Juneteenth on its way to becoming Federal holiday

I'm not holding my breath. We don't get all the federal holidays and used to get nothing between New Year's and Memorial Day and then this year they gave us MLK Day...but at the cost of IIRC December 24, or the 26th if Christmas Day was a Thursday. Which is fine in terms of we get enough vacation that needing to spend an extra vacation day over the holidays instead of getting it for free as an office holiday doesn't really matter but it's annoying because a three day weekend right after the holidays feels like more of a disruption from getting back into the swing of things after the holidays than relaxing. I ranked President's Day as my top choice in the survey they sent around because I figured it'd be nicer to make it more midway between January 1 and Memorial Day. 

So based on how stingy they were about MLK Day needing to be a swap from a different holiday instead of just giving us the extra day, if we do get it I bet they do it as another swap by making us charge the day after Thanksgiving or something like that. Especially since they were stingy dicks about giving us MLK Day as a swap before they just spent 6 months having to cover an unusual number of people on overhead funds due a period where new contracts for projects was super dry. Maybe SOME tiny nonzero chance to jive with all the internal diversity and inclusivity initiatives they've been doing but like I said not holding my breath. 

15 minutes ago, Jason said:

I'm not holding my breath. We don't get all the federal holidays and used to get nothing between New Year's and Memorial Day and then this year they gave us MLK Day...but at the cost of IIRC December 24, or the 26th if Christmas Day was a Thursday. Which is fine in terms of we get enough vacation that needing to spend an extra vacation day over the holidays instead of getting it for free as an office holiday doesn't really matter but it's annoying because a three day weekend right after the holidays feels like more of a disruption from getting back into the swing of things after the holidays than relaxing. I ranked President's Day as my top choice in the survey they sent around because I figured it'd be nicer to make it more midway between January 1 and Memorial Day. 

So based on how stingy they were about MLK Day needing to be a swap from a different holiday instead of just giving us the extra day, if we do get it I bet they do it as another swap by making us charge the day after Thanksgiving or something like that. Especially since they were stingy dicks about giving us MLK Day as a swap before they just spent 6 months having to cover an unusual number of people on overhead funds due a period where new contracts for projects was super dry. Maybe SOME tiny nonzero chance to jive with all the internal diversity and inclusivity initiatives they've been doing but like I said not holding my breath. 

This is exactly it. It will just be exchanged for one of the "meaningless" holidays. I'm betting MLK ("they already got one") or Memorial Day so that they can make that eternity after the new year without a paid holiday seem even longer.

2 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

This is exactly it. It will just be exchanged for one of the "meaningless" holidays. I'm betting MLK ("they already got one") or Memorial Day so that they can make that eternity after the new year without a paid holiday seem even longer.

I feel like too many people would complain about losing Memorial Day disrupting the ability to do family gatherings/trips on a holiday that people are actually big on taking advantage of for my employer to go that route. We get 4 weeks of vacation days a year so making us charge the day after Thanksgiving as a vacation day seems like the most obvious scenario if they give it to us, 4 weeks of vacation is enough that it's not make or break on your ability to take other vacations, plus I know a significant amount of people have more than 4 weeks banked up (you stop accruing days at a certain point so you can't just not use your vacation days at all, but they otherwise roll over indefinitely) so those people ESPECIALLY probably wouldn't make any noise about having to charge the day after Thanksgiving against their vacation balance.

I don’t think I could possibly care less about federal holidays unless they lead to lots of people being off on a Monday because the theaters always kill Sunday when there is a Monday holiday. The rapid rise in notoriety of Juneteenth is pretty interesting to me.

1 minute ago, MarSolo said:

I can’t wait for racist white people to treat Juneteenth the same way they treat Cinco de Mayo!

Oh Jesus I just had a vision of white people doing just this and I can't put into words just how immediately racist it gets with just the food selection

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Oh Jesus I just had a vision of white people doing just this and I can't put into words just how immediately racist it gets with just the food selection

FRIED CHICKEN, WATERMELON, GRAPE JUICE, AND HENNESEY FOR EVERYONE!

Andy Samberg Rasta GIF

6 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

He's right...but also, these things don't hurt progress. Statues (of good people), holidays, and naming things after heroes doesn't actively help existing causes, but it's a nice gesture. Now, if the gesture is the only thing that happens, then yeah, it's pointless (but not harmful, unless the people making the gesture use it to prove they are fixing a situation).

In a similar fashion, Canada just created a new national holiday, Truth and Reconciliation Day (Sept 30).

CP124336409.jpg?quality=85&strip=all&w=7
GLOBALNEWS.CA

Bill C-5 is expected to receive royal assent later today, in time for Sept. 30 to become the first national day for truth and reconciliation.

It is for commemoration of Canada's genocide against Indigenous people and the Residential Schools policy:

Over the course of more than 100 years, some 150,000 Indigenous children were ripped from their families and forced to attend church-run residential schools, where many suffered physical and sexual abuse, malnutrition and neglect. More than 4,000 are believed to have died.

Canadian Heritage Minister Steven Guilbeault says the objective is to create a chance for Canadians to learn about and reflect on a dark chapter in their country’s history and to commemorate the survivors, their families and their communities, as called for by the Truth and Reconciliation Commission and Indigenous leaders.

The “terrible” discovery of children’s remains in Kamloops is “a stark reminder of the heavy toll of our colonial past,” Guilbeault said in French.

“Addressing the consequences of colonial violence needs to go beyond words … Bill C-5 is an important step in the path towards reconciliation, which won’t be achieved in the blink of an eye.”

The cynic in me thinks that the GOP passed this just to give themselves cover on any voting rights bill. They can point to this and say "see, we care about black people!"

That doesn't mean it shouldn't be a nationally recognized holiday, but it is hard to appreciate token gestures like this when there is such consequential legislation pending.

7 hours ago, CayceG said:

White people should still have to work on Juneteenth.

Let's be real, 90% of people who get that day off will still be rich white people, just like every other holiday. Like I was just thinking recently that the only people who get labor day off are generally people who don't perform any labor. "Celebrate the workers by making them work twice as hard for no extra money while we sit and watch! It's perfect!"

13 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I'm not a Fed :p

Your post about your new job made it sound like you're sitting in a government office though right? Given what you were saying about limited phone/personal internet access during the day with the new job. So what happens for you tomorrow, do you get stiffed on a forced day off without pay, or...???

9 hours ago, TwinIon said:

The cynic in me thinks that the GOP passed this just to give themselves cover on any voting rights bill. They can point to this and say "see, we care about black people!"

That doesn't mean it shouldn't be a nationally recognized holiday, but it is hard to appreciate token gestures like this when there is such consequential legislation pending.

Oh it's 100% a "...let them have their 'tar-tar sauce.'" gesture. 

4 hours ago, Jason said:

Your post about your new job made it sound like you're sitting in a government office though right? Given what you were saying about limited phone/personal internet access during the day with the new job. So what happens for you tomorrow, do you get stiffed on a forced day off without pay, or...???

51 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

Forced PTO day. 

Today is a completely normal work day for me as I still have full access to the work site.