12-storey apartment building near Miami collapses, search and rescue underway. "Level 5" mass casualty event.

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

You're having a hard day today. :(

I’m just getting over the covid shot. I was hit so damn hard I don’t understand.  My mouth is completely full of canker sores which some people apparently get from the flu. I wouldn’t know I never get the flu. Jesus fuck

tmi?

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Captain Pickle said:

I’m just getting over the covid shot. I was hit so damn hard I don’t understand.  My mouth is completely full of canker sores which some people apparently get from the flu. I wouldn’t know I never get the flu. Jesus fuck

tmi?

f

210701-surfside-collapse-al-0940.jpg
WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

Multiple police officers and rescue personnel said that the vacant, still-standing part of the building was shifting and might also flatten.

Just declare this to be a "search and recovery" operation so the families can begin planning the memorials for their loved ones.  They're all gone.

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
210701-surfside-collapse-al-0940.jpg
WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

Multiple police officers and rescue personnel said that the vacant, still-standing part of the building was shifting and might also flatten.

Just declare this to be a "search and recovery" operation so the families can begin planning the memorials for their loved ones.  They're all gone.

I said exactly this to my wife last night. Stop giving false hope.

12 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

A tourist just walking by decides to film some water coming out of a building. Seems weird to me. Would you ever do that?

Because it's incredibly unusual and anyone that's even barely online will record things, put it out in the world, and go "look at this shit. Ain't that wild?"

What the person heard and saw was enough to make them try and warn residents. The video probably doesn’t quite capture what they were experiencing when they decided to record.

t_4e260d56f61d4d51b820285c5da21188_name_
WWW.LOCAL10.COM

A first responder who did not want to be identified confirmed to Local 10 News Friday that another rescuer found the body of his own daughter Thursday night as he was searching through the debris of the Champlain Towers South collapse.

• Sad 5

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
WWW.LOCAL10.COM

A first responder who did not want to be identified confirmed to Local 10 News Friday that another rescuer found the body of his own daughter Thursday night as he was searching through the debris of the Champlain Towers South collapse.

This is just fucking horrible.

The first responder said rescuers brought her down and the girl’s father draped his jacket over her body and placed a small American flag on the gurney.

Well, I guess 9:27am is good a time as any for a cry :cry:

Biden is down here and said government will cover costs for the next month. He’s been working with the Governor on recovery.

It’s amazing how detached I am emotionally since even sad news doesn’t usually make me sad, but all I had to do was know somebody who knew somebody there and it would have rocked my world.

5 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
WWW.LOCAL10.COM

We had a local emt who was first on scene to his sons death. It was heartbreaking. He never went back to the job

1 minute ago, CayceG said:

I feel like you don't let EMTs work scenes that may definitely involve their own loved ones. 

This is probably good policy, and at the same time thinking from the perspective of being a father myself…you would be in for quite the fight to stop me from being there to work a scene where there is even a glimmer of hope for my child to be alive. Tough stuff, no easy answer of what to do.

5 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Eagerly awaiting DeSantis’s heel turn on this.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if people were pissed that he complimented Biden. Like Trump bringing it up at his rally in Sarasota tomorrow or some stupid shit.

34 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if people were pissed that he complimented Biden. Like Trump bringing it up at his rally in Sarasota tomorrow or some stupid shit.

Hilariously enough, he was trying to convince Trump to NOT come to Florida while he dealt with this. 

29 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The lack of reserves for major repairs is…very short sighted 😬

It doesn't seem that way to the people that are only planning to keep their property for a decade or so and then sell it for a profit. It's like a deadly game of hot potato.

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

It doesn't seem that way to the people that are only planning to keep their property for a decade or so and then sell it for a profit. It's like a deadly game of hot potato.

One should be checking the financial health of the building before buying a condo. This is one of the things a lawyer looks at before the purchase is finalized.

So no, not having a healthy reserve will hurt the value/sale of a unit.