication Trailer, and Command Staff per local protocol). The 10 closest hospitals and 5 Trauma centers will be notified by Medical Control. The local Warning Point will notify the Emergency Management Agency. Metropolitan Medical Response System (MMRS) may be notified.

MCI Level 5 (over 1,000 Victims, or when regional resources are overwhelmed or exhausted): Ten (10) MCI Task Forces (50 units), four (4) ALS Transport Unit Strike Teams (20 units), two (2) Suppression Unit Strike Teams (10 units), four (4) BLS Transport Unit Strike Teams (20 units), four (4) Mass Transit Bus Command Vehicles, Supply Trailer(s), Communication Trailer Command Staff per local protocol, Medical Control will notify the 20 closest hospitals and 10 Trauma centers. The local Warning Point will notify the State Warning Point, which may activate one or more. Disaster Medical Assistance Teams (DMAT) and MMRS shall be notified. 

• Thanks 1