Palworld (Pokémon x Gears of War) - update: 25 million players (15 million Steam + 10 million Xbox)

crispy4000

Palworld's developer knows it's game servers are unstable right now, but it's actively working on a fix.

'Pokemon with guns' finally launched yesterday, January 18, and it seems to have been a smash-hit so far, accruing well over 200,000 concurrent players on Steam in under 24 hours. However, it seems the influx of new players has caused some server instability.

The developer acknowledges as much in the tweet just below, while it thanks players for all their time spent in the game so far. It turns out Palworld's servers have been taking a battering because of the sheer number of players trying to get into the game, but a fix is coming "ASAP."

I suppose this is the reason for the server woes:

Palworld has sold over 1 million copies in about 8 hours since release! 

Thank you to everyone for playing!

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Palworld (Pokémon x Gears of War) - servers buckle under pressure as "over 1,000,000 copies" sold within 8 hours of release

I’m going to play at least some more in this form still to get a better impression, but I will say you can definitely tell it’s early access still.

Button prompts aren’t showing for me which makes learning the tutorial a bit harder. There seems to be a general issue of characters not exactly connecting with the environment. Like, climbing stuff looks like you are hover hands’ing the mountain, not quite touching it. Invert X and Y are mislabeled and do the wrong direction which is kind of funny. Just some general jank and missing polish overall.

I didn’t get guns yet but the gameplay overall seems like a mix of Pokemon, Animal Crossing, and BOTW, beyond the Gears of War element I haven’t gotten to yet. I think I’ll actually like the gather resources and build your little base AC elements but unsurprisingly the BOTW stuff is a bit of a bummer. Mainly I mean having to deal with the stamina bar, and things like eating to restore health and needing to find ways to stay warm when it’s cold/hot. I dislike that kind of micro managing and hope you don’t need to do it too frequently or there is a way to turn that stuff off in the final release. 

I’ll definitely check out more and see if it seems worth playing now, but it does seem like it’s something better to give more time to cook unless you are someone who particularly enjoys early access. 

The Resetera thread is pretty hilarious right now.  Oh no, a game that parodies Pokemon!  It's a bootleg.  Someone call the AI police.

They must not be old enough to remember when actual pokemon clones came out in the 90's and no one got sued.  Nintendo fanboys have a very selective memory about this sort of thing.

• True 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Palworld (Pokémon x Gears of War) - update: 2 million units sold in 24 hours

Pokemon x Gears of War?

It's more like Ark + Pokemon. Even the character creator is one of those "you have to try pretty hard to not make a deformed oompa loompa" deals. Honestly I have no idea why it's part survival game, I think that actually just brings it way down. Any game where I begin by fucking punching trees automatically has an uphill climb to keep my interest these days, as I've been over that shit for like a decade.

That said, the actual Pokemon style mechanics seem neat, but I've not played enough to judge more than that. Been sick, so I'm waiting until I feel better to dig in.

• True 1

36 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Up to 1,291,967 and has dethroned CS2, now the most played game on steam

So on GamePass this is called a Game Preview. Does that mean it’s a timed demo or you’ll need to pay extra to play full game? I’ve never seen any game called that on GamePass before. 

10 minutes ago, Biggie said:

So on GamePass this is called a Game Preview. Does that mean it’s a timed demo or you’ll need to pay extra to play full game? I’ve never seen any game called that on GamePass before. 

That's the designation Game Pass uses for "early access" titles.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Biggie said:

21 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

That's the designation Game Pass uses for "early access" titles.

Yeah, basically what Wade said. Meaning the game is still a work in progress but you can play it. I think We Happy Few started as a Game Preview among others.

15 minutes ago, Dodger said:

4 million sales 6th highest concurrent users in Steam ever, beat out Cyberpunk and Elden Rings peaks. I had no idea this would be so popular. 

Well tbf CP and ER are ass games so …yeah

• Guillotine 1